How quick to react are you?

6,198 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by WC87
marble rye
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In situations that you see happen and it doesn't involve people you know?

Am at airport and a girl just fell out of her seat in convulsions. A man immediately shot out of his chair from across the way and was helping her up. After some quick consulting with the girl's mother, he started to do CPR until EMS came over.

Would you do that? Would you hesitate? I never think to bc I'm a stranger/not a doctor/whatever.
redd38
AG
You mean, like, how quickly would I get out my cell phone and start recording?
marble rye
AG
No...would you help? I see this happen more w men than women where a stranger will come running up to help them in an emergency.
Aries
I act quickly. People like to do this to me often so I'm kinda used to it. I usually get a free meal or drink out of it, so that's something.
Ragoo
AG
I am not properly trained in CPR so in this instance would not have reacted in the same manor.

I was driving home from college station one day when I noticed a car that had recently passed me rolling in a field off of hwy 21. I slammed on my brakes and ran in a dead sprint to where the driver was crawling away from his car. Luckily not hurt too bad. Someone else was on scene at the same time and calling 911. When they shouting asking for our location my memory had flashes of the road signs I had recently seen and was able to approximate where we were located. An ambulance arrived in a few minutes.
marble rye
AG
I feel the same way when children fall off chairs or get hurt in front of me. Like I'm seeing it in slow motion or something and before I know it, there's a swarm of people around them.

Maybe once you have a baby, a switch gets flipped where you jump into action.
haircut
AG
I'm pretty quick to help others. I've racked up helping control two seizures. Recently I went to a football game at Stanford and saw an old man (80+ easy) lean against a food cart and fall to the ground because it moved. He busted his head and had a pool of blood really quick. I tried to catch him before the fall but I'm slow. Anyways he was not happy to be helped and kept telling me "get me off the damn ground" and stuff like that. I made him stay down until EMS showed up. They cut his clothes off and he left rather naked on a stretcher. He never thanked me but his old wife and medics did.
G.I.Bro
Helping is a knee jerk reaction for me
OasisMan
AG
quote:
...a girl just fell out of her seat in convulsions...he started to do CPR until EMS came over...
why did he do CPR
marble rye
AG
That I don't know. I think she was having a seizure but someone was trying to make sure her tongue wasn't getting bit off...but she wasn't breathing. It wasn't even a minute before EMS arrived.
aglaohfour
AG
Before kids, I would jump in to help in an emergency without second thought. I seemed to witness an inordinate amount of car accidents/people falling/people becoming violently ill right in front of me for a few years there. It was weird. Now the occasion doesn't present itself as often, but I usually have kids with me and with a toddler clinging to me there isn't much I can do besides dial 911.

I do make a point to help people or have the older kids help people when we can (in non-emergencies). Like last week I had my oldest stepdaughter assist a lady in the mall food court with placing her order and getting to a table because the lady was struggling to to manage on her own. The lady paid for our ice cream and my stepdaughter stepped out of her comfort zone to help a stranger. Win-win.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
quote:
I feel the same way when children fall off chairs or get hurt in front of me. Like I'm seeing it in slow motion or something and before I know it, there's a swarm of people around them.

Maybe once you have a baby, a switch gets flipped where you jump into action.

No kids, but I was around nieces and nephews a lot when they were young. If you're around them a lot you keep your eye on them, waiting for something to happen.

Of course, even some parents can be completely aloof.
superunknown
AG
quote:
You mean, like, how quickly would I get out my cell phone and start recording?

World star!
ballchain
austinAG90
AG
So this guy sticks his tongue down some little girls throat cause he thinks she's buying on her own ?

Sounds like a creeper
Duncan Idaho
Who am i to run interference for death? The stranger will give his gift when he wills it. It is not our right to interfere.

85Photon
AG
I help right away. It's my first reaction to run to the problem.
Some call it combat reflexes. Others call it situational awareness.
I don't know if it's related to the fight or flight reflex, but I act where many freeze.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
I was in D.C. and there was a crippled guy in a wheelchair being pushed coming towards me. I saw him approaching a bump on the sidewalk which his wheels hit and stopped. His momentum carried him forward and his arms were basically useless to stop him from falling face first on the concrete. Before he even hit the ground my hand was in his pocket and amid the confusion I got away with his wallet, scot-free.
haircut
AG
quote:
Who am i to run interference for death? The stranger will give his gift when he wills it. It is not our right to interfere.

When you see a stranger dying, you should interfere and inappropriately give them their lasts rights.
marble rye
AG
quote:
So this guy sticks his tongue down some little girls throat cause he thinks she's buying on her own ?

Sounds like a creeper

Lol no. CPR doesn't involve blowing in the mouth anymore.
G.I.Bro
quote:
quote:
When you see a stranger dying, you should interfere and inappropriately give them their lasts rights.
Your sew rite! Lolololol
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
quote:

Sounds like a creeper

Well, where are you supposed to blow now?
G.I.Bro
If you blow hard enough into the anus the air will go through the GI tract and dislodge any foreign object
Knife_Party
I would quickly depending on context and what is happening. I've actually only been in a situation once when I someone needed to render aid and I was so far from the person that a bunch of people responded before I could take more than a few steps in that direction. People just don't have accidents around me. Not a bad thing.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
If you blow hard enough into the anus the air will go through the GI tract and dislodge any foreign object

That is probably technically true.
marble rye
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like a creeper

Well, where are you supposed to blow now?

You dont. Only chest compressions.
Charpie
AG
I call 911 and act black by yelling "Lord Jesus help us"
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I don't think I've had cpr training since elementary or middle school. I bet the whole game has changed.
jetch17
AG
quote:
I call 911 and act black by yelling "Lord Jesus help us"
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
No kids, but I'm a quick reactor if there's something I can do to help. If it's out of my range of helping skills, I will act in a supporting role to those who can help. If I'm not needed, I go on about my business rather than loiter.
Same for me.

I honestly haven't witnessed many events that called for me to act. On the two occasions I have, there were thankfully medically trained people around who took control of the situations, and I was just the guy who helped where I could, made the 911 calls, and relayed information from the medically trained folks to the 911 operator so the paramedics knew what was going on and could have their equipment as ready as possible when they arrived on scene.

One was a hit and run on a busy road, the other was an elderly man who collapsed walking to the parking lot after the symphony. I'm pretty sure the hit and run victim didn't make it, but I like to think the symphony man did.

Moral of the story, even if you don't think you're the best person in the world to help in a given situation, you can usually still be helpful if you can stay calm and follow directions.
marble rye
AG
"OH **** GET DA WATAH ----A!"
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
I don't think I've had cpr training since elementary or middle school. I bet the whole game has changed.

I haven't had the training in a while, but I would still like to look cool and heroic in a life or death situation.
GinaLinetti
AG
quote:
quote:

I haven't had the training in a while, but I would still like to look cool and heroic in a life or death situation.

Ah aha ah ah stayin alive stayin alive!

Nothing's changed. Chest compressions are more important than mouth to mouth
marble rye
AG
Another scenario was a small truck came flying across 3 lanes and flipped, skidding across the hood of the car in front of me. It ended up landing upright. A swarm of people were around that truck to check on the driver, and I was barely uttering, "did that **** just happen?!" It felt surreal...like I was in a Transformers movie.

Then that guy got out of his truck with blood pouring down his face and he took off running. The guy in the car in front of me pursued him.
G.I.Bro
I'm CLS qualified, so if all else fails I'll apply a tourniquet high and tight
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.