The Real Miracle of Acupuncture: That Anyone Still Believes In It

11,606 Views | 206 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Jacques
Jacques
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I don't know your personal religious views, but why would the concept of chi be any more nonsensical than any number of ancient judeo-christian beliefs?

Religion isn't science. It is faith. There is a place for faith based claims. But they should be unequivocally acknowledged as such.
trouble
AG
I do know this. Water does not have memory despite what homeopaths would like you to believe.

Most benefits from any type of homeopathic tablets likely come from the binding agents and not any of the bull**** HPUS.

Leeches used after specific surgeries for specific treatments do work but not in the old blood letting way.
Jacques
quote:
I do know this. Water does not have memory despite what homeopaths would like you to believe.

Most benefits from any type of homeopathic tablets likely come from the binding agents and not any of the bull**** HPUS.

Leeches used after specific surgeries for specific treatments do work but not in the old blood letting way.

Tanya won't even acknowledge the dilution though. See, it was a TABLET, not water....
trouble
AG
I'm aware of the idiocy of arguing with her.

Something probably helped him. It was more likely whatever powdered substance the tablet was made of than what the water was exposed to.
Jacques
quote:

Something probably helped him. It was more likely whatever powdered substance the tablet was made of than what the water was exposed to.

Somewhat interestingly, the harmful side effects from poisoning your child with the tablets, from the FDA link, include sleepiness and lethargy:

Symptoms include a depressed level of consciousness, seizure, difficulty or slowed breathing, lethargy, sleepiness, muscle weakness, skin flushing, constipation, difficulty urinating, or agitation.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:

Somewhat interestingly, the harmful side effects from poisoning your child with the tablets, from the FDA link, include sleepiness and lethargy:

Symptoms include a depressed level of consciousness, seizure, difficulty or slowed breathing, lethargy, sleepiness, muscle weakness, skin flushing, constipation, difficulty urinating, or agitation.
how is that possible if the tablets don't contain anything? Why would "just water" have any side effects at all?
trouble
AG
I think they have changed the formula. They had a recall several years back.
trouble
AG
How can a tablet be made of just water?

They still have so called inactive ingredients and binders to make the actual tablet.
Jacques
quote:
quote:
quote:

how is that possible if the tablets don't contain anything? Why would "just water" have any side effects at all?

Again, you don't understand homeopathy. A homeopathic remedy is just water. That is by definition what it is.

The manufacturers MAY include something that is nit water. But that is, by definition, not the treatment.
Jacques
quote:
How can a tablet be made of just water?

They still have so called inactive ingredients and binders to make the actual tablet.

I've tried explaining the purported mechanism to him. But it's actually so stupid in conception that he's not getting it. It's just such a dumb concept.
Jacques
quote:
I think they have changed the formula. They had a recall several years back.

They did. With the issue being that they actually were not diluting out the belladonna.

Now again: if you know homeopathy you know it's not supposed to be there. It was. The formula was redone to make sure it wasn't.

Think about whether that makes sense.

It doesn't. That's homeopathy.
haircut
AG
Do any of yall cock knockers have jobs?
30_Days
AG
quote:
I'm a democrat, wtf is a job?
haircut
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm a democrat, wtf is a job?
It's where you provide your services in exchange for dollars. Do you like to have dollars?
True Anomaly
AG
Hey, did y'all know the Texas Accupuncture Board is run by the Texas Medical Board? 'Tis true
haircut
AG
quote:
Hey, did y'all know the Texas Accupuncture Board is run by the Texas Medical Board? 'Tis true
The smartest people on texags don't care about stuff like that.
Tanya 93
quote:

Hey now. That wasn't nice.

I simply said those tablets worked when orajel didn't.
He had a fit over that.
trouble
AG
Um, it's idiotic to argue with you because you refuse to ever see the other person's point of view. I didn't call you an idiot.
Tanya 93
Have a safe trip
Jacques
Seriously, she's lucky her kid's alive.

And basically, it looks like at this point, she confused working with the fact that what she gave her son might have in fact poisoned him.

And before you go there Tanya....

Homeopathy is water.
Jacques
quote:
Um, it's idiotic to argue with you because you refuse to ever see the other person's point of view. I didn't call you an idiot.
She's going to debate that homeopathy is water.

Even though that's exactly what it is, by the definition, she'll argue it can't be.
careerchange05
AG
quote:
They don't work for the average person. Think about a medical study for a second. There are usually two conditions. One condition is the control (usually a placebo or sham group) and the other is the treatment condition. Some kind of measure is used to assess severity of the problem before the treatment (or placebo) and then afterwards. They then compare the statistical deviations from average within and between the groups and arrive at an effective or not effective conclusion (significant or nonsignificant).

But think about that. It's based on the average scores in the group. If you look at individual scores on the assessment measures, some people got better, some got worse, and some didn't change at all. How do we explain the individuals who got worse or didn't change when they received a so-called effective treatment? It's not always obvious or immediately attributable to something known.

Back on topic, it may be possible that acupuncture is like chiropractic, lots of people that don't know what they're doing. I tend to think homeopathy is full of ****. But I won't sweepingly say that in all cases all homeopathy is ineffective. There may be an example of where one works and it is legitimate.

You have a really poor understanding of how study design works, and acting like you know what you're talking about is harmful.
careerchange05
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
These MFers love the **** out of you Tanya
I actually do like Tanya most of the time. She is unwilling to listen to reason on this subject and that's fine. No need for defensiveness, I'm not out to attack anybody. Just posted an article and defended my point of view.
What do you mean I am unwilling to listen to reason.

