I went to the Fury Premier today...

11,561 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by bevokilla
BQ08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Not a troll, saw the trailer in front of Gone Girl, looked like they were trying to emulate SPR and failing miserably. Just my opinion, brother.

I'm a tanker and I'm excited for it. They were striving for accuracy and even used the only working tiger in existence to ensure accuracy. If it was a money grab they would have pulled a Spielberg and used soviet tanks mocked up like german ones.
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
quote:
quote:
Not a troll, saw the trailer in front of Gone Girl, looked like they were trying to emulate SPR and failing miserably. Just my opinion, brother.

I'm a tanker and I'm excited for it. They were striving for accuracy and even used the only working tiger in existence to ensure accuracy. If it was a money grab they would have pulled a Spielberg and used soviet tanks mocked up like german ones.

The Tiger scene was my favorite action sequence. If those things were as strong as the movie made it seem, I don't know how the Germans didn't win every ground battle.
FriendlyAg
Sitting in the theatre waiting for the movie to start and pulled this thread up. Admittedly I haven't read much about this movie or even watched the trailer, so I hadn't formed my opinion. However my father had said he heard a lot of positive talk about it. Then I read this:

quote:
I agree, this does not look good.
Typically movies that come out after the summer and before the holiday aren't that good. Typically!
This one looks like a money grab. Brady Pitt + WW2 + War hero= Butts in the seat. Throw in one of these guys being an Aggie or Texan and you have a TA wet dream.

Then I read.
quote:
quote:
One of the best war movies I have seen. Great performances by all cast members, go see it
This movie immediately jumped into my top 10 all time favorites. The depth and substance in all aspects from acting, fiming, writing, even wardrobe was almost overwhelming for me.

For the book readers/artsy movie types, you have essentially 5 actors on their A games at the same time combined with subtle and not hackneyed symbolism throughout the film. Each scene is placed in perfect order to further develop a character. Many of the scenes and transitions play out like a novel without feeling like it. The dining room scene for the artsy types (admittedly myself) was on the level of brilliance I haven't seen since some of the scenes in The Assassination of Jesse James.

For the "just want to see an action movie" types, there are plenty of action sequences and they're all about as well done as you can do them. Each action sequence is a unique scenario in which the advantages and disadvantages of tank warfare are superbly displayed. There is no shaky-cam, and the movement of the tanks is done to show the unique dynamics these soldiers were dealing with. There is plenty of violence and not just for the sake of it, plenty of Nazi hating (cause **** the Nazis, right?), and plenty of bad-assery going on by Brad Pitt. If you just want action, this movie has loads of it.

For the sake of not writing an entire novel, I will tease this movie by saying I think this movie topped Saving Private Ryan. And I say that as a huge Saving Private Ryan fan.
Professor Frick
AG
So friendly, how'd you like it? More like the first quote or the second?
k20dub
AG
Loved it! It was very real and detailed. Top 5 war movie for sure
FriendlyAg
quote:
So friendly, how'd you like it? More like the first quote or the second?

Definitely the second. The movie is brutally gruesome at times, but it adds color to the story. It's actually really beautiful in a way. They 5 guys have a very romantic view of what they are doing. They complain a lot, but they make sure time remind themselves why they are there.

I have to echo everyone else, the dining room scene is amazingly well acted and shot. It makes you laugh and cry and get angry.

It's really amazing to see how Normans facial cleanliness is a symbol of how war has changed him.

Loved this movie from start to finish.

I think one of my favorite scenes though is the guys in the tank at the end of the movie.
whatthecrunchyo
AG
quote:
Did they do the premier at Benning?
Yes.
israeliag
AG
I saw this earlier today, and while to say I'm in shell shock from a movie would be an insult to anyone who has actually gone through war, this film has put me in an emotional state I haven't been in since watching The Pacific. Small talk seemed just stupid, and throughout the day you're replaying scenes in your mind.

Outside of the last act, it's realism is gut wrenching, and even that part of the film is pretty impresively intense.

I want to say the dining scene was one of the more amazing scenes (Tarantino level as someone else noted) I think to the part that lead up to it as though it were just an extension of that scene, and the part before that and so forth.

Great flow, great character development. The imagery both on screen and thematically were very well woven into the film. Perhaps it was me, but there were a few scenes that seemed to have a deeper meaning: the dining scene reflecting all angles of how Americans appear to foriegners; the scenes involving religion resembling the many stories of the bible with a leader (Pitt) in the role of a sephard (the tank crew); even the recurring motif of the horse (not sure about that one - perhaps juxtaposing it as a tactical precursor to the tank, but that was more WWI). Even the scene of Pitt being led to the commander with the German PoWs with their heads against the wall had an intensity that hardly subsided.
Trident 88
AG
Wow... I thought it was just so-so.

