I went to the Fury Premier today...

11,426 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by bevokilla
COOL LASER FALCON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
War movies aren't really my thing, but I really really loved this movie and I was engaged the entire way through. Might be my favorite of 2014 so far.

The story was interesting because I really didn't know anything about tank warfare going in, but the acting is what carried it for me. I especially thought Shia LaBeouf and Norman were excellent.
LeFraud
quote:
To me it almost kind of flipped the table of the whole good guy/ bad guy dynamic. We see Norman start out as someone who can't pull the trigger on a German because "he was just a kid." Only to see him evolve into a true fighter as he watches many of his fellow Americans obliterated and the girl die in a building and is yelling "F'n Nazis" in the final battle

To me Norman was a new person and felt invinciable by being around his fellow soldiers. When they died, he lost that, and went back to being the innocent kid from before.

It needed another 35 mintues to develop some of the characters a little more. saving private ryan had a longer runtime because they took the time to develop and make the audience care about almost every single member being killed, and they had more than 5 to develop.
jeffk
AG
Except for Vin Diesel... I always forget he's in SPR.
Thunder18
AG
Saw it yesterday afternoon, I thought it was a very good war movie. Shia L did a pretty awesome job and I enjoyed the dining room scene and Tiger fight...probably would've like it more if some dicknose hadn't brought their 3 young children and sat right behind me
annie88
AG
quote:
Saw it yesterday afternoon, I thought it was a very good war movie. Shia L did a pretty awesome job and I enjoyed the dining room scene and Tiger fight...probably would've like it more if some dicknose hadn't brought their 3 young children and sat right behind me
I'll never get this. WHY do people bring young children to such a violent movie. I remember a woman brought about 5 year old twins to SPR, I couldn't believe it. No brains some of these parents. I guess they think the kids won't retain it, but even so, wow. Not to mention the distraction from the kids during a movie so obviously inappropriate for them. Hard to see the preview and think, 'hey, now that's one I'll take the kiddos too'
annie88
AG
quote:
From my reading and research in WWII, language like that was very uncommon from that generation..even in combat.
really? that's not what I've read/watched. Sanitized 40s movies? Yes, real life, seriously doubt it and in many of the documentaries I've seen or some of the reading as well don't find this to be true. But, I wasn't there and can't say that definitively, but I seriously doubt the language wasn't just as course as today.
Btron
AG
quote:
quote:
This x 100. Anyone comparing Fury to Saving Private Ryan has an obvious hard-on for war movies - which is completely fine - but it's clouding your judgement as to what makes for a good movie in general. While I definitely appreciated the cinematography, action, authenticity, etc., the character arcs were rushed, telegraphed, and just plain laughable at times. As a whole, it tried so hard to feel memorable and important without actually being memorable and important. It featured a lot of very well done sequences, but SteveA is right on - none of it added up to make for a very solid or engaging plot. It's a decent movie, but completely forgettable.

This is what I derived from the trailer. I'm just not as good with my words like TC is.
agracer
AG
quote:
quote:
One of the best war movies I have seen. Great performances by all cast members, go see it

For the "just want to see an action movie" types, there are plenty of action sequences and they're all about as well done as you can do them. Each action sequence is a unique scenario in which the advantages and disadvantages of tank warfare are superbly displayed. There is no shaky-cam, and the movement of the tanks is done to show the unique dynamics these soldiers were dealing with. There is plenty of violence and not just for the sake of it, plenty of Nazi hating (cause **** the Nazis, right?), and plenty of bad-assery going on by Brad Pitt. If you just want action, this movie has loads of it.

For the sake of not writing an entire novel, I will tease this movie by saying I think this movie topped Saving Private Ryan. And I say that as a huge Saving Private Ryan fan.
Dear Lord Baby Jesus, wrapped in swaddling cloths in the manger, please tell me Hollywoods fascination with this particular folly is his coming to an end!
Ulrich
I think this one will stand the test of time. It's gritty and real and personal. Lots of attention to detail shows how seriously they took their own movie. It's got that mix of tension, painful scenes, gory but not gratuitous violence, and beautiful visuals and sound effects to create a number of scenes that I think will be iconic. I'm rarely affected by movies and the danger to protagonists prior to the climax, but I don't think I breathed during the entire Tiger tank scene. The one thing that really sounded an off note was how easy it should have been to take out the tank at the end. They should have at least contrived to put the tank somewhere it would be difficult to get behind.
BQ08
AG
They threw track... You can't move at all after that.
Ulrich
I meant the writers, not the tank crew.
OldCamp
quote:
really? that's not what I've read/watched. Sanitized 40s movies? Yes, real life, seriously doubt it and in many of the documentaries I've seen or some of the reading as well don't find this to be true. But, I wasn't there and can't say that definitively, but I seriously doubt the language wasn't just as course as today.
I think today's "PG-13" language was used in extreme situations back then, but today's "rated R" language was generally shunned. The really crude, sexually oriented terms were scarce. I've heard stories of soldiers being disciplined for foul language during WWII. Social norms have changed a lot in 70 years
Teacher_Ag
AG
Just saw it.

