Seth Rogan equates American Sniper to Nazism

15,404 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Wade_3
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
It definitely was meant to be negative/insulting though right? Can we all agree on that? You can't tell me that his tweet falls on the spectrum between "100% absolutely neutral" and "positive".
Who cares if it was intended to be negative? That doesn't mean he was calling anyone or even comparing anyone to Nazis.
I never thought for a second he was equating us to Nazi's. Just being simultaneously preachy and insulting. He thinks many Americans are falling for warhawking propaganda, and is using an over-the-top example from Nazi-Germany to make the point. I think it was a very stupid tweet and that is why many who aren't loyal to him are calling him out on it.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
I never thought for a second he was equating us to Nazi's. Just being simultaneously preachy and insulting. He thinks many Americans are falling for warhawking propaganda, and is using an over-the-top example from Nazi-Germany to make the point. I think it was a very stupid tweet and that is why many who aren't loyal to him are calling him out on it.
Look at the thread title. Lots of people have their panties in a bunch because they're saying that Rogen equated this movie to Nazism. That is the only reason that this made news.

And it's weird that your takeaway from my comments appears to be that I'm some sort of Rogen fanboy.
mhayden
quote:
Yep, the term "jew-fro" is definitely "racist". I am a total bigot for using this term that Seth Rogen himself and plenty of others in Hollywood probably use freely.

"Hey, I was just trying to be funny!"

Isn't that the free-pass that guys like Seth, Bill Maher etc. constantly use when the public is deeply offended by their insensitive comments? All is well, because I was just making a joke, carry on.

That's kind of the point... You seem to want to be up-in-arms offended by what some random celebrity tweeted - one that I'm guessing you don't even follow on twitter -- but then turn around and defend a comment like "jew-fro" as "just a joke", "those people use it freely", etc...

You can't seem to decide if you want to be offended or not... Or maybe it's just that you're not offended by something you think is funny?

I love people who aren't offended by much of anything.

I don't care for people who choose to be offended by everything, but to each their own.

People that selectively choose what they think is offensive and what they think is "just a joke" based on their view of the world?

Those are what we call *******s.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
I am not personally offended, just annoyed. I just think it's a stupid tweet and disagree 100% with his take. I don't think it's propaganda in any way. But I am not surprised a radlib who is from Canada and smokes a ton of pot thinks this way. It's interesting to me that so many are goal tending for him though. It was clearly meant to paint the movie as warhawking propaganda. No sense in pretending it wasn't.
BigRobSA
quote:
It was clearly meant to paint the movie as warhawking propaganda. No sense in pretending it wasn't.
Yep.

He obviously didn't even see the movie.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
It was clearly meant to paint the movie as warhawking propaganda. No sense in pretending it wasn't.
Yep.

He said he did.

But I guess he lied right, instead of thinking differently than you.
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
quote:
Yep.

He said he did.

But I guess he lied right, instead of thinking differently than you.
I can't fathom someone being stupid enough to actually see the movie and thinking it, in any way, was a propaganda piece.

So, it's more than merely thinking differently than me. It's him not being very bright, at all, if he actually did watch the movie and then spouted his idiocy.

Maybe he was blunted while watching. That might explain it.
COOL LASER FALCON
To each their own, man. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I definitely got that feeling with the book.

Edit: Propaganda may not be the right word for my opinion of the book. Self-serving might be better, but similar gist.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
Bet he doesn't have the balls to call CK "self serving".
swimmerbabe11
**disclaimer** I have not read the book and I am not making a statement about Chris Kyle, because I don't know him

There are plenty of people who are/were in the military, who did/do great and terrible things, who fought for our country, and who also happen to be complete a-holes. The two are not mutually exclusive.
God-Family-Friends-Ag FB
That's true. And I have heard that CK does a bit of self-promotion and tough guy macho talk in the book. But the book or the movie doesn't meet the definition of "propaganda" in any way.

I was just making the point that not even Seth Rogen is stupid enough to submit a tweet calling a deceased Navy Seal who fought valiantly to serve his country an "a-hole" or "self serving". He'd get absolutely shredded.

So I stand by my opinion that Seth Rogan is a mush for brains dumbass who was insinuating that this movie was warhawking propaganda. And he deserves any backlash he gets, and he doesn't need a bunch of internet heroes goal-tending for him.
BigRobSA
quote:
**disclaimer** I have not read the book and I am not making a statement about Chris Kyle, because I don't know him

There are plenty of people who are/were in the military, who did/do great and terrible things, who fought for our country, and who also happen to be complete a-holes. The two are not mutually exclusive.
True that.

That has no bearing on the subject of the OP. The movie "American Sniper".

Either Rogen lied, and didn't watch the movie and made his idiotic tweet showing as much

OR

He's merely not smart enough to know what propaganda actually is and made an idiotic tweet showing as much.

"American Sniper" was as much of a propaganda piece as I am small and Asian.
Worm01
AG
quote:

So, I guess we've reached the point of the thread where we just post random thoughts that have nothing to do with the topic being discussed? Cool.

I like my mashed potatoes with lumps, but I understand why someone would like them with no lumps. What I HATE is when someone tells me they are making lumpy potatoes and they come out all runny and stuff, or vice versa, saying they are making non-lumpy and they come out like someone hid whole potatoes in there. I also like a little more butter on mine than others, but to each their own.
Duncan Idaho
To be fair, this thread reached the point of posting random **** in the op.

Tanya 93
MASHED POTATOES ARE VILE! WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA SO MUCH!?
swimmerbabe11
quote:

A man can fight for his country and can also then write a book that was self-serving. That was my point in my last post. It's a valid opinion to have. Thinking that this move is a propaganda piece, is also a valid opinion (especially for an outsider looking in).

