* * * Boardwalk Empire Season 2 Thread * * *

33,899 Views | 472 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Heisenberg
aCosmicBandito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure if Capone was showing strictly jealousy about Jimmys son being normal. I think he was more intrigued by the patience and tenderness Jimmy showed to his son teaching him to tie his shoelaces and was having a moment of self reflection. Very different than the way Capone acted around his family in Chicago. That moment didn't last long though and he quickly slipped back into his tough guy demeanor telling 'Frankenstein' that his wife is a ***** when he asks how she has been.
OnlyForNow
AG
Yes, I have to agree with the above poster mostly.
But I think Capone lashed out because his pride/self image is hurt. He knows his son, the son he made, is deaf, in his eyes a failure and will never be strong like his dad. He feels sorry for himself, and in typical little guy-tough guy mentality takes it out on someone "weaker".

Van Aldean's gift of the phonagraph is a sign of bad news I think. I think he is starting to actually care for Lucy; and not just treat her like his future child's ride at the moment. Which when he was yelling at her talking about how she was given this great task (etc) I felt like he was really just going to take the baby and either kill her or get rid of her and take the baby as his and his wife's own. Now I don't see that.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
But what of Van Alden's motivation to buy the phonograph, tied into Lucy's claim that Nucky was fun and him later asking that same question? Why would he suddenly be concerned with comparing himself to how Nucky is perceived?
zap
AG
For all of Van Alden's bravado, he is terribly insecure. His motivation for purchasing the phonograph was in part pragmatic (to keep Lucy appeasesd) and just good old-fashioned ***** envy of Nucky.
OnlyForNow
AG
What was the deal he has worked out with Lanskey? I was suprised they were dealing together, and Van Aldean is just looking the other way as the booze is being loaded up.

Anyone not get why that was happening?
The D
AG
I think he was getting a piece of the take to not bust the place. Remember he needs more money now that he is playing for Lucy to stay there
Stive
AG
He's also using him as an informant. He was telling him about a few speak easy places he could bust.

And Lansky is not his name. Can't remember what it is (starts with a D I think). Lansky is with Luciano in New York.

You may have known that....just didn't want to confuse other readers.
HtownAg92
AG
He's working with Mickey Doyle, who lost his booze business to Chalky (through Nucky) and has been all kinds of peeved since. If I recall correctly, he also was working with the Italian hoods who tried to kill Nucky that Lucky / AR gave up as part of their peace treaty.
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
If I recall correctly, he also was working with the Italian hoods who tried to kill Nucky that Lucky / AR gave up as part of their peace treaty[

That's correct. When Nucky assisted Rothstein with evading Black Sox liability, Rothstein gave him the Italians and we got the epic sequence with Jimmy, Harrow, & friends mowing down the Italians, including the brutal slitting of the throat in the barber's chair. I'm still not fully recovered from that.
Stive
AG
quote:
including the brutal slitting of the throat in the barber's chair. I'm still not fully recovered from that

I handled that a LOT better than I handled the face cutting scene in the Chicago brothel! WOW!!!!!

And Doyle...that's what I was thinking of.
WestTxAg06
AG
Good grief man, why did you have to bring up the face cutting scene? I had just about purged that from my memory.
Heisenberg
i just realized that nuck and elis dad is also carmella sopranos dad.
Heisenberg
quote:
I did, however, like the Vaudeville comedian (who's been in one or two other episodes at Babette's) for his part. It's a small part of the last episode and overall, but I just love the authenticity of his character, voice, and his corny-ass jokes.

"Oh the dumber they come, the better I like em, cause the dumb ones know how to make loooove."

cone
AG
the irishman is badass
LHIOB
AG
quote:
i just realized that nuck and elis dad is also carmella sopranos dad

I got that this week too. I wouldnt mind seeing Dominic Chianese again. Uncle Junior was one of my favorite characters on the Sopranos.

Im sorry but right now the Irishman is just another version of Furio. I hope the writers prove me wrong, but they are too similar right now. The scene where he went and made a point for Nucky was not as badass as the massage parlor scene Furio had, but in each they busted ass and showed restraint to send a message.

I love how this show can include so many real life people and events.

We all know that Buscemi is awesome but this cast top to bottom is the best on TV. Breaking Bad has the all-star but this team is just great. Stephen Graham is owning Capone and Michael Shannon has made Val Alden one of the most bizarre characters on TV.

