GOTHAM

48,273 Views | 358 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by MooreTrucker
65532ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought it was enjoyable for a pilot. Probably could have done without all the villain cameos so hopefully they cut them out as the season goes on while focusing in more on the main villain who I guess is penguin. I'll be tuning in to see where it goes, the potential is there in my opinion. Gordon character was good as was Harvey.
redline248
AG
I liked it overall. Thought it had some of the typical pilot struggles and some cliche scenes. I'll keep watching though.

I'm guessing the little girl thief is Cat Woman? How much will Bruce Wayne actually be visible in this show?
FL_Ag1998
AG
Ahh, didn't know that about the joker character. Thanks.

I did like Gordan and Bullock, but agree with the other comments that Fish Money was way over acted - and like ya'll, I expected that from Pinkett-smith.
jbsj9698
AG
I thought the acting was forced all the way around. I'll give it a few more episodes.
zap
AG
I thought it was great. Some of the characters were over acted, but overall it was pretty good. I especially liked the Bullock/Gordon interactions.
Dro07
AG
quote:
I thought it was great. Some of the characters were over acted, but overall it was pretty good. I especially liked the Bullock/Gordon interactions.
I agree... not sold on assburgers Penguin yet. Seems a bit off to me i guess from what i am used to
Jasomania
AG
I liked it for the most part my only complaint is that it felt rushed. I'd have liked it if they had kept Bruce's parents alive for an episode or two and establish them as people before killing them off. I figured they'd kill them in the first episode but not literally during the first scene. Past that I think the Cameos were a little distracting but I get that they are trying to give us a taste and introduce every one so I let that slide. Overall though I liked it and think its all ready done a better job in one episode than SHIELD did in an entire season (though I know that isn't saying much).

A couple of things stood out. I liked they are using the Batman: Earth One version of a badass Alfred. I think they are really rushing the Bruce Wayne to batman transition, even if you kill his parents opening scene at least give him a little time to grieve before he starts his batman training. Why they changed Poison Ivy's name from Pamela Isley to Ivy Pepper is beyond me. The producers have implied there is a reason for this that will be revealed so I'll reserve judgment for now.
Sex Panther
AG
Thought it was pretty meh. Jada Pinkett is terrible and clearly going to be a large character. Don't really care for their take on The Penguin but I think the Penguin is kind of a lame character anyway.

It's been said by everyone, but the overload of villain cameos was just dumb. I guess they felt that since this is Batman without Batman they had to throw in all of these characters to keep viewers interested. What was the point of having Edward Nygma and Poison Ivy in this episode? It's like they're worried they'll get cancelled and all of their clever ideas for villain origins won't get used. I am fully expecting next episode to see Jonathan Crane in Bruce's class getting in trouble for trying to scare other kids, and then to see a little Bane doing pushups on the playground with an asthma inhaler...

And I don't know why they changed Poison Ivy's name... I guess they think that since this is on Fox, that it'll be a lot of casual viewers and they wouldn't get it. So instead of her real name of Pamela Isley, we'll just rename her Ivy and have her by plants everytime she's on camera... brilliant.

I wonder what their master plan is? If this show goes 5 or 6 seasons (I think it'll be cancelled personally), are they eventually going to have Batman? That would require a time jump... I think it would be cool to have villains that grew up with Bruce introduced, like Roman Sionis (Black Mask) and Tommy Elliot (Hush). But those are much lesser known (but way better) characters than Poison Ivy and The Riddler.

I'll keep watching because I like Batman, but I was underwhelmed.

And I think the comedian was definitely supposed to be a Joker nod.
Dro07
AG
I think the series will end with Batman in the shadows at Gordons office telling him thanks for what he has done and he will take it from there.... The end, Gotham credits
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Which one was Edward Nygma? Also I did not see the point in Catwoman's random appearances other than to portray her as a stalker. And since when is she older than Bruce?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Which one was Edward Nygma? Also I did not see the point in Catwoman's random appearances other than to portray her as a stalker. And since when is she older than Bruce?

I wonder if her role as a witness to the Waynes' murder will be important?
Dro07
AG
quote:
Forensics guy
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Which one was Edward Nygma?

