Sunset on Innocence: The brew06 story

37,356 Views | 875 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by 65532ag
CrockerAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ahem...
AliasMan02
AG
writing it now.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Keep griping and you're going to get my latest report about the ethical considerations of wetlands conservation and its ecological implications.
AliasMan02
AG
A cigar and a half later, Jeff01 blotted the last of the signatures from the documents, bundled them lengthwise and tapped the stack on its end against the table to smooth the edges of the pile. "I'll get you both your statements in the morning," he said, exhaling thick pungent smoke with each syllable. Gambo stood, braced his back with his hands, and stretched.

"That'll be fine, Jeff01," he said with a groan.

AgCT, still wearing hat and coat, sat with chin in hand staring at some fixed point in the air.

"Everything alright there, Officer?" Jeff01 said with a chuckle. "New car and a few cases of prohibition whiskey not enough to lift your spirits?"

"Hmm?" he responded, lifting his head? He met Jeff01's arched eyebrows before it sunk in what had been said. "Oh," he muttered, then chuckled. "Stoney always knew I loved that car, and God knows I can use a good stiff drink now and then. It was nice of him to think of me."

"You went through a lot together," said Gambo, standing next to his chair with one hand in his pocket, pulling at an old watch and checking the time. He looked up and gave AgCT a closed-lip smile from under his thin mustache. "I sure hope you enjoy it."

Gambo snapped his watch closed and dropped it back into his pants pocket. "Gentlemen, you're welcome to enjoy another cigar or two if you like, but I think I'm headed for bed. Long day ahead tomorrow."

The other two men clearly got the hint and stood. Jeff01 grabbed his third cigar and put it in his shirt pocket before picking up another and holding it out to AgCT. "One for the road, Officer?" he asked, glibly.

AgCT wagged his head and took it. "Might as well," he said, placing it in his inside coat pocket and taking the lead toward the door with his long, heavy strides. As he opened the parlor door he held it for the other two. "Jeff01, are you paying any other visits in regards to the will, or were Gambo and I the lucky ones?"

Jeff01 caught the intent and for the first time looked a little uncomfortable. Gambo interceded. "Stoney and Brew weren't necessarily on the best of terms in the last couple of years. It's my understanding that it's you and me, and that's it."

Jeff01 walked through the door into the hall and toward the front entry, followed by Gambo and then AgCT, letting the door swing behind him. "Well you know I can't say, fellas," Jeff01 said. He seemed to want to say something else, but thought better of it. "Nope. Client privledge and all that."

Gambo said his goodnights and bolted the door after the two, leaving them standing on the porch on a cloudless night with a waxing moon already high in the sky surrounded by belts of stars. A red glow from Jeff's cigar added depth to a thick, purple night bright enough to see by. The pair walked down the wooden steps and toward their cars parked in the drive, Jeff01 pulling on the cigar creating a red spark that lit up his face, and AgCT with his head angled up toward the stars, looking back occasionally over his shoulder toward the house.

As they reached the cars, AgCT slowed and half-turned toward the house again, and paused. Jeff broke the uncomfortable silence of the last hundred heartbeats. "Well I guess we should all be headed to bed then," he said with a half-chuckle. He immediately fell silent again, surprised at how loud his voice was in the stillness of the night.

"Maybe," was all AgCT answered, lowly. A breeze blew in across yard, carrying the faint echo of rustling leaves in the grove on the other side of the house, its thin crackle just barely evident carried by the wind.

Jeff01 was uncomfortable and starting to fidget. He shifted his briefcase from one hand to the other, then set it down and leaned it against his car's rear tire. AgCT just stood, looking at the house.

There was a sudden and sharp noise from within, breaking the fragile silence that had been building since their last words were spoken. It was just for a moment, carried just on the edge of the wind from the house, a clear, tinny ring of a telephone silenced immediately.

Suddenly AgCT seemed satisfied and turned to his car, parked behind Jeff01. "See ya around tomorrow sometime, I expect, Jeff01," he said, raising his hand in a half-gesture of a wave. Jeff01 let the cigar burn between his lips as he looked back and forth from the Officer to the house until AgCT pulled out of the drive and onto the street.
AliasMan02
AG
and dangit, now I have to go to bed and can't discuss it. I'll be on to talk about it tomorrow, though. A number of important things in this lengthy addition.

[This message has been edited by AliasMan02 (edited 10/1/2007 10:53p).]
brew06
Do I get something from the will?!?! Just a little hint...puh puh puhhhleeeeaaasee
Sea Pony 07
CrockerAg98
AliasMan02
AG
ttt for the morning crowd.
gambochaman
AG
excellent

brilliant

amazing

enthralling

captivating

i need more
CDUB98
AliasMan02
AG
patience
Commander Bob
AG
I played a very large part in this chapter, I approve.
Stoney
S
What kind of car did I leave Gambo?
One of these?

AliasMan02
AG
sure... you left it to AgCT you mean.

[This message has been edited by AliasMan02 (edited 10/2/2007 8:44a).]
Commander Bob
AG
i've got a pimp ride now.
Stoney
S
Oops!
Enjoy the boattail!
gambochaman
AG
thats a pretty ride
SpaceCityAg05
swimmerbabe11
And you have me cast as AgCT's daughter right?

Can I borrow the car for friday night?
Commander Bob
AG
swimmer, does that make me eric's uncle? and no you can't barrow the car.
swimmerbabe11
I didnt ask to 'barrow' it, I wanted to borrow it!

and..that would make you his father as well...seeing as he is my brother.
Commander Bob
AG
oh, yeah. oops. well in that case you can borrow it then.
swimmerbabe11
(needed to post a smart*** face)

Oh yippeee!!

[This message has been edited by swimmerbabe11 (edited 10/2/2007 11:29a).]
Flaith
AliasMan02
AG
flaith will make an appearance fairly soon.
brew06
damnit

I get so excited when I see Alias post on this thread

such a tease you are
Tree Hugger
AG
<----- Still disappointed he hasn't made an appearance yet.
AliasMan02
AG
Not sure I have more room, Tree Hugger. I have bit parts for a few people left. I'll do another when this is finished, so suck up to me now and maybe I'll be in need of a main character.

I was thinking about doing a different sort of genre next time. This is pulp. Maybe a bloody action story? Or superhero? Who knows...
SpaceCityAg05
AG
The lack fo activity on this thread has knocked it to hell on my watchlist.

ttt
AliasMan02
AG
sorry. computer problems last night and insane at work today. I'll post one tonight.
brew06
tease
Reloadags1998
AG
no excuses!!!!
Sea Pony 07
AG
Action would be cool
SpaceCityAg05
AG
How's my busty wife doing today?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.