I simply said it worked for my son.

That is all.

You are the people telling me it was just a placebo effect for a 7 month old.

You simply repeating over and over that the timing of your kid's condition improving being coincidentally the same time as you gave him the fake pills is not proving anything. I could similarly say "I closed my eyes while I was driving and didn't get into a wreck today. That proves that closing my eyes is a safe driving method."

Put stuff in your son's body that is unproven in terms of effectiveness let alone safety, and I'll go ahead and say you are in no position to be bragging about what a great mom you are.
careerchange05
AG
quote:
quote:
For you, that anecdote is all you need. I guess there is no reason to continue this discussion.
Can you explain to me why orajel didn't work and those did?

How does the placebo work for a 7 month old when I spent a week using conventional medicine trying to settle him down?

What did you use for your teething infant, especially at night?

You could argue that the oragel did work, dumdum. Perhaps your kid's pain would have been worse than if you hadn't used it. It's basically impossible to say for sure in your n=1 sized study... Which is why scientists, doctors, etc. devote their lives to answering these kinds of questions for you. And the verdict is in. Homeopathy is worthless. Sorry you wasted your family's money.
Jacques
quote:
quote:
quote:
For you, that anecdote is all you need. I guess there is no reason to continue this discussion.

How does the placebo work for a 7 month old when I spent a week using conventional medicine trying to settle him down?

You could argue that the oragel did work, dumdum. Perhaps your kids pain would have been worse than if you hadn't used it. It's basically impossible to say for sure in your n=1 sized study... Which is why scientists, doctors, etc. devote their lives to answering these kinds of questions for you. And the verdict is in. Homeopathy is worthless. Sorry you wasted your family's money.
And just to be clear...

To the extent the homeopathic folks screwed up and actually left the poison IN, they could kill your kid.

Mind you, that would be the result of them fouling up there own formula. But it could happen.
careerchange05
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You could argue that the oragel did work, dumdum. Perhaps your kids pain would have been worse than if you hadn't used it. It's basically impossible to say for sure in your n=1 sized study... Which is why scientists, doctors, etc. devote their lives to answering these kinds of questions for you. And the verdict is in. Homeopathy is worthless. Sorry you wasted your family's money.
And just to be clear...

To the extent the homeopathic folks screwed up and actually left the poison IN, they could kill your kid.

Mind you, that would be the result of them fouling up there own formula. But it could happen.

True.

The reason I get so amped up with stuff like this is because people like Tanya spout off about what a great mom she is because she was willing to do whatever it took to help her kid. In reality, it's nothing more than sheer laziness on her part. She didn't actually turn her brain on to think. She didn't ask herself the actual relevant questions like "what's causing this condition? What can I do to prevent it? If I can't prevent it, should I treat it? If I can treat it, is the treatment proven to be both safe and effective? Why?" And if she didn't ask the questions, she certainly didn't bother researching to see what the answers would be.

How do I know these things about Tanya (and I'm not just picking on her; the Jenny Mcarthys of the world have just about taken over)? Because she fed her son these fake pills. You'd have literally been better off throwing your family's money directly in the trash. At least trash-money is easily proven to not kill anyone.

But feel free to continue passing yourself off as super mom.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And just to be clear...

True.

The reason I get so amped up with stuff like this is because people like Tanya spout off about what a great mom she is because she was willing to do whatever it took to help her kid. In reality, it's nothing more than sheer laziness on her part. She didn't actually turn her brain on to think. She didn't ask herself the actual relevant questions like "what's causing this condition? What can I do to prevent it? If I can't prevent it, should I treat it? If I can treat it, is the treatment proven to be both safe and effective? Why?" And if she didn't ask the questions, she certainly didn't bother researching to see what the answers would be.

How do I know these things about Tanya (and I'm not just picking on her; the Jenny Mcarthys of the world have just about taken over)? Because she fed her son these fake pills. You'd have literally been better off throwing your family's money directly in the trash. At least trash-money is easily proven to not kill anyone.

Or I asked his doctor.
careerchange05
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And just to be clear...

True.

Or I asked his doctor.

In one ear, out the other. Pass the buck to the doc to whom you likely said "hey, you think I could try these water pills out? I can't take another night of having to listen to him cry."
I would expect no less from a lib such as yourself.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And just to be clear...

True.

Or I asked his doctor.

In one ear, out the other. Pass the buck to the doc to whom you likely said "hey, you think I could try these water pills out? I can't take another night of having to listen to him cry."
Good try!
Jacques
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And just to be clear...

True.

Or I asked his doctor.
Who, again, probably THOUGHT they were just water because that's what homeopathy is supposed to be.

When was this? Was this around the time the FDA discovered that they had actually put belladona in?
careerchange05
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And just to be clear...

True.

Or I asked his doctor.

Good try!
Knife_Party
quote:
You have a really poor understanding of how study design works, and acting like you know what you're talking about is harmful.

Pray tell, how exactly is it incorrect to state that medical studies typically use two conditions, a treatment and a control? Let me even more clear about my post before you respond. Medical experiments use two typical conditions. It is certainly possible that many will use more than two by varying the kind of controls and treatments used, anything from an expectation control to a placebo control or a different kind or amount of treatment (i.e. using 10mg or 20mg of the given drug). Certainly you aren't implying that medical experiments do not use the ratio of within to between group variance when assessing statistical differences between the various conditions.
Jacques
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/homeopathy-conference-ends-in-chaos-after-delegates-take-hallucinogenic-drug-10491114.html

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.