The guy who did the ballistics report for Gordon and Bullock on the bullet that killed the Waynes. The one who kept talking in riddles... Also the guy that's name was said about three times as Edward Nygma... He was pretty easy to miss though.
AgMarauder04
AG
I understand introducing Batman villains, but why did they need to overload us? Seeing Penguin would have been good since he bolted at the end. That would have been enough.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Sex Panther hit the nail on the head. The amateurish writing lead them to throw a ton of big name Batman villains in this very first episode, and then do it in a painfully obvious, cheesy fashion. And then the overacting by many of the actors involved just highlighted the deficiencies in the writing.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I think better writers would have slowed it down and not been so painfully obvious in the character development/introduction. As has been said, the Wayne's shouldn't have been killed until the very end of this first episode, at the earliest, and only one or two at most major bad guys should have been introduced. The writers are clearly shooting for the lowest common denominator audience-wise.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:
Which one was Edward Nygma?

The guy who did the ballistics report for Gordon and Bullock on the bullet that killed the Waynes. The one who kept talking in riddles... Also the guy that's name was said about three times as Edward Nygma... He was pretty easy to miss though.

This. Did you even watch the show?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
quote:

I wonder if her role as a witness to the Waynes' murder will be important?

I'm guessing young catwoman gives Bruce his mother's necklace at some point, revealing she followed the killer and he threw the items away, which will spurn forward that plot as proof the killer was a hired gun and not a random mugger.

Maybe Ivy is a foster child and that's why they use her last name.
TCTTS
AG
I lasted 20 minutes, then had to turn it off. This show is hot trash. I know I'm going to sound like an elitist critic or something, but how do you guys enjoy network crap like this? This played like a high school production of the Batman mythos, just one that happened to be given a sizeable budget for some insane reason. The acting, dialogue, and cameos were so bad. It seriously felt like it was made for 12 year olds (which it probably was).

I completely understand the desire to just kick back and enjoy an hour of mindless TV, and not wanting the emotional commitment to something like The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, or Mad Men. I totally get that. But I honestly can't comprehend being entertained by this show. Like someone said earlier, every single scene was aiming at the lowest common denominator. It was all just astonishingly bland, derivative, and on-the-nose.

Whoever said we should have spent a couple episodes with the Waynes before their death was exactly right. Instead, we pick up with the EXACT same scene we've already seen at least twice before, just dialed back into the most generic, emotionless version imaginable. Why not spend at least an episode with the Waynes - and with Gordon arriving at the GPD - and then have the Waynes murdered at the end of the pilot, setting things up that way? Why not have that inevitable sense of dread? Why not do something even slightly different? With just an ounce of originality?

I will never understand why network dramas have to be this bad, and why they almost always have to aim for the absolute dumbest of the Walmart and/or teen crowd. Why is it so hard to make shows that aim at those crowds, but also inject even half the quality of an HBO-caliber show? It really is depressing.
Sex Panther
AG
Nah you're right TC, I knew it was bad when I was watching it, but like I said, I just really like Batman and want it to be somewhat entertaining... but it just doesn't look like it will be.

Poorly acted, poorly written, and way too much stuff thrown out in the first 20 minutes for crying out loud...

And it was really, really bland... I don't think Gordon is that great, Penguin is too over the top, and Jada Pinkett is acting like this is her Walter White opportunity.

I definitely think they should've had the Waynes be prominent characters for a while, perhaps even all of season one. Maybe show Thomas's interactions with people like Falcone and the Mayor and his stance on doing the right thing no matter what. Then have them murdered so there's a real emotional attachment to it. Maybe even have season one end with the iconic alley scene. But I guess the whole plot for this first season is "Who killed the Waynes?"

And yeah, these shows are just so bad after watching shows on HBO, AMC and even FX... I fully expect Daredevil to blow this out of the water.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Why you gotta trash Walmart?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I definitely think they should've had the Waynes be prominent characters for a while, perhaps even all of season one. Maybe show Thomas's interactions with people like Falcone and the Mayor and his stance on doing the right thing no matter what. Then have them murdered so there's a real emotional attachment to it. Maybe even have season one end with the iconic alley scene. But I guess the whole plot for this first season is "Who killed the Waynes?"

And yeah, these shows are just so bad after watching shows on HBO, AMC and even FX... I fully expect Daredevil to blow this out of the water.