I cant wait to see where this story goes, but I hope we get a whole lot of Capone in Chicago.
cone
AG
quote:
I wouldnt mind seeing Dominic Chianese again.

he's been in some episodes this season

he's the old dude with the muttonchops

20ag07
quote:
Following resounding critical approval for the series’ second-season debut on Sept. 25, HBO has renewed BOARDWALK EMPIRE for a third season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO.
LHIOB
AG
SuperDave, I know that was him. Id like to see more of him.
cone
AG
oh okay
OnlyForNow
AG
That's for the calification on the names! I messed that up. Doyle is an interesting character also, almost like he has a mental issue or actual retardation kinda thing and he certainly doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.
Spaceship
AG
LHIOB - I agree, this collective cast is phenomenal.
zap
AG
I'd rather watch 100 throat slittings than endure another creepy manicure scene with Mama Darmony.
nai06
AG
the scene that got me was when van alden was interrogating the liquor runner. In an effort to get him to talk, he shoved his hand into the guys shotgun wound to the stomach
Btron
AG
I view Van Alden as having more of a serial killer mind set. Keeping Lucy locked up and hold her back from enjoying life is very creepy to me. He reminds me of Buffalo Bill keeping girls locked up and make them do certain things for his good only. Dude just creeps me out...
Eli and his dad: When his dad says "Nucky is in over his head" I think Eli has some regret on how things are going down. Blood is thicker than water. I can see Eli turning on the Commodore and getting back with Nucky.
The dialogue at dinner with Nucky, Commodore and Jimmy was great. That was a good calm and cool interaction.
double aught
AG
quote:
Eli and his dad: When his dad says "Nucky is in over his head" I think Eli has some regret on how things are going down. Blood is thicker than water. I can see Eli turning on the Commodore and getting back with Nucky.
The dad had his sons confused. He thought he was talking to Nucky, telling him how Eli didn't know what he was doing and needed his help. That's why Eli had that look on his face. If anything, it would make him more resolute, wanting to show that he's as capable as his brother.
HtownAg92
AG
Poor Eli - he's always known and resented that he was not the stronger, favored son, and that confused jab from dad had to have hurt. I think he also realizes that not only is he in over his head, but that he's on the wrong side of this "young man's game". Did you see the look of shock and concern on his face when he walked into the room and saw how old the Commodore's cronies were?

Jimmy gets it. He sees how Lansky, Lucky and Al are gaining power from under their older bosses. And although Nucky is no spring chicken, he is "younger" compared to the Commodore and his boys, and has all of the current connections (up to and including the new president and AG). And the writers have given him "youth" by making him a playboy with a young "wife" and plenty of young girls that he plays with. That's why it seems more likely that Jimmy will swing back to Nucky's side soon.

I don't think it was an accident that the producers cast baby-faced actors to play Meyer, Lucky, Al and Jimmy. They want the difference between old school and new school to be obvious.
Stive
AG
That final scene....WTF??!?!?!?!?

She is straight up BSC!!!
DonaldFDraper
AG
That was am emotionally HEAVY episode...
zgood10
AG
That episode was INTENSE. And awesome.
VikingNik
AG
Powerful episode. And I guess Chalky can't read.
zap
AG
The Commodore raped her at what age? 13? I'd say he deserves a little more than a beating.
OnlyForNow
AG
I have to say that Chalky not wanting to grade his daughters homework, proves that he can't read... it appears that his son is the only one who knows this also, judging from their exchange at the breakfast table.

Simply awesome episode.

I wonder if mamma darmony will end up killing the commadore, either suffocating him or beating him to death (that night of the final scene).

The connection between Richard and Jimmy's wife... eh I don't really like it and think the writers are trying to add too much interal conflict for Jimmy, but we'll see where it goes. It was interesting to hear his life story.

Who was the boxer that came in during the mayor's birthday party, significant at all?
Stive
AG
quote:
Who was the boxer that came in during the mayor's birthday party, significant at all?

Pretty sure it was supposed to be Jack Dempsey.

And I agree....Chalky can't read. Think that was pretty clear from that scene.
Catch
AG
quote:
I wonder if mamma darmony will end up killing the commadore, either suffocating him or beating him to death (that night of the final scene).

Wasn't she trying to poison him last season and manage to shift the blame to the maid when he found the poison?
Hobo Zombie
AG
The maid admitted to poisoning him.

I still think Nucky had something to do with it. I think he was paying the maid to poison him, and then when Commodore64/Jimmy/Gillian found out, paid her off to take the fall. That would explain why, against the Commodore's wishes, Nucky has her flee rather than having her arrested.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.