dollar shave club

8,907 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by FriendlyAg
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love the safety razor, but I still have a cheap one to get the area under my nose that u can't get with the safety razor without slicing something.
thebloomer
AG

CJ
Maximus_Meridius
AG
quote:
1. get away from drugstore shaving foams...switch to a proper cream and brush
2. let the weight of the razor do the work...don't press too hard
3. try adjusting the angle of the razor
+1
Also, what blades are you using? I tried Merkur's blades and had pretty rough results. Switched to Feather blades, and oh holy hell what a difference.

Also, Taylor of Old Bond St. is the ****. I actually like it better than my Truefitt and Hill.

I'm currently doing the DSC thing with the 4 blader. Not thrilled, but the convenience factor and speed have been nice. Really need to get better with the safety razor.
SapperAg
AG
quote:
1. get away from drugstore shaving foams...switch to a proper cream and brush
2. let the weight of the razor do the work...don't press too hard
3. try adjusting the angle of the razor
What cream do you use?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Thanks for the tips.
Scimitar
AG
Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood...and their pre-shave oil since I have a coarse beard
BBRex
AG
I've been using Harry's razors and blades, and they seem to work pretty well. Probably not that much different than DSC.

I use a safety razor when I have more time. It just takes more time it the morning.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
Also, Taylor of Old Bond St. is the ****. I actually like it better than my Truefitt and Hill.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Is using a straight blade versus a normal razor really that much better? Have considered buying one but don't have any friends that use one.
its a hipster thing ...

I learned how to shave with a safety razor. Have moved on and not going back.
Scimitar
AG
how is it a hipster thing? most of those nutcases grow beards
95_Aggie
AG
OK ... sorry, meant metrosexual thing.
ORAggieFan
I use Dollar Shave Club. I like it. I have the most expensive blades. I hate shaving, waste of time. I don't want to think about it. I shave 1-2/week.
saber69
AG
quote:
I thought people your age already used DE safety razors
I did, until the cartridge razors things came out. Apparently I must have tossed my old adj razor at some point.

I ditched Gillette's cartridge razors some time ago. Using disposable Shicks ever since.

The only problem there is that my wife has accumulated enough Shick Extreme 3's to literally last the rest of my life.

I am probably gonna have to give away, or donate a whole bunch of those when I switch back to DE blades.
Post removed:
by user
Scimitar
AG
quote:
OK ... sorry, meant metrosexual thing.

Yeah, I don't see that either
Scimitar
AG
quote:
The only problem there is that my wife has accumulated enough Shick Extreme 3's to literally last the rest of my life.

I am probably gonna have to give away, or donate a whole bunch of those when I switch back to DE blades.

I last bought 200 Derby blades 2-3 years ago...just opened the second box of 100 a month or so ago...and I change them every week
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
I love the safety razor, but I still have a cheap one to get the area under my nose that u can't get with the safety razor without slicing something.

Atm2004 needs rhinoplasty

Spreadsheet updated

Cause in a 69 my humpty nose will tickle ya rear
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Merkur...helluva car

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I'll see your Merkur and raise you a Daewoo.

Claude!
I like using a safety razor and shaving cream applied with a badger brush. I don't know that I get an appreciably closer shave than I would with a cartridge razor and I don't really do it for reasons of fashion. It's a calming little daily (well, almost daily - my office is pretty lax) ritual. It doesn't require a lot of thought, but it does require me to slow down a little bit and use some focus. It's kind of a Zen thing, but on a really small scale (even though I have a big face).

In other words, it's kind of like taking a ****, except I'm not generally reading a book when I shave.
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
I'll see your Merkur and raise you a Daewoo.

I knew a guy in high school that was 350+ lbs that drove that car
FatZilla
AG
Just buy your own blades(and a razor). Got a big pack of feather blades for $30 off ebay. Been using them forever. Much cheaper. Couple shaves off each blade then toss it.
Reginald Cousins
S
quote:
Merkur...helluva car

They were fast. Knew a guy that had the 2 and 4 door.
phatpat21
Just signed up for dollar shave club. Only been doing it for a couple of months but for only $6 a month (4-blade razor) I personally like it. As other posters have mentioned no it's not the fusion. But for me right now, it does good. Change your blade once a week (I do two) and you always have a good shave. They also have a shave butter that is pretty fantastic
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
With derby extra blades at ~ 10-11 cents apiece, I toss them after two shaves. But I have a very thick, coarse beard.
FriendlyAg
I have never really understood any of this.

I use throw away razors and make them last 4-5 weeks. I buy bulk from Costco. Use brand made shaving cream.

I shave every morning in the shower, no mirror.

Is my skin just less sensitive than yalls?
SapperAg
AG
Just less important, apparently.
Cromagnum
AG

My really old wedge that I restored.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Dorco
Cromagnum
AG

My half hollow Wapi that shaves like a light saber through butter.
FriendlyAg
quote:
Just less important, apparently.

I never have irritation, bumps, or cuts.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.