Asking for a military discount?

7,183 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BQ08
Colonel A. 1976
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you who never served.....YOU DO NOT RATE AN OPINION.. on whether it is appropriate or not! That being said, if home depot wants to honor Vets with a discount so be it.
It is absolutely fine to ck and see if places of business wish to honor those who have retired or on active duty, serving in my opinion does not count retired or active only and must show ID
Col. A 1976
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:
For those of you who never served.....YOU DO NOT RATE AN OPINION.. on whether it is appropriate or not!
get over yourself.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
For those of you who never served.....YOU DO NOT RATE AN OPINION.. on whether it is appropriate or not! That being said, if home depot wants to honor Vets with a discount so be it.
It is absolutely fine to ck and see if places of business wish to honor those who have retired or on active duty, serving in my opinion does not count retired or active only and must show ID

Problem with that is the Reserves and Natty Guard now have the exact same biometric ID as active duty. There's no way to tell them apart.
Pirate04
AG
Guess that counts me out.
nashvilleaggie11
Don't forget the awesome military discount at Taco Cabana
hillcountryag86
AG
quote:
Good grief.
hunterntexas
AG
quote:
serving in my opinion does not count

Really? My service doesn't count?
Tell that to my DD214, the two houses I have purchased through the VA, my degree I got with the Hazelwood Act, and my drivers license.

USAF 93-97
marble rye
AG
This is America. We all have opinions on everything.
B-1 83
AG
TF asks for it at hotels and uses it at Home Depot.
AggieHaylea13
AG
I worked at a restaurant when I was young that offered a measly 10% military discount, and you had to be eating there and in uniform to use it. We raised a stink and they finally changed it to where all you had to do was present a military ID to get the discount. Stupid rules for such a tiny discount.

The management company for the restaurant were ***** though. They tried to tell us who to vote for in elections and where we should/shouldn't spend our money based on their own personal political and religious beliefs.
MaterialAg
AG
quote:
It is appropriate, and your opinion here is not.

Good luck with your attitude.
Humorous Username
AG
quote:
I worked at a restaurant when I was young that offered a measly 10% military discount, and you had to be eating there and in uniform to use it. We raised a stink and they finally changed it to where all you had to do was present a military ID to get the discount. Stupid rules for such a tiny discount.

The management company for the restaurant were ***** though. They tried to tell us who to vote for in elections and where we should/shouldn't spend our money based on their own personal political and religious beliefs.

Working for Chick-fil-A sounds rough.
hunterntexas
AG
quote:
Ia measly 10% military discount

10% isn't measly. It is a nice gesture.
I also understand that here in SA, everyone is somehow connected, so those that do offer are to be commended.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Luke's Locker has a 20% discount. They will ask you at checkout.
JABQ04
AG
quote:

Having served eight years active and currently year two of NG. I really don't ask for the discount because of personal preference. Now, if some one offers at a restaurant or store then I'll take it.

I don't see how you can differentiate between Active/NG/Reservists Veterans. Tell that to the men and women who have deployed multiple times to combat zones or the three guys in my current NG unit who've been wounded in action and tell them they don't deserve a few bucks off at Home Depot. My eight years of active duty ( two deployments to Iraq and one to Afghanistan and being WIA) in a combat MOS deserve a discount but now that I'm NG I don't warrant it? That's pure nonsense and a slap in the the face to men and women who have sacrificed.

Also if someone didn't serve so what? They rate an opinion because you know the whole 1st amendment thingy that were supposed to protect. Don't have to agree with it but damn sure get to have one since you, me, and hundreds of thousands more swore to uphold th constitution.
Claude!
quote:
Does the stick up the ass of the stick up your ass have a stick up its ass?
JABQ04
AG
Also if you're not a 13B you're just a target. Well kick in doors or put HE down in a FFE when the weathers too bad for CAS and Air Force to bail you out when you get your ass in a bind.
AggieHaylea13
AG
quote:
quote:

I also understand that here in SA, everyone is somehow connected, so those that do offer are to be commended.
I thought it was, especially when compared to first responders. I have high respect for them also, but they got a 50% discount.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
Also if you're not a 13B you're just a target. Well kick in doors or put HE down in a FFE when the weathers too bad for CAS and Air Force to bail you out when you get your ass in a bind.

Pffff.....when y'all even show up. Must be nice to have a job that literally requires a FOB or COP to be established and live in. And I seem to recall an instance in Iraq where an Army counterbattery mission missed by about a grid and bracketed a herd of sheep. Which WE had to go out and clean up, pay for, AND apologize to the owner...
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:

You misinterpreted what I said. I think reserves and guard should be included. Was pointing out there's no way to tell the difference.
Pirate04
AG
quote:
quote:

You misinterpreted what I said. I think reserves and guard should be included. Was pointing out there's no way to tell the difference.

I was referring to what he said, not you.
Eliminatus
AG
I also love the interservice and MOS dick measuring contest's. It breaks out every time. But we all did stuff.

Except for puddle pirates.
JABQ04
AG
Iraq no big guns. Afghanistan we were shooting for ODA and countefire. Disnt want to die or piss off them off. Sounds like you have FO problems or FDC is jacked up. The gun line wouldn't make that mistake. Whatever mission gets sent to me I shoot. Not my problem where it goes.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
I also love the interservice and MOS dick measuring contest's. It breaks out every time. But we all did stuff.

Hey Marine....the Coasties have some of the best snipers....and generally do some really cool sheet to drug runners
bagger05
AG
quote:
Why the f##k does gratitude for service depend on whether someone spent an arbitrary number of years in the military?

Also, curious to know whether the 1976 in your handle is indicative of your class year. If so, I have further commentary.
Kenneth_2003
AG
quote:
quote:

Thing is take a city like San Antonio, Killeen, or any other base town where essentially everyone is connected and the stores that offer a discount either have margins that were too high to begin with or they've had to jack up their prices to absorb the discount.

Now, where's this 50% first responder discount that AggieHaylea13 mentioned?
Chickenhawk
quote:

GAC06
AG
Just asked for, and did not receive a military discount at free birds on northgate
GAC06
AG
Just kidding, I'm not poor
Decay
AG
Full price for gum? That dog won't hunt, monsegnior!
bagger05
AG
quote:
Full price for gum? That dog won't hunt, monsegnior!

Recruitment Officer: Just sign on the dotted line, patriots, and I'll give you your discount cards.

Fry: Just out of curiosity, we could use the cards to buy gum, then immediately quit the army, right?

Bender: You know, playing you all for chumps?

Recruitment Officer: Correct. There's no obligation.
Hey Nav
AG
quote:
Just become a USAA member. I always get asked if I served when using my debit or credit card. Then they say "oh bc we offer a discount".

A few days ago a nice SWA Flight Attendant asked me if I'd served, as I'd pulled out my USAA credit card, and she decided I'd receive several Wild Turkeys on the house.

I'm glad I had a driver waiting for me at my destination.

And thank you Specs, Home Depot & Lowe's.
Pirate04
AG
TSA Precheck is also a nice perk to the Gov ID
uncover&humpit
AG
quote:
What is tacky about asking if someone offers a military discount for active duty?

Tacky for 70 year old man to ask because 'nam.
This is some of the dumbest **** I've ever heard. Why would it matter if the veteran was 70 and served in Veitnam. Do you not realize these soldiers, sailors and marines were treated like **** upon returning home? What a dumbass statement to make.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.