I don't see people responding to Unbroken and American Sniper in the same way.
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:

A man can fight for his country and can also then write a book that was self-serving. That was my point in my last post. It's a valid opinion to have. Thinking that this move is a propaganda piece, is also a valid opinion (especially for an outsider looking in).

I don't see people responding to Unbroken and American Sniper in the same way.
Only someone that hasn't seen the movie, or doesn't know what "propaganda" is, would think that. It's as valid of an opinion as "Man, short people really are tall!". Not based upon reality, but yes, it's an opinion.
swimmerbabe11
In the other thread someone posted this
quote:
I found it interesting that the true antagonist in the movie wasn't the Syrian sniper, nor the enforcer, it was evil.

THAT is a recipe for how good propaganda is made. It can be subvert.
ElephantRider
AG
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
I found it interesting that the true antagonist in the movie wasn't the Syrian sniper, nor the enforcer, it was evil.

That's not "propaganda", that's simply "good writing".
swimmerbabe11
BigRobSA
Nice poster. Still doesn't mean anything for the subject at hand.

The movie wasn't, in any way, propaganda.

Good writing, and great imagery, does not propaganda make.
Worm01
AG
Starting to wonder if swimmerbabe has watched the movie.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:

And this has what to do with this movie?
AGinHI
AG
quote:

Murder, beheadings

Rape, torture, sexual slavery
quote:
In Rambussi we were held in a house with five other girls. There they did to me whatthey did to many other girls. I was raped. My cousin was not molested; they wanted to take her to marry her to a man but in the end they left her with us and then we managed to escape. One of the girls said she was not raped but I don't know if it is true; I hope it is true. Another did not talk about what happened to her. The others were raped. The men were all Iraqis. They said that if we killed ourselves they would kill our relatives.

quote:
I was taken to Mosul and kept there all the time. First in a building which they calledthe maqarr (headquarters). We were about 150 girls and five women. A man called
Salwan took me from there to an abandoned house. He also took my cousin, who is 13
years old; we resisted and they beat us. He took me as his wife by force. I told him I did
not want to and tried to resist but he beat me. My nose was bleeding, I could not do
anything to stop him.

quote:
Men came several times to take away some of the girls. Those who resisted were beatenand pulled away by the hair. Some were beaten with electrical cables. I was not afraid of
the beatings, but could not bear the thought that they could attack my honour. We were
constantly told that we would be forced to marry or sold to some men.

Escape From Hell: Torture and Sexual Slavery in Islamic State Captivity in Iraq

Life under Sadam Hussein: rape, murder, torture
quote:
According to a 2001 Amnesty International report, "victims of torture in Iraq are subjected to a wide range of forms of torture, including the gouging out of eyes, severe beatings, and electric shocks ... some victims have died as a result and many have been left with permanent physical and psychological damage."

quote:
Saddam has had approximately 40 of his own relatives murdered. Allegations of prostitution are used to intimidate opponents of the regime and have been used by the regime to justify the barbaric beheading of women. There have been documented chemical attacks by the regime, from 1983 to 1988, resulting in some 30,000 Iraqi and Iranian deaths.

quote:
Saddam Hussein's regime has carried out frequent summary executions, including:
  • 4,000 prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison in 1984;
  • 3,000 prisoners at the Mahjar prison from 1993-1998;
  • 2,500 prisoners were executed between 1997-1999 in a "prison cleansing campaign;"
  • 122 political prisoners were executed at Abu Ghraib prison in February/March 2000;
  • 23 political prisoners were executed at Abu Ghraib prison in October 2001; and
  • At least 130 Iraqi women were beheaded between June 2000 and April 2001.

U.S. Department of State archive

Evil
DB Coach
AG
Yes, they certainly are evil. Instead of everyone arguing over this or that, how about just chill the F out, see the film for what it was...a life story about an American hero. Here is a great article that talks about the ridiculous "debate":

Debate Sparked by "American Sniper"
The Debt
quote:
quote:

Wow. So glad the point went way over your head. If the antagonist was bad brown people the your stupid "us versus them" criticism might make sense. Seriously. Go watch some actual propaganda like Jude Seuss or Hitler Youth Quex or October (Ten Days that Shook the World)

Kyle is struggling against an evil that eventually overcomes him. That is the central story. It's not the sharpshooter or the brutal SOBs, it was these personal demons. This film is can easily be interpreted as anti-war or anti-intervention, but of course honoring a man who has a flag on his arm is repugnant to anti-exceptionalism libs and anti-nation libertarians.
Macarthur
quote:
Yes, they certainly are evil. Instead of everyone arguing over this or that, how about just chill the F out, see the film for what it was...a life story about an American hero. Here is a great article that talks about the ridiculous "debate":

Debate Sparked by "American Sniper"

I respect this guys take but he's basically saying if you didn't serve, you don't know what the f you're talkjng about. The issue, of course, is that there are those that HAVE served that have a diff opinion than his.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:

True that.

That has no bearing on the subject of the OP. The movie "American Sniper".

Either Rogen lied, and didn't watch the movie and made his idiotic tweet showing as much

OR

He's merely not smart enough to know what propaganda actually is and made an idiotic tweet showing as much.

"American Sniper" was as much of a propaganda piece as I am small and Asian.
Or, you don't have the mental ability to look at things from a different perspective.

That's completely normal for hyper-politicized people like you.

Normally when you think you are the smartest person in the room, you aren't (hint- this applies to you).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.