Really nice "eye candy" for a history nerd and I liked most of the movie right up until the completely absurd "final stand". The idea of an immobilized Sherman wiping out dozens and dozens of German troops is pure Hollywood. That one segment of the movie was bad enough to tarnish the rest of it for me, unfortunately.

Also, not sure how to feel about shooting the unarmed POW in the back. Were they trying to use the 'he's wearing a US jacket' thing as a justification for executing him or what? I didn't know how that was intended to make us feel about Pitt's character. It made me dislike him...not sure that was intended.

Movie gets a B. Will have to remind my students seeing it that if Germans were that dumb they wouldn't have overrun most of Europe.
israeliag
AG
^ Sure sure, compared to the Polish and French.
Teacher_Ag
AG
What?
israeliag
AG
Sorry, that was in response to:

quote:
if Germans were that dumb they wouldn't have overrun most of Europe.
OldArmy71
AG
quote:
I think today's "PG-13" language was used in extreme situations back then, but today's "rated R" language was generally shunned. The really crude, sexually oriented terms were scarce. I've heard stories of soldiers being disciplined for foul language during WWII. Social norms have changed a lot in 70 years.
My comments are a sidebar to this discussion--intense and gritty film, by the way--but Paul Fussell, who was a 2nd Lt. in the infantry and served in combat during WWII, has written a book entitled Wartime (1989) in which he has a whole section called "Fresh Idiom." His point therein is that both British and American troops, especially the enlisted ranks, used wild, imaginative obscenities as a way of dealing with the obscenities of war and as a way of attaining an anarchic freedom (in language) denied them in their daily regimented lives. Fussell uses numerous and pretty convincing examples to prove his case.

A couple of other somewhat anecdotal examples leap to mind: Norman Mailer, a veteran of the Pacific campaign, used the F word extensively (though disguised as "fug") in The Naked and the Dead, and William Manchester, who fought as a Marine in the Pacific campaign, also makes use of the dreaded F in his memoir Goodbye, Darkness.

It is also clear that upon their return to the States, veterans cleaned up their speech and feigned horror at the uses of obscenities they were probably quite familiar with.
OldArmy71
AG
quote:
What exactly were they talking about when Gordo spoke about fighting in Normandy and the horses?
0 If you mean what literally were they talking about, they are reliving the battle that concluded the Normandy campaign, the battle of the Falaise Gap, also called the Falaise Pocket. From August 12 to August 21 1944, the Allies surrounded a force of about 50,000 Germans and annihilated most of them, although some escaped over the Seine.

The result was a scene of incredible carnage. From Wiki:

quote:
The area in which the pocket had formed was full of the remains of battle. Villages had been destroyed and derelict equipment made some roads impassable. Corpses of soldiers and civilians littered the area along with thousands of dead cattle and horses. In the hot August weather, maggots crawled over the bodies and hordes of flies descended on the area. Pilots reported being able to smell the stench of the battlefield hundreds of feet above it.
A famous quote from Eisenhower:

quote:
The battlefield at Falaise was unquestionably one of the greatest "killing fields" of any of the war areas. Forty-eight hours after the closing of the gap I was conducted through it on foot, to encounter scenes that could be described only by Dante. It was literally possible to walk for hundreds of yards at a time, stepping on nothing but dead and decaying flesh.
bjh19
AG
Just saw it. Thought it was one of the better war movies. It gave war a different perspective.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Saw it last night. Beautifully shot and constructed. Characters were wonderfully acted (though Jon Bernthal still can't perfect a Southern accent, bless his heart). I thought the dining room scene was perfect. Literally. It was up there with the opening scene in Inglorious Basterds, the Italian restaurant scene from the Godfather, and the final con scene from The Sting.
It was a very good movie, but the final battle scene kept it from being a great movie. It just required too much suspension of belief.
YouBet
AG
Very good and extremely tense.
chipotle
Redbox'd. Good stuff. Germany good. America bad.
bevokilla
AG
I thought it was OK. I had to turn on subtitles because outside of Machine and Brad Pitt, I couldn't understand anyone else

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.