DeAndre Jordan

13,746 Views | 131 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by tbirdspur2010
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I presume they do have someone on the roster that can also play his position right? Like several, just no one good. Kind of like the Bills and quarterbacks.

(I obviously do not pay attention to this sport. My apologies)
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
The Mavs knew there was a possibility this could happen. Slim, but still a possibility. The fact that they didn't plan for it isn't on Jordan.
that's an absurd take. you don't know what you're talking about
Explain. If you run a billion dollar business (that's what these teams are), you should plan on every possibility when making critical decisions that impact your business, especially ones where nearly $100mm is involved.
ac04
i don't have time to explain everything to a simpleton who is purposely being obtuse. if you're really interested, read the article i linked
toucan82
I feel like that would be a tough sell to other free agents but I suppose you're right
aTm2004
AG
So...you can't explain it.
ac04
can you read? i am not going to re-iterate every point made in an article i already linked
aTm2004
AG
quote:
can you read? i am not going to re-iterate every point made in an article i already linked
I can read. Can you? There's nothing in the article that states what Jordan did was wrong or that the Mavericks shouldn't have planned for this.

quote:
The deals negotiated during the moratorium aren't actually binding, even though NBA teams treat them as such. When a player verbally agrees to a contract before July 9 as Jordan did with the Mavericks five days before the moratorium ended the rest of the league leaves him alone.

A non-binding agreement, and to my understanding, Jordan called LA.

quote:
The Mavericks, for example, went about their business under the assumption that they had Jordan locked up.

He's not a Maverick until the ink is on the paper.
ac04
i guess you missed the rest of the article that explains how the league operates and how this is so unusual that it will most likely result in a rule change.
aTm2004
AG
Unusual but still a possibility. The Mavericks went on as business as usual without protecting their 6. Cuban of all people should know that nothings done until the contract is signed.

You Mavs fans who are mad at Jordan should direct your anger at the front office. They are just as responsible for their situation as Jordan is, if not more.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Cuban should have been prepared. Deandre is from Houston and an Aggie, like this guy.

Teslag
AG
I'm a spurs fan and I'll tell you had DJ is in the wrong here. The Mavs handled this the same way every team in the NBA would have.
Kramer
AG
Dear AC,

May your next verbal agreement fall through at the worst possible time. Karma.
45-70Ag
AG
@NotBillWalton: Obama made it easier for Americans to travel to meet Cubans while the Clippers made it harder for a Cuban to travel to meet an American.

@DailySnark: Mark Cuban was perfectly fine, went to sleep, woke up and realized he had been screwed. Or as I like to say, "He got Cosby'd".

@NotBillWalton: DeAndre Jordan has officially dismissed the Mavs. I haven't seen a DJ drop somebody that fast since Q dropped Bishop off the roof in Juice!
Ulrich
Another Spurs fan here, and a long time NBA fan. ChickenS move by DeAndre.

This is not a typical labor market where you have a large number of roughly similar job candidates available year round and you can pay them whatever you want. This is a very peculiar talent acquisition process with labyrinthine rules regarding how and when you can commit money to a small number of job candidates with highly differing skill sets.

The NBA draft occurs, wherein teams attempt to acquire players to fill needs without knowing beforehand what they will get. The moratorium specifically exists so that teams have a few days after the draft to evaluate what happened in the draft, speak to all their targets, negotiate contracts, and model out scenarios based on who they can afford, what will make a good team, and how they can get the money together. There are contract max and min limits, salary caps and mins, lux taxes, bird rights, trade exceptions, cap holds, the room exception, biannual exception, Rose rule, and any number of other things I've forgotten to mention.

The way this has always played out in the past is that the verbal commitment, once given, is viewed to be binding. Once the verbal commitment is made, the player who makes the commitment knows that his future team will use that to (1) decide what other players they need to fill in around him, (2) evaluate the roster cap situation and scenarios, and (3) target and recruit other players to fill those holes, including using the news of the first player's commitment as a tool in recruitment.

DeAndre, as a young max player, knows that the Mavericks committed a lot of money to him and were building around him. By the time he went back on his word, the other high profile free agents had almost all committed to other teams; what is left is dregs. He put the Mavs in a situation that they probably can not recover from for at least a year and maybe longer. Not because of the quality of their plan, but because of the rules of NBA free agency.

If you're not sure what to do, you don't commit. If you commit, you stand by your word.
TyHolden
AG
Go Spurs
ac04
not sure if this comment is directed at me. if so, you're confused
tbirdspur2010
AG
Of course DJ was in the wrong.

He also made the correct basketball decision.

And of course he should be commended for screwing dallas over. Commended, I say.
GregZeppelin
AG
Deandre Jordan is a professional athlete.

Professional, meaning the game is his profession. Signing with a team is his career.

He took a competing offer because he decided it was the best move for his career. And he did it before signing anything official. If it's so unusual that a rule change results, that's fine. It sounds like the rule needs to be changed to provide a more defined process to protect both players and teams from situations like this one. But as the rules stand now, Deadre didn't do anything wrong.

