Asking for a military discount?

7,195 Views | 114 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BQ08
Sapper Redux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Meh. 12B has to know the 11B job and math.
Scimitar
AG
I always find it ironic that non-infantry folks need to compare themselves to infantry folks. You never hear an infantryman say something like, "we're just as good admin clerks" (or even engineers)

And I have no problem asking. If they say no, I just smile and say "no worries...had to ask" and proceed with the transaction.

Also glad to see more states stamping "veteran" on drivers licenses...makes it easier for non-retired vets (retirees and reservists get ID cards, other vets don't)
Sapper Redux
I'm not aware of any other MOS that feels the need to remind everyone else of how super awesome they really are and how everyone else is jealous
Scimitar
AG
Well, you see, it's true in the Marine Corps. Everything is built around the infantry...so either you're infantry or you're support. Some of us like doing it for real
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
I'm not aware of any other MOS that feels the need to remind everyone else of how super awesome they really are and how everyone else is jealous

Truth hurts. I feel more kinship with 11 series bubbas than my own service admin folk. Combat engineers kick ass. No doubts there. They put a roof over my head and ill never forget that. But they are still support. Without our infantry there would be no America. Period. Tends to gives us a chip on the shoulder and form a very exclusive brotherhood. You can't pay money for entrance either.

Which makes everyone jealous. They hate us cuz they ain't us.

I did also receive a couple of tickets to a wrestling event for free as well once. Not gonna lie. Was pretty badass. Felt like a little kid again. But still don't think to ask for discounts 99% of the time.
Joe Exotic
AG
I don't think that's true anymore in modern warfare. Especially in regards to our desire to nation build. I know of several missions where the infantry was used to support other MOS's. For example, heavy equipment operators sent to a village to build new infrastructure. The infantry were used to simply pull security. I guess that's the result of war no longer being about killing and destroying the enemy.
GAC06
AG
quote:
Well, you see, it's true in the Marine Corps. Everything is built around the infantry...so either you're infantry or you're support. Some of us like doing it for real

Well that's true, but some forms of support are much cooler. Like close air support.

As for grunt superiority, while I was a FAC riding in the same LAV with an infantry officer, he didn't like it when I pointed out that we were doing essentially the same thing but I still got flight pay.
Furlock Bones
AG
Asking for a military discount - thumbs up

Complaining on the internet about a store that won't give you a military discount - thumbs down

I've seen the second part a ton of times on a hunting website I frequent.
GoneGirl
AG
Not tacky to ask - either active duty or retired.
Stores offer it because they want to honor those who've served and/or they want to attract that business. Sometimes employees who either don't share that feeling or who just don't care might not ask. But the discount is between the store and the customer not the employee. So why not ask?

Tacky to throw a fit though.

But any adult throwing a tantrum is tacky. That's for 3 year olds.

hillcountryag86
AG
quote:
Not tacky to ask - either active duty or retired.
Stores offer it because they want to honor those who've served and/or they want to attract that business. Sometimes employees who either don't share that feeling or who just don't care might not ask. But the discount is between the store and the customer not the employee. So why not ask?

Tacky to throw a fit though.

But any adult throwing a tantrum is tacky. That's for 3 year olds.

Agree.

You'd be amazed at the entitlement displayed by many military and their spouses. And it's amazing the tantrums some can throw.
Beer Baron
AG

quote:
3. Acceptable only for 11B's and 42A's?

Is this like for military people with big tits? NOTE: I don't understand either military or bra terminology.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Really tacky, and its usually the pogues and remfs telling everyone how they "served" and expect to be treated special.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
11B? Those are the guys 2K behind the 19D's, right?
hunterntexas
AG
quote:

quote:

Is this like for military people with big tits? NOTE: I don't understand either military or bra terminology.

All this terminology is why I usually tell people I wasn't in the military, I was in the Air Force. We don't brag about our MOS (we called it a job title). Hell, most of us don't even remember it.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
quote:
I was in the Air Force. We don't brag about our MOS
We're talking about the military here
hunterntexas
AG
I know it's tough for army and harder for the Marines, but read the first sentence of my remark.
marble rye
AG
Just become a USAA member. I always get asked if I served when using my debit or credit card. Then they say "oh bc we offer a discount".
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
You trying to say army dont read good?! That's the same as kneeling during the anthem!
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
Just become a USAA member because USAA is friggin sweet
hunterntexas
AG
My wife is army. I didn't marry her because she could read.
Chickenhawk
quote:

Says the guy whose former handle was sapper.
Joe Exotic
AG
In his defense all MOS's can go to sapper school now. I'd be proud of a tab if I had one.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
quote:

Well that's true, but some forms of support are much cooler. Like close air support.

As for grunt superiority, while I was a FAC riding in the same LAV with an infantry officer, he didn't like it when I pointed out that we were doing essentially the same thing but I still got flight pay.

Absolutely...just spoke with an F/A-18 pilot buddy of mine this morning...XO of MAG-41 now...love messing with flyboys

And, on a sadder note, I lost another one who was serving as FAC in AFG 5 years ago

Scimitar
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:

All this terminology is why I usually tell people I wasn't in the military, I was in the Air Force. We don't brag about our MOS (we called it a job title). Hell, most of us don't even remember it.

can you really brag if you're in the Chair Force?
Joe Exotic
AG
I always thought it would be cool to brag if you were a fire control officer in the Air Force. It's the one job in the military everyone never wants you to do. How many other jobs require you to kill millions of people at the turn of a key?
62strat
AG
quote:
Just become a USAA member. I always get asked if I served when using my debit or credit card. Then they say "oh bc we offer a discount".

Yeh I've got Usaa and have gotten asked if military. One time a fast food place gave me a free drink, I was like what's this for, they said free drinks for military.

I just grabbed it, said thanks, and walked off. My grandpa served in 3 wars I'll take the free drink he deserves.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
I always thought it would be cool to brag if you were a fire control officer in the Air Force. It's the one job in the military everyone never wants you to do. How many other jobs require you to kill millions of people at the turn of a key while sitting in a chair?

FIFY
Sapper Redux
quote:
quote:

Says the guy whose former handle was sapper.

How does a handle called Sapper do either thing in that quote.
Chickenhawk
Giving **** to bravos for bragging about being bravos, yet has handle that says "look at me I'm an engineer".

Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

Yeh I've got Usaa and have gotten asked if military. One time a fast food place gave me a free drink, I was like what's this for, they said free drinks for military.

I just grabbed it, said thanks, and walked off. My grandpa served in 3 wars I'll take the free drink he deserves.

Hell yeah.

My tax dollars have served in at least 4 wars!
Sapper Redux
quote:
Giving **** to bravos for bragging about being bravos, yet has handle that says "look at me I'm an engineer".

Giving good-natured **** to 11Bs for the constant claims of superiority. I don't disparage infantry for being proud of their job.
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:

Sapper has historically meant engineer but with SLC it's not the same anymore.
Sapper Redux
quote:
quote:

Sapper has historically meant engineer but with SLC it's not the same anymore.

I was also a 12B. I went through SLC right after they made it officially tabbed.
Ragnar Danneskjoldd
AG
anybody pathfinder? Theyve opened that up to several MOS's now too
Pirate04
AG
No one can even touch 153L, we fly as hell.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.