Confederate flag still up at SC house.

31,681 Views | 354 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by tbirdspur2010
The Shank Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Should they bring it down?

Annnnnd Go
Geralt of Rivia
S
No
Dr. Faustus
AG
I don't give a ****.
45-70Ag
AG
State decision. People who live in another state shouldn't care or complain what they choose.
chipotle
Why aren't they mad about the georgia flag?
Post removed:
by user
Beer Baron
AG
quote:
Probably because it hasn't had the confederate flag on it for over a decade.
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:

Because the majority of people that ***** about someone flying "the Rebel flag" fail to realize that they're *****ing about one army's battle flag, and not the the national flag of the Confederacy. Always makes me laugh, mostly because people are stupid and won't take the time to educate themselves on the very topic about which they're outraged.

Edit to clarify: The second and third national flags of the Confederacy had the battle flag in the corner. Forgot about that.
chipotle
quote:
quote:

Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
quote:

Not true BB. The current Georgia state flag is a very close cousin to the 1st National Flag of the Confederacy, aka "The Stars and Bars".

Georgia State Flag:

1st National Flag of the Confederacy:

95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Because the majority of people that ***** about someone flying "the Rebel flag" fail to realize that they're *****ing about one army's
battle flag, and not the the national flag of the Confederacy.
Yeah, like there's a whole lot of difference. They pretty much stand for the same ideology.
Beer Baron
AG
Ah. I learned something today. Still don't give a sheet about either.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
States' rights
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
quote:
Because the majority of people that ***** about someone flying "the Rebel flag" fail to realize that they're *****ing about one army's
battle flag, and not the the national flag of the Confederacy.
Yeah, like there's a whole lot of difference. They pretty much stand for the same ideology.

I didn't say that they meant different things. The poster asked why people weren't up in arms about the Georgia flag. I was just explaining why. Most people don't realize that when they took what most people call "the Rebel flag" (i.e. the battle flag) off of the state flag in 2003, that they simply replaced it with a nearly exact replica of the 1st National Flag of the Confederacy. A much less recognizable symbol, but a symbol that meant the same thing nonetheless. It shut everybody up, because the people that were the most vocal about the issue didn't even know what they were looking at when they saw the 2003 replacement.
Beer Baron
AG
I didn't know what they replaced it with, just that they'd replaced it. Props to them for sneaking in basically the same thing without anyone noticing though.
chipotle
Dukes of Hazard
Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
I didn't know what they replaced it with, just that they'd replaced it. Props to them for sneaking in basically the same thing without anyone noticing though.

Yep. I remember when I read about the story, the huge push to get it taken off the state flag, etc. Then I saw what the approved replacement was, and I lost it laughing. Definitely worthy of a slow clap and a "well played" meme.
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:

Because the majority of people that ***** about someone flying "the Rebel flag" fail to realize that they're *****ing about one army's battle flag, and not the the national flag of the Confederacy. Always makes me laugh, mostly because people are stupid and won't take the time to educate themselves on the very topic about which they're outraged.

Edit to clarify: The second and third national flags of the Confederacy had the battle flag in the corner. Forgot about that.

some symbols get mired so badly that the original intent or use is lost when compared to it's most current nefarious use (like the swastika).
chipotle
Just having looked up some more stuff the KKK or other white supremacists groups didn't really adopt the 1st confederate flag but rather the more well known battle flag.

As far as I'm concerned as long as I'm seeing nazi, confederate battle or rainbow flags around here I know that there is liberty. 'Merica.
Post removed:
by user
chipotle
quote:
The people who really believe the Civil War was about states rights are the real idiots. It was about states rights concerning one subject, slavery. Slavery, period, That is it. Flags should be changed, they stand for a barbaric culture that supported slavery. Why some of you can't see that baffles me. Do you see Nazi flags still flying over any German city or state?
45-70Ag
AG
If that ever changes it must be up to the voters of South Carolina.

If you live in a state other than South Carolina, your opinion is irrelevant.
superunknown
AG
the only Confederate flag that matters.

Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:

This. Regardless of what you think the flag stands for, it should be up to South Carolina's voters. Nobody else.
Wade_3
AG
quote:
quote:

This. Regardless of what you think the flag stands for, it should be up to South Carolina's voters. Nobody else.
That's true, and you can't cure stupid.

If people want to support a treasonous government that got its teeth kicked in, they are more than welcome to do so. I've never understood identifying with a loser (you don't see normal folk identifying with Nazi Germany or Vichy France), but to each their own.

At this point it's more of an image thing. You have a racist white conservative that gunned down a bunch of unarmed black people in prayer, and you don't even have the common sense to move the confederate flag to half-staff?

South Carolinians bring the ridicule on themselves.
Beer Baron
AG
Yeah it's certainly up to them. If they're fine with people in other places thinking they're a bunch of backwoods rubes they can have at it.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Should Texas remove the Confederate seal from the Capitol building?

Dr. Faustus
AG
quote:
Yeah it's certainly up to them. If they're fine with people in other places thinking they're a bunch of backwoods rubes they can have at it.

And that's exactly what a lot of them think. It means something else to them entirely (right, wrong, or indifferent - I don't care one way or the other), so they don't really care what people in other states think of them.
Wade_3
AG
quote:

Who cares?

Same thing applies. If they want to support a treasonous loser government, fine by me. At the end of the day the confederacy supported slavery and racism. If people want to support that, go to town.

They should just be honest about what they are supporting. Many of them are in denial about it.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
quote:

Who cares?

Same thing applies. If they want to support a treasonous loser government, fine by me. At the end of the day the confederacy supported slavery and racism. If people want to support that, go to town.

They should just be honest about what they are supporting. Many of them are in denial about it.

You know who else used to support racism and slavery? The United States of America.
agnerd
AG
quote:
You know who else used to support racism and slavery? The United States of America.
Guess we'll have to ban the stars and stripes too while we're at it.
FroggieBreath
The South will rise again.

Fonzie Scheme
AG
Well, thank the gods Jake is here to share even more of his expert opinions.
superunknown
AG
quote:
The South will rise again.

no, it won't. it's too dumb and lazy.
chipotle
I look at it more as a ***k you to the centralized government. I still say ***k you to the centralized/federal government. Which in my mind is what the battle flag is all about.

Yeah it was slavery and all and that's bad but what if the issue was guns rights or abortion? Then today we'd be all "can you believe those barbarians had guns...killed babies?!"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.