That would have been awesome. The movies or TV have never really followed the Waynes before their death, and an entire season of that is ripe with possibility. I totally get why the creators chose their death as the catalyst for the pilot, but I feel like it wouldn't have been hard at all to come up with a different one, and then build up to it. The idea of ending season one with the alley scene seriously gave me chills. That could have been so cool, and doing it that way would actually give a legit reason for revisiting that plot point yet again.

And yeah, I think Daredevil has the chance to be phenomenal. If anything, it'll be cool to finally see a superhero TV show that doesn't belong on the CW.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Why you gotta trash Walmart?

A spade is a spade. Though, in principle, I have nothing against Walmart. Or spades.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I really hope DD ends up being great. He's such a great character and the movie did him no justice.
Murder Hornet
AG
This is how I would prefer future solo batman movies to work. We don't need a new take on the origin every time. Plug in a new actor and go all James Bond
TajMaballer
AG
I wonder how much of "lowest common denominator" (which I 100% agree with) was from the Network and how much was from the directors/writers. SP and TC both just put together a much more compelling story and plan of action in just a few sentences. The people who are going to watch the show are already people who know Batman and the big time villains (if there is anybody here who knows nothing about Batman, please put your opinion. I am genuinely curious).

My biggest complaint was that shaky cam angle they used during Gordon's chase of Pepper. I usually love it (unpopular opinion, I know), but it didn't work for me.
GinaLinetti
AG
Loved the first episode. Digging the take and the potential character development. Always enjoyed the franchise.
TCTTS
AG
VULTURE: Seriously, Though, How Many Times Do We Have to Watch Batman's Parents Die?
The Debt
I blame the batman movies prior to Nolan every damn batman had to give the character depth.
rononeill
damn - missed it. how was mckenzie? went to middle school with him. didn't piece that together throughout the entire OC series, then figured it out during Southland
fig96
AG
quote:
My biggest complaint was that shaky cam angle they used during Gordon's chase of Pepper. I usually love it (unpopular opinion, I know), but it didn't work for me.

I thought that was odd and really out of place as well.

Recorded last night and watched tonight, and as a huge fan of the character I really wanted to like it.

I'll keep watching because I want to see where it goes, but it felt kinda rushed and parts were really forced. Look at this girl going around all catlike. Look at this girl named Ivy with all the plants. Look at this guy who won't give a straight answer and keeps asking questions. Look at this guy who walks like a penguin and hey let's all comment on that several times. Take your time, give us one or two major characters then drop little tidbits and cameos in later on. I'd much rather be talking about that cool little bit that most people didn't catch then read the article Yahoo or Buzzfeed would love to write titled "3 Cool Easter Eggs You Missed in This Week's Episode of Gotham".

Even Gordon's entrance seems a little rushed, we didn't really need to see him as "the man" in his first scene. I like him as an actor although he played it a bit overly hard-nosed at times. Donal Logue wasn't bad as Bullock but seemed kinda over the top, you can be gruff and cynical without just hating everyone and everything all the time.

I do like the general way they've shot Gotham, the night shots in particular looked great. The semi-anachronistic/non-specific time period is kinda cool as well (love the 80s looking detective car) and the casting of Bruce and Alfred seems pretty spot on. So yeah, it wasn't great, but I'm going to give it a bit of time and hope it finds it's groove.

As per the story, I love the idea of delaying the Waynes' death a bit, maybe even have Gordon meet them at a charity event or something and have a bit of a warm connection with them. Then near the end of episode one Bullock and Gordon get a call to report to a homicide scene, they grab their coats and head for the door.

The last image of the episode is a crane shot pulling away from Bruce on his knees in the alley, his parents lying beside him.
Sex Panther
AG
Good analysis Fig
JCRiley09
AG
When Gordon was missing, Bullock says something about his phone running out of juice on stakeout. What time period is this?
drewser95
AG
quote:
Rawls!!!

Maury Levy had a cameo too. In the cold open.
Geralt of Rivia
S
I watched it earlier. I thought it has a lot of potential and thought it was pretty enjoyable. I give pilots a pass though since a lot of times they are trying to make sure they get picked up. If I'm not enjoying it more in 4-5 episodes I'll give up on it

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.