Seth Rogan equates American Sniper to Nazism

15,402 Views | 132 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Wade_3
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/01/18/seth-rogen-american-sniper-is-equivalent-to-nazism/
Duncan Idaho
That is a misleading headline. Saying a movie about a sniper reminded him about a movie about a sniper is not comparing it to nazism.

If someone said that they thought enemy at the gate was a better movie, would you say that they supported communism?
Aggie94
AG
Duncan - "reminded" nothing - Rogan is equating American Sniper to Nazi propaganda.
zgood10
AG
Rogen's essentially calling AS American military propaganda.
chipotle
Hell yeah! 'Merica.
jackie childs
i wonder if the author would've taken a different approach in the article if rogen hadn't been fat?
Macarthur
quote:
i wonder if the author would've taken a different approach in the article if rogen hadn't been fat?

Yeah, what the hell does him being fat have to do with anything?
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
That is a misleading headline. Saying a movie about a sniper reminded him about a movie about a sniper is not comparing it to nazism.

If someone said that they thought enemy at the gate was a better movie, would you say that they supported communism?
Are you dense or do you just like to argue? It's pretty clear why Rogen chose to tweet that out - he feels American Sniper is propaganda on the level of a (fictional) Nazi propaganda film.
boy09
AG
quote:
Yeah, what the hell does him being fat have to do with anything?
It's not enough to blow a tweet WAY out of proportion and write a horribly misleading article, it's also necessary to work in some personal insults.

Who really cares what Seth Rogen has to say anyways?
The Debt
So ask yourself is Rogan trying to be comedic or disparaging?

Unless obscure references are part of his shtick, one would assume the latter. Calling a movie about an American hero propaganda is fairly obvious, but of course idiots who like Seth Rogan or have an ambiguous moral compass go on record saying "well that's just a strict interpretation of what he's getting at"
Macarthur
This is a pretty good article written by an Iraq vet.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/24/american-sniper-real-life-movies-hollywood
boy09
AG
quote:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/24/american-sniper-real-life-movies-hollywood
Are you sure it wasn't written by a Nazi?
cajunaggie08
AG
It didn't help that I just had seen Inglourious Basterds last weekend on tv but I couldn't help but draw some parallels to Nation's Pride after seeing American Sniper and the publics reaction to the movie on social media.
Macarthur
quote:
quote:

Are you sure it wasn't written by a Nazi?
I don't understand what you mean..
Carlo4
AG
I'm sorry but when I saw American Sniper, I thought of two things, in order.

1. Amazing movie.
2. Made me think of the fake sniper movie from Inglorious *******s. Only because it involved snipers.

This wasn't a political movie. Just a hero story.
COOL LASER FALCON
He's just calling it propaganda. He chose the movie in Inglorious Basterds because it's a well known example and about a sniper, not because he's equating anyone to Nazis. Grasping at straws to say otherwise.
Belton Ag
AG
And here's what another Vet thinks about this movie:

http://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2590245/4
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Soldiers die so Seth Rogen can have freedom of speech
Seth Rogen uses freedom of speech to speak opinion about solider movie
Soldiers angry at Seth Rogen for opinion about soldier movie

Dinosaurs eat man,
Woman inherits the earth.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Propaganda? Yes. Nazism? No. Some of you hear only what you want to hear.
boy09
AG
quote:
I don't understand what you mean..
Bad joke. Disregard...
Frok
AG
We are all entitled to our opinion. I think 99% of Seth Rogen movies are extended-adolescence propaganda.
OldArmy71
AG
quote:

And the soldiers also have freedom of speech to disagree with Rogen. No one is limiting HIS freedom of speech, just disagreeing with him. So what's the problem?
mid90
AG
If I was ever partially inclined to take Seth Rogen seriously in any way (or to give him any of my attention), I surely will not after he trolled all of North Korea.
Ronnie
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:

And the soldiers also have freedom of speech to disagree with Rogen. No one is limiting HIS freedom of speech, just disagreeing with him. So what's the problem?
I have zero problem with any of it. I just find it comical that people are upset enough to make threads about it.
swimmerbabe11
The word propoganda has been highjacked by its connotation, resulting in kneejerk reactions we have seen on this very thread.

