Airbus?

3 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Token
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Really?

This looks even more cramped.

One of the leading airplane manufactures, Airbus, has filed a patent for a new seating arrangement that would literally see passengers piled on top of each other.
The patent filed on 1 October, outlines a split-level seating plan where a passenger at a lower level will have another person sitting directly above them, on a more elevated platform.

In a document filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the company states:

"In modern means of transport, in particular in aircraft, it is very important from an economic point of view to make optimum use of the available space in a passenger cabin."
In a nod to the current cramped conditions, it added: "Passenger cabins are therefore fitted with as many rows of passenger seats as possible, which are positioned with as little space between them as possible."
"In order to still more efficiently use the space in a passenger cabin of an aircraft, [the patent] proposes to position an elevated deck structure on a main deck floor in the passenger cabin of a wide-body aircraft for providing a mezzanine seating area in a substantially unused upper lobe of the aircraft fuselage."
quote:
SEE ALSO:

Seats on both levels will have the ability to recline in a similar manner to what we are used to now and the company claim its new arrangement will provide "optimum level of comfort."

Should you wish to put some distance between yourself and the other sardines in the cabin, Airbus say the recline mode will increase the space between both decks of passengers. Comfort is obviously in the eye of the beholder.
A spokeswoman told the Daily Mail that the existence of a patent doesn't necessarily mean it will be adopted by aircrafts.

She said: "Airbus files some 600 patents each year in order to protect its intellectual property.
"This doesn't necessarily mean that all of the patents are adopted on an aircraft. Therefore, we are not in a position to further discuss this design."

mid90
AG
airbus is a terrible company that makes sheety planes that I would never want to fly on
HossAg
AG
That is a terrible idea
Martin Q. Blank
Exhibits 106 and 108. They are patenting people. #14 - just shoulders.
80s Guy
Would love to be on the top row with a case of Mexican Food Vapors!
Andy07
AG
There are no limits to the amount of comfort many flyers are willing to give up for a slightly cheaper airplane ticket.
Aero95
AG
quote:
Would love to be on the top row with a case of Mexican Food Vapors!
This is exactly the first thing that came to my mind when seeing that illustration. Middle seat views are bad enough, but having nothing but ass in front of your face for 3 hours sounds terrible.
Scimitar
AG
business class flying FTW
superunknown
AG
quote:
airbus is a terrible company that makes sheety planes that I would never want to fly on
what do you dislike about them so much?

never been on anything outside an A319/320 myself and they seem pretty standard. I prefer the MD80/90s myself but those are fading out quickly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Al Bula
AG
quote:
The Airbus A380 is an effing bad ass ride. WTF are you talking about?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG

mid90
AG
quote:
quote:
what do you dislike about them so much?

never been on anything outside an A319/320 myself and they seem pretty standard. I prefer the MD80/90s myself but those are fading out quickly.

I've heard too many stories about Airbus accidents. Many of them involving faulty equipment and/or flight software/how they train the pilots (although the pilot training is probably more on the airline's shoulders......but European airlines fly airbus, so I don't feel bad about lumping them in here).

Like the Air France 447 crash in '09. Instruments iced over, the pilot couldn't tell his altitude, freaked out, started climbing, never stopped, stalled the plane, and they crashed in the Atlantic.

Granted, American engineers are likely extremely biased in favor of Boeing over Airbus, so maybe I'm not the best person to make the argument. But Airbus (and the airlines that operate Airbus products) just seem to have more wtf? moments.
Hello Newman
MSCAg
AG
If you drop the price enough, people would go for it.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Never fly ass to mouth
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
quote:

It's also a total white elephant that proves that ego got the best of Airbus execs who just wanted to stick a huge plane on the market instead of what the market actually wanted. No surprise there are serious rumors that the program will not survive. The bulk of the demand is for a smaller transcontinental flight that can efficiently move a lower number of people a long way between locations that are not necessarily primary airports. Put more simply, I'd prefer to fly IAH->MUC directly instead of IAH->LHR->MUC or IAH->EWR->MUC.

Oh, and about the double decker seating: I wonder if airlines like Spirit will charge extra for an "upper decker."
wangus12
AG
swc93
AG
Lack of windows is disappointing; but it looks like everyone has an aisle seat.
suburban cowboy
AG
I don't see this idea taking off anytime soon
Scimitar
AG
quote:
quote:

yes...yes it is....the new Boeing 787 ain't that shabby either
superunknown
AG
quote:
quote:
I've heard too many stories about Airbus accidents. Many of them involving faulty equipment and/or flight software/how they train the pilots (although the pilot training is probably more on the airline's shoulders......but European airlines fly airbus, so I don't feel bad about lumping them in here).

Granted, American engineers are likely extremely biased in favor of Boeing over Airbus, so maybe I'm not the best person to make the argument. But Airbus (and the airlines that operate Airbus products) just seem to have more wtf? moments.
at the forums at airliners.net the Airbus vs. Boeing debate is the equivalent of the"what do you get on your Freebirds?" or "do you tip at Sonic" debate. I've read a ton of it on there and it seems that most American pilots/engineers don't like Airbus's approach to fly-by-wire technology, which (IIRC) was part of the Air France crash.

I figured you meant you didn't like Airbus because of the interiors.. I'll stop nerding this thread up with airliner discussion.
histag10
AG
I'm guessing the people saying they will never fly airbus have only ever flown southwest
mid90
AG
quote:
I figured you meant you didn't like Airbus because of the interiors.. I'll stop nerding this thread up with airliner discussion.

Well, I don't think any Airbus models have the first class compartment in the nose, like the 747 does, which prevents one from inceptioning unsuspecting passengers. So there's that.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
I'm guessing the people saying they will never fly airbus have only ever flown southwest
For me its a little more nuanced. Before the United-Continental merger, Continental ordered 787s and lots of new 737s and flew them out of IAH to [wherever]. Post merger, the frequency of old, dilapidated, stinky A319s and 320s working out of IAH loaded with legacy United employees has increased. You can always tell when you're on a legacy Continental flight because the crew treats you like a human being and the airplane isn't adorned with the gentle odor of the F-train at rush hour. That's more of a mental thing than a true commentary on the quality of their product. I've flown on my share of older Boeing aircraft too.
SeattleAgJr
Charpie
AG
Except when they don't check your baggage all the way through your destination. That alone makes me hate Alaska Airlines
Goose
AG
Count me in on being able to lie down and sleep while in flight. I have a first class sized body and a coach budget so anything over about 90 min starts to really suck donkey balls.
TXRed75
AG
quote:

First thing I thought of
TXRed75
AG
What if your above neighbor gambles and loses?
SeattleAgJr
mid90
AG
quote:
What if your above neighbor gambles and loses?

I sense a burgeoning job market: shart insurance.
Amazing Moves
How in the **** to you have a pool on a plane?
HossAg
AG
Furlock Bones
AG
patent trolling

600 patents a year to "protect intellectual property".
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.