*****Better Call Saul - Season 1*******

193,799 Views | 1346 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Know Your Enemy
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It didn't make complete sense. But if one thing, Jimmy is true to himself. That's why he gave the money back. That's why he took care of his brother.

Now, he has had self-discovery. He believes that he has more of slippin Jimmy in him than he thought. His brother's lack of trust, the doubt on why he gave the money back, and the recent good times in Chicago - - these all created a new chapter for Jimmy.
Harry Stone
AG
can someone explain to me why y'all think a businessman in a bar in Chicago that got scammed would suddenly be a lawyer at a firm in Albuquerque?

Edit. Santa fe not albuquerque
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
The firm was actually in Santa Fe, and I forgot that lawyers never ever leave the city their firm is located in for any reason at all.
twenty two ags
quote:
The firm was actually in Santa Fe, and I forgot that lawyers never ever leave the city their firm is located in for any reason at all.
seems plausible. after all, that was the kind of bar that everyone who visits chicago goes to. i'm pretty sure it was sitting exactly in between wrigley, the place that invented chicago style pizza, and the fountains from the opening credits of "Married with Children".
mazzag
AG
quote:
Yea it's weird to me that he decides to "break bad" when he finally has a chance to get what he's always wanted all these years...a lucrative job with a big firm and being able to work on a big case he developed. IF I was finally achieving my goal, I don't think that would be the time I would say "screw it."

It's what he wanted all these years because it's what he needed to do to make Chuck proud. He didn't even visit his best friend while he was in Illinois for his mom's funeral because he new Chuck would disapprove. Now screw Chuck.
DG-Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
I still don't understand why he wouldn't go to the meeting.
This bothered me too.
I assumed it was because he felt he would just end up getting used and screwed again.
Burdizzo
AG
quote:
quote:
seems plausible. after all, that was the kind of bar that everyone who visits chicago goes to. i'm pretty sure it was sitting exactly in between wrigley, the place that invented chicago style pizza, and the fountains from the opening credits of "Married with Children".

This would have been too big of plot stretch IMO.
Mr.Bond
AG
quote:
quote:
Yea it's weird to me that he decides to "break bad" when he finally has a chance to get what he's always wanted all these years...a lucrative job with a big firm and being able to work on a big case he developed. IF I was finally achieving my goal, I don't think that would be the time I would say "screw it."

It's what he wanted all these years because it's what he needed to do to make Chuck proud. He didn't even visit his best friend while he was in Illinois for his mom's funeral because he new Chuck would disapprove. Now screw Chuck.
Stat Monitor Repairman
The office clerk that was delivering groceries to Chuck was named Ernesto. Anyone else get the feeling that it could be a potential Gus tie in?
Post removed:
by user
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Because he realized he'd rather be on his own, doing his own Slippin' Jimmy thing and making his own decisions rather than being a part of a group where he had to maintain a respectable image and only do cases that enhanced the corporate 'image.'
Rudyjax
AG
quote:
quote:
This bothered me too.

He wanted it because that is what he needed to do to impress Chuck. Once he relaized he is and will always be Slippin' Jimmy, he realized that is not what he wants. At least in my opinion.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
The bingo rant was key. He was looking at his "future" as an elder lawyer, looking into the sun, calling bingo of all things to get work. The con games gave him energy and let him truly work his talents, not coddling little blue hairs about figurines at $140 a pop. He had 850K staring at him and he knows deep down what makes him tick now after Chuck and now Marco called him on it.

Corporate law isn't for him with people like Chuck, Hamlin, etc.
Mr.Bond
AG
Nailed it
MW03
AG
quote:
That makes the most sense. I suppose he just really didn't want it. Personally, if my brother had called me a scumbag, I'd love nothing more than to take a job and become a partner at a bigger firm and just rub his nose in the fact that he can take his opinions and shove them.

The rub is probably in what Marco said in the basement apartment. He doesn't need the money, he needs the excitement of the con. Maybe Jimmy realized the same thing in the parking lot.

Still, I'd take that job, become a partner, and then condescend to Chuck ad infinitum.
mazzag
AG
Marco also said it was the best week of his life right before he died. Do you want to spend your life proving your brother wrong or the way you want?
91_Aggie
AG
I thought the montage of them pulling cons with the old noir-style overlays of the neon signs and such went on way too long.

