That Chicken Ranch book...

16,413 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sabreman
ScoutBanderaAg956
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting video.
Tree Hugger
AG
Got my copy in the mail on Tuesday, now I just need time to read it, I've only finished one chapter so far.

Also, Amazon refunded me $7 off the pre-order price, based on what I've read, that would enable me to visit the ranch 3.5 times if it was the year 1900.
Tree Hugger
AG
Either I found a typo, or we have a time traveller on our hands.

[img[\img]
Sabreman
AG
The book's been out less than a week and all people want to talk about is the typo in August Loessin's birthdate.
Sabreman '92

Tree Hugger
AG
It's amazing how many typos make it through qa/qc amd into print. I notice that and grammatical errors all the time. I guess all the technical writing and review I do at work has givem me an eagle eye for it.
2ndGen87
AG
How did I miss the release date on this? I bookmarked it too? Looking forward to reading it!
Tree Hugger
AG
It was a great read. Lot's of old pictures and some interesting little details about life at the ranch that I never would have ever thought of.
Floorguy
I think I graduated High School with your wife in Bastrop, Sabreman. I also ended up marrying a girl from La Grange. She took me to the old site of the Chicken Ranch. We jumped the fence and walked around checking out what was left of the buildings out there. I'll be ordering the book today, and looking forward to the read!
Sabreman
AG
Thanks for the kind words! Thus far the reception for it has been overwhelmingly positive (except for that one person on Goodreads who gave it two stars--didn't say why, either). I've been to La Grange several times since it came out and have yet to see torches and pitchforks, so I'll take that as a win. If any of you feel compelled to leave reviews at any of the various online sites that encourage such things, I'd be grateful.

Small world, Floorguy! I had friends that ended up marrying classmates of hers as well. Pity the previous owners of the property didn't give a fig for preserving the building.
Sabreman '92

Amazing Moves
I wonder if they actually had some chickens of the fowl variety running around there.
F4GIB71
I really enjoyed the book. Never had the opportunity to visit becaus so few had cars in those days. Was home on R&R from SEA when Marvin Zindler was trying to make a name for himself. Never forgave him
Sabreman
AG
Forgot to mention, I've got a Reddit AMA coming up September 22, which happens to coincide with what would have been Fayette County Sheriff J.T. "Big Jim" Flournoy's 114th birthday, had he not passed away in '82.
Sabreman '92

SECond2noneAgs
AG
Very cool. If you haven't already, consider posting this to /r/Aggies, /r/Books, /r/Houston, /r/Texas, etc.
Sabreman
AG
My Reddit AMA is live for anyone interested in such things.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5424ni/howdy_reddit_im_the_author_of_inside_the_texas/
Sabreman '92

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.