* * * Boardwalk Empire Season 2 Thread * * *

33,902 Views | 472 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Heisenberg
dport2009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
the show was original in that its main character wasn't an outright gangster like Tony Soprano

Gangsters are gangsters. Nucky wasn't an outright gangster because Prohibition was just getting started last season and this season is showing you how everyone wants a piece of the pie. It's 1921. The stakes get higher as more people become involved in the smuggling. These guys are some of the original 'gangsters' and the show brings to light how they all develop as the alcohol smuggling grows.
ce1994
AG
Plus they are about to run out of bonded whiskey. It will get hairy as all get out then.
ORAggieFan
A show actually has the balls to kill off a main character and one of the best actors on the show and someone says it has "jumped the shark"?
Not_Sure
AG
Any chance season 3 skips ahead 5 or 10 years and we get to see Jimmy's son come of age?
AJ02
AG
I think it was this show, but didn't I hear that it was going to skip ahead about a year?
OnlyForNow
AG
Gumbles. It skips ahead but something like 10-16 months, stated on that link.
David_Puddy
AG
Gotta figure that we'll see Capone become a pretty major character, correct? Almost would think he'd take Jimmy's place.
OnlyForNow
AG
Puddy is spot on according to the interview.
MW03
AG
Well they have certainly done a masterful job of giving us no likeable or redeemable characters, save Harrow. I hate everyone on the show now, especially Nucky. You could root for Tony Soprano or Dexter or Walter White in spite of what they did, but Nucky has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. They could kill him off tomorrow and I wouldn't care at all. Hombre is right in that this is just another gangster show now. Too bad. They had done a lot to tell Jimmy's story. Felt it still had legs.

Still a good show.
Spaceship
AG
I don't think anyone "rooted" for Tony Soprano. He was a psychopathic, vindictive, self-centered murderer.
ORAggieFan
quote:
I don't think anyone "rooted" for Tony Soprano
I sure did.

But, I also will keep rooting for Nucky.
aCosmicBandito
AG
Thought the finale was great. You could tell Jimmy was gone as soon as he went back to Nucky. It was too late for that and he knew he was willingly going to his death. He was ready to die as soon as he found out about his wife and simply wanted to try and make peace with Nucky as a final act. His world was coming to its inevitable crash and burn from that moment on. They've really hamstrung themselves going forward I think though by killing him so soon.

He was one of the best actors and characters on the show. I think they are going to have to depend on Chicago and New York a lot more going forward because Nucky isn't compelling enough to hold the shows water on his own. Jimmy's character arc was awesome though and the flashbacks explaining his wife, mother issues, and enlistment add so much to understanding his characters pain. He lost the one thing that could possibly keep his insane mother at bay when his wife was killed and he couldn't handle the guilt and shame of his past anymore.

The Margaret storyline is awful. Went from very sympathetic to the most annoying an idiotic on the show who flip flops more than John Kerry. She takes everything from Nucky knowing he had her husband killed for her and decides to accept it. Then after being shunned by her family and her daughter getting polio she thinks about ratting out the very man who saved her and her kids from a life of abuse and poverty til she realizes he loves them and takes care of them. So how does she repay him? She gives away his fortune to the church because he took care of the guy who has been trying to kill him. Oh yeah. And she ****s the help while treating the maids like *****even though she was in their exact position not too long ago until she turned herself into a concubine. Can't wait for her to die or just get the hell in the background of the show. Such a waste of time.

Also don't like how they handled Van Alden. Some maid he just met is going to move across the country with him and a baby (whose mother she still hasn't met), changing their names along the way, without asking questions? Even if he is inserted into the Chicago storyline, he'll never be able to show his face in Atlantic City again, getting rid of another one of the most interesting characters on the show who could've had a lot more potential.
Spaceship
AG
quote:
Also don't like how they handled Van Alden. Some maid he just met is going to move across the country with him and a baby (whose mother she still hasn't met), changing their names along the way, without asking questions? Even if he is inserted into the Chicago storyline, he'll never be able to show his face in Atlantic City again, getting rid of another one of the most interesting characters on the show who could've had a lot more potential.

I didn't see it that way. Van Alden is paying her to be his nanny and she's a recent immigrant who is probably very poor. Moving within a new country to ensure a steady paycheck isn't that unrealistic. Its also pretty clear from some of the writer interviews that Van Alden will become heavily involved in the Capone/Chicago prohibition scene. He had to do something considering the murder charges in AC.
aCosmicBandito
AG
Except they introduced themselves as Mr and Mrs Something. Not hi new name and his nanny. I just hope they don't have a second 'Margeret' type of storyline for the nanny. Either let her fade in the background or be the one encouraging Van Alden to expand his life of crime to support them. That would be badass if she started acting as his conscience pushing him to do bad things with his knowledge of the bureau, justified by the fact he's supporting a family.

I'm not complaining, I just thought they could've stretched out his Atlantic City run a bit more. Was really hoping for a discredited on the stand scens for taking bribes from Mickey Doyle or something. Oh well. They've shown they know what they're doing so far. Interested in where they take things next season.
Alan Stanwyck
AG
what if he ends up working for Capone or something? I just don't see how his character can add to the show if he doesn't go to the dark side.
roveram
AG
Even back in that day I don't see how a Fed could just walk away from a murder charge and start over.
Eugene4x
AgKJ
AG
quote:
I don't think anyone "rooted" for Tony Soprano. He was a psychopathic, vindictive, self-centered murderer.

WHAT???!!!!

Dude, the better question is - "who DIDN'T root for Tony?"????

If you didn't, I can tell you that you were in the overwhelming minority. The entire nation/viewing audience was in Tony's corner. Hell, the FBI agent who had been tailing him for years jumped out of his chair in excitement in the final episode when he heard that "WE won"!
Heisenberg
thats not how i remember it at all. Upon hearing the news that phil leotardo was shot, agent harris says (with a big grin on his face) "We may win this thing afterall".

Almost as if he intentionally provoked a war between the mob by giving tony the information on phil's whereabouts. Of course, he gave him that location in return for the info on the suspected terrorists, but they sure wanted you to think he also might have had other plans.

One of the greatest aspects of the sopranos, they left so much out there for the viewer to decide.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.