Hey Vince, we get it... Jimmy likes to con people... we aren't the 6th grade educated audience that most TV shows aim for.

Rudyjax
AG
quote:
I thought the montage of them pulling cons with the old noir-style overlays of the neon signs and such went on way too long.

Hey Vince, we get it... Jimmy likes to con people... we aren't the 6th grade educated audience that most TV shows aim for.

This ep was all Gould. But a very legitimate critcism.
TexasAggie008
AG
Said it on the last page but....Mike's phone call hasn't been discussed yet. Him asking (likely the vet) "and this is someone you've done business with in the past?"

I think that comment plus the actor that plays Gus saying a few weeks ago at a comicon he'd like to be in the show points strongly to Gus coming into play next season. Article below-

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/03/gus-fring-better-call-saul/
AgPediRPh
AG
Smoooooooke on the water !

Funny but I have a habit of humming/whistling that song too.
Scotch
AG
quote:

Every bit of that montage has a deeper meaning and will resurface later in the show.
Burdizzo
AG
Best I can tell the main point of this episode was to wrap up Jimmy's back story in Chicago. There was a lot of filler in the episode. Some of it may be referenced in the future, but I am guessing a lot of it will not. There are still a lot of open storylines that can be fleshed out without making obscure references to forgettable scenes.
Complete Idiot
The con flashbacks were a bit long to only represent one week, but I have to admit I like all the different con games it referenced. Also enjoyed how well executed the coin con was. But it was overkill.

James was living for Chuck. He gave it the old college try but he had the most fun when pulling the billboard stunt, or the coffee spill, or any number of other moments Chuck would have disproved of. The week with his old friend, and the friend's death, sealed the deal. Getting into a meeting with high dollar stuffed shirts and becoming a part of their system did not appeal, Jimmy would rather be conning someone out back of the bar by a dumpster. And he wants money.

Unfortunately we'll have to wait until season 3 to really move the needle forward on the Jimmy/Saul story since Gilligan has decided to focus on Bogdan, and to a lesser extent Principal Molina, in season 2.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
quote:
quote:
Said it on the last page but....Mike's phone call hasn't been discussed yet. Him asking (likely the vet) "and this is someone you've done business with in the past?"

I think that comment plus the actor that plays Gus saying a few weeks ago at a comicon he'd like to be in the show points strongly to Gus coming into play next season. Article below-

http://uproxx.com/tv/2015/03/gus-fring-better-call-saul/

This obsession with gus is just ridiculous.

Short thread derail.

Two years ago my wife and I were flying back from Italy. We settle into our seats in the cattle section and didn't really pay much attention to the surroundings until my wife gets up to use the facilities about 4 hours in to the flight and when she comes back and sits down she says "holy ****, that's Gus sitting behind us". Caught me totally off guard thinking who? She said "Gus, the chicken guy."

We left him alone other than to say we enjoyed his work on BB when we all got up to deplane, didn't want to bother him and it seemed for the little time we near him either no one recognized him or didn't care much. He was polite and I thought it was funny he was back in the bowels of the plane with us.

I know, cool story bro, but I also don't feel the need to HAVE to have him involved much in BCS.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Unfortunately we'll have to wait until season 3 to really move the needle forward on the Jimmy/Saul story since Gilligan has decided to focus on Bogdan, and to a lesser extent Principal Molina, in season 2.
Are y'all trolling or are some of you guys really this gullible?
Complete Idiot
quote:
quote:
Are y'all trolling or are some of you guys really this gullible?
Trolling, I guess, based on the fact you directly addressed it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Some guy on the last page seemed to buy it, thought that was you.
Complete Idiot
Maybe more wishful thinking on the Principle Molina thing.
AgPediRPh
AG
Chicago Sunroof. Glad he explained it this time
Post removed:
by user
Tobias Funke
AG
Omaha/Cinnabon is post-BB
Post removed:
by user
Thats Not My Name
I would watch a series of just Jimmy and Marco ripping people off.
Mozart Paintings
AG
quote:
I would watch a series of just Jimmy and Marco ripping people off.

Last night was too much IMO

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.