The dining room scene was kind of boring, and the outcome after the artillery barrage was predictable.
The tank battle with the panzer was easily the best part of the movie.
The battle at the crossroads was okay. I would have much preferred to have seen more of it during daylight, and of course, it made zero sense for the SS troops to not just fall back, regroup, and decide to swing wide around the tank and approach it from different angles in the rear to take it out with their Panzerfausts.
FriendlyAg
quote:

The dining room scene was kind of boring, and the outcome after the artillery barrage was predictable.
The battle at the crossroads was okay. I would have much preferred to have seen more of it during daylight, and of course, it made zero sense for the SS troops to not just fall back, regroup, and decide to swing wide around the tank and approach it from different angles in the rear to take it out with their Panzerfausts.

How you thought the dining room scene was boring is beyond me. The acting and the character conflict was phenomenal.

Your comments on the end scene... They did? Lol

Towards the end I realized why they shot it at night. I knew the final shot would be an overhead.
israeliag
AG
I did have an issue with them showing the SS marching towards the crossroads and it appeared that 1 in 5 of them was carrying a panzerfaust. Then when the battle began, they had a shot specifically of an someone opening a crate of panzerfausts and saying that those were all they had. Inconsistent.
Trident 88
AG
quote:
quote:

How you thought the dining room scene was boring is beyond me. The acting and the character conflict was phenomenal.

Your comments on the end scene... They did? Lol

Towards the end I realized why they shot it at night. I knew the final shot would be an overhead.

Regarding the dining room scene, the acting was fine, but in terms of the character "conflict", Coon-Ass was more petulant than actually threatening. I assume that was the director's choice, but I would have had him basically lose it, with Wardaddy reacting calmly just as he did in that scene.

The Nazis basically went right to the left and right of the tank at the crossroads, but they certainly did not swing WIDE to approach it from both sides and the rear. They figured out that it was immobile pretty quickly, so taking the tank out should really not have been that difficult. But of course, the Nazis had to be stupid for the story to be worth telling.
OldCamp
Excellent movie!
The acting was spot on. The action sequences were intense.
I loved the dining room scene.
My grandfather was a tank crew combat veteran and I appreciate a movie that brings this to life for generations to understand.
If I had to provide any criticism at all, it would be the amount of profanity. You would think Scorsese directed the movie based on the dialogue. I'm not a prude, but I found it to be distracting and unnecessary. From my reading and research in WWII, language like that was very uncommon from that generation..even in combat.
HeadGames
AG
Did the tracer fire really look like lasers in World War II? That's my gripe, the overly colorful tracer fire. Hahah
G Martin 87
AG
Thought it was great. The accuracy in combat equipment exceeds any other war movie I can think of. I counted at least 3 different versions of Shermans, and seeing a real Tiger I was amazing. My only substantive gripe is a tactical one (spoiler alert):

SPOILER:

Why did the crew leave all the extra MG ammo on the outside before the battle, thus requiring leaving the tank under fire to get it? Seems like a dumb mistake for an experienced crew to make.

FriendlyAg
Haha that's fair on the last scene. I really didn't mind. I think one could argue "easier said than done" when those guys ambushed and got them discombobulated up close and personal.

I saw the dining room scene as coonass not wanting to actually disrespect war daddy, but still making his frustration known. I think it was demonstrated earlier in the movie how much he truly respected him. I saw it kinda like he was complaining to his dad. He can push the limits, but he knows when his daddy says enough, that he better fall in line.
ElCheAg
AG
I was hungover when I watched it. So may have to watch it again.

What exactly were they talking about when Gordo spoke about fighting in Normandy and the horses?
Trident 88
AG
quote:
Haha that's fair on the last scene. I really didn't mind. I think one could argue "easier said than done" when those guys ambushed and got them discombobulated up close and personal.

I saw the dining room scene as coonass not wanting to actually disrespect war daddy, but still making his frustration known. I think it was demonstrated earlier in the movie how much he truly respected him. I saw it kinda like he was complaining to his dad. He can push the limits, but he knows when his daddy says enough, that he better fall in line.

