****ing Green Day?!

7,041 Views | 100 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Ronnie
Know Your Enemy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How the hell did they get inducted into the RRHOF? What makes it even more asinine is that it was in their first year of eligibility. There is NO way they deserve that when you see who had to wait years for induction. And can anyone name their 1990 album that made them eligible now? The Black Crowes released Shake Your Money Maker in 1990 and Alice In Chains released Facelift that year too yet neither band was even nominated. What a ******* joke.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have no problem with Green Day, what I don't understand is leaving NIN out even when they were the second biggest vote getters in the poll they put out.
old-Rudyjax
Green Day has had a lot more commercial success than either of those 2 bands. In fact...Green day has sold over 75 million albums.

Black Crowes around 30 million.

Alice in Chains around 14 million, but of course were certainly handicapped.

So whether you like it or not, Green Day is one of the biggest and most popular artists ever.

And after the initial grunge of the early 1990s, had quite a big influence on the music of that late 1990s and early 2000s.
Know Your Enemy
AG
The RRHOF is CLEARLY not about commercial success if you've paid attention over the years.
Bruce Almighty
AG
So what should the requirement be to get in the RRHOF? I'm not a Green Day fan, but they deserve it.
The Debt
nothing says rock n roll like your front man looking like liza minnelli

E.KingTrill
quote:
nothing says rock n roll like your front man looking like liza minnelli

CoolaidWade
AG
I approve. One of the best bands ever.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
I approve. One of the best bands ever.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not even the best 90's punk band.

The Offspring > Green Day
jlb2957
AG
So... a band that started in the underground punk scene in Berkeley and released their first album on a tiny indie label at the age of 18 is supposed to have the same exposure as bands who were signed immediately to major labels and released their first albums on those labels?

Your logic is stupid.

You can hate Green Day all you want, that's certainly your right, but you can't really argue with the effect they have had on other bands in the 90's and 00's. Hell... I'd love you to poll 100 people and ask them which album was more influential: Dookie, Shake your Moneymaker, or Facelift. Dookie blows those out of the water.

GREEN DAY'S first major label record had 5 singles, is rated DIAMOND, and has sold over 20 million copies world wide. It was an album that inspired millions of people to pick up a guitar, go into their garage, and start bands. Ask any band that came out in the 00's if they had Dookie growing up. Oh... and this happened when Punk rock (whether you think Green Day wasn't hard enough punk) did not make you any money.

American Idiot has sold over 15 million copies worldwide and again inspired many kids to hit the garage again. It made Green Day one of the largest bands in the world AGAIN.

Record sales?... check, Grammy's?.... check, influence?... check, longevity?... check.

EDIT: Sorry... Billie was 17 and Mike was 16 when they released their first album.
jlb2957
AG
quote:

Lol.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Was just at the RRHOF yesterday
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:

Lol.

Dookie is great, but Smash is better.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Full disclosure: Offspring is one of my favorite bands.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Backstreet Boys sold a ton of albums and won a lot of Grammys too. I guess they belong in the RRHOF too.
Say Chowdah
AG
Milli friggin Vanelli would be a better choice than bleeping Green Day.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Backstreet Boys lasted like five years and influenced no one. Keep trying.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Influenced no one? O RLY?

Milli Vanilli won more Grammys than Led Zeppelin. Let that sink in.
Deputy Travis Junior
-Green Day is the most famous and successful punk rock band of all time.
-They've been a steady fixture in the larger world of general rock for 2+ decades. You ask a middle schooler in 1992 "who's Green Day?" and they know. You ask a middle schooler in 2014 "who's Green Day?" and they know. That's pretty amazing longevity that's only been achieved by a small fraction of popular bands.
-They've sold 75 million records.

Sure their music is simple. When I was in high school, everybody who picked up a guitar or bass learned Green Day or Blink 182 first. But I don't know how you keep them out with that resume.
The Debt
quote:
Backstreet Boys lasted like five years and influenced no one. Keep trying.

One of their songs got my gf in the mood, so they definitely influenced her...and me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If you're comparing Green Day to Backstreet Boys and Milli Vanilli, then you don't know what you're talking about.
The Debt
quote:
-Green Day is the most famous and successful punk rock band of all time.
-They've been a steady fixture in the larger world of general rock for 2+ decades. You ask a middle schooler in 1992 "who's Green Day?" and they know. You ask a middle schooler in 2014 "who's Green Day?" and they know. That's pretty amazing longevity that's only been achieved by a small fraction of popular bands.
-They've sold 75 million records.

Sure their music is simple, but I don't know how you keep them out with that resume.

So you're saying they are on TeenBop 3 - 41?
Deputy Travis Junior
Heh. Not every middle schooler listens to that crap. At least i hope not...
jlb2957
AG

Doesn't matter... RRHOF.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
If you're comparing Green Day to Backstreet Boys and Milli Vanilli, then you don't know what you're talking about.

I know none of them belong in the RRHOF without paying admission.

And lol at Green Day being "punk".
jlb2957
AG
quote:
quote:

I know none of them belong in the RRHOF without paying admission.

And lol at Green Day being "punk".
I know, right? They're about as "punk" as the Ramones... wait a minute...

Punk rock isn't just hardcore punk and has never been. But this is a discussion for another day.

Some of you are funny how vehemently you hate Green Day.
Belton Ag
AG
LOL at Green Day and the Offspring is punk.

Reminds me of the time I was in school at a party and I was talking to this chick about the kind of music we liked, I mentioned I liked punk and she said "Oh you mean like Avril Levigne?"
Post removed:
by user
PatAg
AG
oooook.....

It's probably not right for them to be in first ballot, but I'm not surprised they got voted in.
amercer
AG
A rock and roll hall of fame is stupid, but green day was kind of a big deal.
twenty two ags
why would anyone admit to liking the offspring? nambla would be a less embarrassing admission.
Madmarttigan
AG
Nothing better than seeing people argue about opinions like they are facts. I don't care for Green Day, but good god who really cares. Music is music and I don't care if anything I listen to is in the RRHOF or won awards... It is all a matter of perspective and opinion. A lot of people liked Green Day, get over it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think Offspring is awesome.
I thinks green day's music sucks and I can't think of any reasonably good bands they have influenced. That said, I wholeheartedly support their induction into the rock 'n roll Hall of Fame alongside such greats such as Joan Jett, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Heart, The Eagles, Metallica... Basically, the premise of the Rock 'n roll Hall of Fame is that if you sold a bunch of records and have been around for a while, you get in. It is not a statement to the quality of the artist's output.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.