Allies:
http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Propaganda_Wikimedia_1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Allied_propaganda_films_of_World_War_II

Axis:
http://propaganda.vygo.net/geww2/hohlwei2.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nazi_World_War_II_propaganda_films

Connotation:
https://upworthy-production.s3.amazonaws.com/nugget/4fc67bac6d170000030013fa/attachments/Propaganda_.jpg

One can call almost any advertisement propaganda.

Worm01
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have zero problem with any of it. I just find it comical that people are upset enough to make threads about it.
Yeah, but if you ask any of those soldiers who disagree with this opinion if he should have the right to speak it, they would almost universally agree. They would also agree they have the right to beat his ass if they said it to their face. People too often confuse having "rights" for "not suffering the consequences of your actions".
Macarthur
Actually, they would go to jail for beating someone's ass.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, but if you ask any of those soldiers who disagree with this opinion if he should have the right to speak it, they would almost universally agree. They would also agree they have the right to beat his ass if they said it to their face. People too often confuse having "rights" for "not suffering the consequences of your actions".
No they do not have the right to beat his ass.
jlb2957
AG
Seth Rogen is Canadian... move along fellas.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
What war do we have to fight to earn the right to beat someone's ass?
Worm01
AG
quote:
Yes, that's part of the "suffering consequences of your actions" part I mentioned. Wouldn't stop them from doing it. Nor would the threat of getting his ass beat likely keep Seth Rogen's mouth shut.

Life is a flat circle, man.
The Shank Ag
Loved the movie. Silent march out of the theater with tears in my eyes.

However, I don't hate on rogen as much as Moore (fudge that fatass). The movie isn't 100% true, it did evoke a patriotic emotion From the crowd, Chris Kyle was known to make up a few things, Eastwood made up a few more. There are a few parallels to Rogers comparison, though the biggest thing working against that argument was AS was not a government backed film.

Again love the movie, think chris Kyle was a hero (with a bit of an embellishing/fantasy problem).
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
Yes, that's part of the "suffering consequences of your actions" part I mentioned. Wouldn't stop them from doing it. Nor would the threat of getting his ass beat likely keep Seth Rogen's mouth shut.

Life is a flat circle, man.
You said they have the right to beat his ass.

No they don't.
Worm01
AG
quote:

You think this is a good article?? It strikes me as someone who saw something the way they wanted to see it to support their premise. Confirmation bias at best, flat out ignoring facts at worst.

quote:
Lone Survivor, the highest grossing war film of this era, portrays Navy Seals so adept at killing the Taliban that it seems their only weakness is mercy on goat-herders. In Zero Dark Thirty and Captain Phillips, Seal teams emerge only at the climax, with the long tail of logistical support from conventional aviation, infantry and intelligence units obscured by the shadow of the elite.
Thing is, ALL of those movies are based on actual events. Not to mention that "long tail of logistical support" is 90% of the plot of Zero Dark Thirty and Captain Phillips, and probably 50% of Lone Survivor. None of those movies are like Rambo or Commando where one bad ass is killing all the bad guys. All of them, in my view, show an American military that is far from infallible, prone to mistakes, that prevails BECAUSE of all the people working hard behind the scenes. Lone Survivor is as close to a "one man" show like he describes, but is more about survival than "winning". No one would see Lutrell as winning that battle. He was simply trying like hell to say alive.

quote:
In one scene, Kyle sheds his gear to go help clear rooms with Marines he feels are not trained well enough for urban warfare. It's a moment meant to underscore Kyle's lifelong commitment to protect others, but the ultimate message is that anyone not in Special Forces is sloppy or uncommitted. "Let's coach 'em up," he says.
Again, this is based on actual events. The "ultimate message" was that many of the young guys we have kicking in doors in urban assaults have less than six months of training, while the SEALs with multiple times the training are providing overwatch from a rooftop. Kyle talks in the book about how green some of those guys were. Not that they weren't brave or that they were incompetent. Just that they hadn't been sufficiently trained before being thrust into the fire, while the SEALs and Special Ops guys would train for extended periods of time on a specific mission, just to raid one house or building before attempting it live.

quote:
We rarely see intel soldiers piecing together insurgent networks, or low-ranking officers meting out local grievances in rural Afghanistan.
Oh yeah, we never make spy movies. [/eyeroll] The above description is exactly the plot of Charlie Wilson's War and, again, the bulk of the plot of Zero Dark Thirty.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.