The initial surprise ambush was believable. Beyond that, the tank was just an armored, immobile gun with very limited visibility - easy to kill with the panzerfausts if they had taken their time. The Nazis' stupidity would have been more obvious to the movie audience if the fighting had happened in broad daylight, so maybe that's another reason why they opted for the climactic scene to be at night.

You're right about Coonass. As I said, he was a petulant little boy to his (War)daddy. Just my personal opinion, but I would have liked him to really fly off the handle, pose a much more ominous threat to the frauleins, and still end up being brought to heel by a calm, cool Wardaddy.

One last gripe:
The SS soldier who used his flashlight to spot Machine obviously alive under the tank wouldn't have hesitated to shoot him, but of course, someone had to live to please the audience.

Again, the movie wasn't bad, but it doesn't even come close in comparison to Saving Private Ryan.
FriendlyAg
Completely agree he would have shot him. IN the moment I thought "huh, that SS soldier looks just like machine at the beginning of the movie.Clean face and strong moral scope that told him not to kill." It was sort of fitting that that despite his progression towards the end, that part of his personality reigned through in the end and kept him alive.

Not sure if the director did that intentionally or not, but I like to think so.

israeliag
AG
Good point Friendly.

Also a thumbs up to not having every explosion having lots of fire and flames, and to the representation of phosphorous.

Were ricochets actually common for tanks in WW2?
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
Were ricochets actually common for tanks in WW2?

Yes. Also, keep in mind that the Sherman was not a heavy tank like the Tiger. The Sherman variants shown in the movie had different versions of 75mm main guns, which couldn't penetrate the front or side armor on most German heavy tanks. The fear of the crews in the movie going up against a Tiger was pretty spot on.
annie88
AG
Saw it this past weekend. Very good movie.
annie88
AG
quote:
The SS soldier who used his flashlight to spot Machine obviously alive under the tank wouldn't have hesitated to shoot him, but of course, someone had to live to please the audience.
I think the chances were good, but I also thought it was an ode back to the beginning of the movie when Norman couldn't shoot the initial German he saw cause 'he was just a kid'.

The solider with the flashlight was 'just a kid too' and maybe he shared in some of that sentiment. Maybe he hated being there when all the boys and children were being forced to fight. Maybe he'd had enough and figured he'd just move on with his moral compass.

Not totally outside the realm that he wouldn't shoot him. Had it been an older solider, he would've definitely killed him.

on another note, I would've covered myself up complete with the dirt and not moved at all.
israeliag
AG
^ he was trying but ran out of time.

Also, weird random acts of kindness did happen by Nazis (even by those who would then go and perform horrific acts). I can attest from the stories my grandfather told me during his experiences in the holocaust.
Trident 88
AG
From screenrant.com:
Screen Rant: One thing I know has been an early kind of discussion point is at the very end of the movie in the moment, of course, when Logan is under the tank and there is this soldier from the other side. Some people have kind of criticized that. To me, I kind of read it as what we were seeing in that moment was almost all the stuff we had learned with his character up until there. This was like the mirror of that on the other side and they kind of have that moment. That kid is like him and he kind of moves on. Is that right?

David Ayers' reply:
That's exactly it. It's not Logan's war. The thing is over in four weeks. This kid should have been going to college, but by that time they stopped the deferments because they were running out of bodies to send in and fight. And the same with the Germans. They were grabbing kids out of classrooms. It's interesting, because that German soldier is actually 14 years old. But the idea is, it's not their war. They shouldn't have been there. And somebody has to rebuild when it's over. There's people on both sides of it. In four weeks they are not the enemy anymore. There's just something interesting about that.

So, the German soldier is in an SS unit, but maybe he was just thrown into that unit and had not been fully brainwashed, yet. Still, if my unit had just finished getting its ass brutally kicked by this tank crew, I would be extremely skittish, very interested in self-preservation, and would definitely shoot at (but probably miss) anything that moved after the battle, especially if I was a nervous as Hell young teenager. But, I get it. The director wanted to send a message.
Cibalo
Watched this moving last night and it is one of the top war movies I have seen. some of the other posters have really nailed the reviews and i would just suggest everyone make some time to go watch it. In most war movies I feel as thought I'm still just an observer but this one gave me a feel that I was right in the tank with them. It was a very powerful feeling and got me thinking that 70 years ago that could easily have been me.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Caught this last night and it was fantastic. Probably right up there with Saving Private Ryan among best WWII movies I've seen. It's brutal and up front about how horrifying war can be, but never feels like it's on a soap box.