The Mavs can be irritated, just like any other jilted employer would be, especially if they had already broke things off with other candidates. But that's just how life in the professional world plays out sometimes. I am not going to fault a guy for making what he feels is a better career move for himself.
Goose
AG
Just because what he did wasn't against the rules doesn't make it not wrong.
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Just because what he did wasn't against the rules doesn't make it not wrong.
We're not talking about personal morals. He plays professional basketball, which is regulated by the NBA. The NBA makes rules that say what is fair play in the world of NBA basketball and what isn't. Sometimes those rules end up benefiting some parties at the expense of others. But everyone is bound by the same rules, everyone has the same opportunities, and that puts everyone on equal footing.

Deadre and the Clippers played within the rules, and won. The Mavs also played within the rules and lost. This exact thing has happened in the NBA before, just not with as high profile of a player as Deadre. That's not his fault, nor the Clippers. The rules as they currently stand allowed for this to happen. If you want to be mad at someone be mad at the NBA for writing the rules in a stupid way, not Deandre for playing by them as they're written.
Goose
AG
Right and wrong have everything to do with ethics and morals, which is why what DJ did to the Mavs was wrong. He told them one thing and then did another; that's wrong. He won't go to jail for it, and he won't be fined by the league, but it was incredibly unprofessional and reflects poorly on his integrity. To say that he "did nothing wrong" is patently false.
DannyDuberstein
AG
This story has enlightened me as to how many Ags don't know the difference between legal and ethical.
superunknown
AG
quote:
I presume they do have someone on the roster that can also play his position right? Like several, just no one good. Kind of like the Bills and quarterbacks.

I like this post.
GregZeppelin
AG
The NBA sin't in the business of ethics and morals. They're in the business of basketball. And in the world of basketball, Deandre didn't do anything wrong.

Getting mad at Deandre for operating withing the NBA's rules as they are written is as pointless as getting mad at your neighbor for taking advantage of a deduction in the tax code that he qualifies for, just because you disagree with the provision.
ac04
so stupid. what about getting mad at your neighbor for sleeping with your 18 year old daughter? hey man, there's no written rule against it. its all fair game.
DannyDuberstein
AG
[/putting Greg on my list of Ags not to make any handshake deals with]
Goodfield Nohit
He gave Cuban his word, then renegged.

Call it what you want, it was a loser dbag move.

A man is only as good as his word, right?
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
This story has enlightened me as to how many Ags don't know the difference between legal and ethical.
We're not talking about life and death and the well being of mankind.

We're talking about a game.

Games have rules.

Deandre didn't break any of the game's rules.

If the fans of the game don't like it, they can lobby the NBA to change the rules so it doesn't happen again.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Ethics aren't about life and death. Thanks for proving my point about some Ags not knowing the difference between legal vs. ethics though.

And this is a billion dollar organization whose business plan he completely ****ed up by not being a man of his word. Nobody is going to die, but it's also more than he called a bad foul in a pickup game at the rec center..
COOL LASER FALCON
No one is saying he broke any rules. He broke standard practices and went back on his word. That is a ****ty thing to do. That's all anyone is saying.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Ethics? Let's venture over to the NFL where contracts aren't guaranteed and you see guys get cut and then resigned under smaller contracts or are forced to restructure in order to keep their job. How's that ethical? Is it because the players know that's part of the game and within the rules of the NFL? Isn't want DJ did within the rules of the NBA?
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:

I like this post.
As of the time Jordan bailed, they had a 2nd year player named Dwight Powell, who is a total spare; and a complete project Satnam Singh, their second round pick who happens to be from India, and was likely drafted as a favor to Jordan's agent or to sell t-shirts in India.

Since then, they have traded for ZaZa Pachulia who is a 12 year journeyman backup.

Goodfield Nohit
He gave Cuban his word, then renegged.

Call it what you want, it was a loser dbag move.

A man is only as good as his word, right?
DannyDuberstein
AG
Teams and players operate under the terms of their deals and the normal and accepted practices of the league. Both sides know the arrangement and the potential outcomes, even if there are multiple potential outcomes. And some players do negotiate guaranteed portions of their deal because of the variability in the outcomes. Both sides upfront agree upon what $$$ is guaranteed and what $$$ is not, and then operate under the terms of their mutual agreement with each other.

On the flipside, Deandre is the first max player to ever back out of a deal. As you can see by the league-wide criticism his move has received, this was not a normal and accepted practice. He agreed to a deal - a deal that would have had both sides committed to each other for 3 years.
aTm2004
AG
I'm not saying what he did was ideal or something that should be celebrated, but I'm not going to rag on the guy because he had a change of heart and decided to stay with LA where the money is about the same but the chance for a ring is a lot greater.

Teams/Schools (college) **** all over the players and jerk them around and nobody bats an eye. When the player does it to the team, people get all bent out of shape. This is why I really don't feel bad for the Mavericks. I'm sure they've probably dicked over some players, and Cuban has probably dicked over some people to get where he is. In the end, DJ did what he felt was best for him and I can't fault him for it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.