I also was a tad disappointed with the ending, though. I also wish the final climactic fight had better choreography. It seemed the nazis spent 30 minutes running around the tank and repeating the exact same motions without ever getting there. That and the center of them could have been edited a bit tighter. The Sherman-vs-Tiger tank was some of the best WWII fighting I've ever seen.

Reminds me of my desire to see a Patton remake with modern action sequences like shown in this movie, if they can find another great actor to portray Patton.
SteveA
AG
Up there with Saving Private Ryan? No. To me, not even close. The Battle scenes (except for the last one) where good, especially the tank battle scene. The costumes and look of the movie were great. I didn't see this character development you guys are talking about. Pitt's character seemed pretty shallow. Sure, he went behind the tank to cry, but I didn't feel any attachment to him or the other characters in the tank. And while I understand the sacrifice made, there seemed to be no real plot to the movie. And the ending was just plain stupid.
OldCamp
Agree. Fury was great, but not even close to Saving Private Ryan.
To this day, SPR still gives me lumps in my throat in a handful of scenes.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Yeah, the more I think about it the more it lags behind SPR. I still greatly enjoyed Fury, though.
BryanAggie2013
AG
Saw this last night and thought it was a very good one.

I will say I kind of agree with some of the critiques of the last scene. I'm perfectly fine with Norman surviving somehow, but I'd have probably preferred we just didn't see the kid with the flashlight spot him. To me it almost kind of flipped the table of the whole good guy/ bad guy dynamic. We see Norman start out as someone who can't pull the trigger on a German because "he was just a kid." Only to see him evolve into a true fighter as he watches many of his fellow Americans obliterated and the girl die in a building and is yelling "F'n Nazis" in the final battle. But then the SS youngster who's just seen a lot of guys he probably considers friends blown to shreds finds it in his heart to just move on.
mid90
AG
Just got back from the theater. Overall I thought the movie was OK. Not great, not bad, just OK. Definitely had some good moments and some good acting, but I had somewhat of a hard time connecting with the movie on a really deep level, a la Saving Private Ryan. It was definitely eye opening to get a glimpse into the special hell that is the life of a tanker, particularly the allied tankers. Those Shermans were so far outmatched by the german Panzers and Tigers, that even with overwhelming numbers on our side, we still lost an incredible amount of Sherman tanks.

I had a really hard time watching the movie because of an elderly couple in my theater. There were several moments where I felt like I was an extra in an SNL skit, because of how loud they would talk to each other during the movie....really disrupted the film at critical points for me.

"Oh my God, look at the scars on his back!"

"Now he's the only one alive"

"Did they screw??"
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Up there with Saving Private Ryan? No. To me, not even close. The Battle scenes (except for the last one) where good, especially the tank battle scene. The costumes and look of the movie were great. I didn't see this character development you guys are talking about. Pitt's character seemed pretty shallow. Sure, he went behind the tank to cry, but I didn't feel any attachment to him or the other characters in the tank. And while I understand the sacrifice made, there seemed to be no real plot to the movie. And the ending was just plain stupid.

This x 100. Anyone comparing Fury to Saving Private Ryan has an obvious hard-on for war movies - which is completely fine - but it's clouding your judgement as to what makes for a good movie in general. While I definitely appreciated the cinematography, action, authenticity, etc., the character arcs were rushed, telegraphed, and just plain laughable at times. As a whole, it tried so hard to feel memorable and important without actually being memorable and important. It featured a lot of very well done sequences, but SteveA is right on - none of it added up to make for a very solid or engaging plot. It's a decent movie, but completely forgettable.
Wrec86 Ag
Put me in the "it was pretty good, but not great" camp. I'm not sure if I was emotionally ready for it, to be honest.

Dining room scene was incredibly uncomfortable to me, and was a huge difference from the rest of the film in pace and overall feel. It was a good scene and well-acted, but I couldn't wait for it to end. Couple very predictable moments, but overall a solid B or B+ for me.
BTHOthatguy
Saw it this weekend. The cinematography is just top notch. I think that's where the SPR comparisons are pretty spot on.

For me the best part of the movie is when you see the Allied bombers overhead and see the feeling of hope it gives War Daddy. As the audience we know those bomber crews took heavy losses, and we even see what appear to be fighters intercepting the bombers.

It seems like in every WW2 movie when the allied tanks roll in that's the end of the battle scene - They have an invincible feel to them when compared to the infantryman.

I love how this movie communicates that there is no escaping the ravages of war for the men who had to go through it. Doesn't matter if you are boots on the ground, in a plane 20,000 feet or in an armored war machine.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.