dollar shave club

8,900 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by FriendlyAg
GigEmAgs14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
anybody joined this?
opinions if so?
Physical Graffiti
AG
UncleStephry
Did it for around 2.5 years. Did I save money? Sure. Were the razors on par with Gillette fusion? No. You get what you pay for, and I have since switched back to Fusion.
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
Did it for around 2.5 years. Did I save money? Sure. Were the razors on par with Gillette fusion? No. You get what you pay for, and I have since switched back to Fusion.
Thank you for the actual review.
I am skeptical about it since I am currently using Gillette Fusion as well.
Motel California
S
#Pathetic
BigRobSA
Fusion

And, if you have a Sam's Club membership (and, I'd assume the same could be said for CostCo), you can get a buncha cartridges at once for around $40. I usually do that and the pack of cartridges will last me about a year. And that's even with one in the shower that I use to shave my head.
Aggieranger
I have been using them for about 2 years and have had no problems with the razors. each razor head, I use the 4 blade, last for about a week. They could last longer but since i get 5 per month why not switch to a new one, it is not that much money per month. They are not Gillette but still a good value.

Give it a try for yourself, hell is only $8 per month. That is the cost of a Crown and coke.
Physical Graffiti
AG
WC87
AG
So why is it not 8 dollar shave club?
Tagguy
AG
quote:
Give it a try for yourself, hell is only $8 per month. That is the cost of a Crown and coke.

I can't do Coke....causes one of the dyes causes me to have migraines.

But the bigger question is where are you drinking that a Crown and Coke costs $8. Better be a double at that price.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Perhaps learn how to shave correctly. Merkur HD razor cost $30. 100 pack of Derby Extra blades runs ~$10.

And if you really want the full experience, get some shave oil, a brush, and some good (real) shave cream.
Ragoo
AG
Or not worry about the cost of razors all together.
SapperAg
AG
Happiest day was when I left the Army and ditched my razors. Now I wear a beard in the winter to look extra academicy and stubble the rest of the year to look all manly and outdoorsy.
Ronnie Gardocki
I just buy razors at the store.
Scimitar
AG
quote:
Perhaps learn how to shave correctly. Merkur HD razor cost $30. 100 pack of Derby Extra blades runs ~$10.

And if you really want the full experience, get some shave oil, a brush, and some good (real) shave cream.
Buck O Five
AG
quote:

+1. Razors are not high quality, but it is cheap and you always have a fresh blade.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Only real way to shave
AMW2010
AG
I haven't shaved in a month :-(
Motel California
S
quote:
I haven't shaved in a month :-(

#Pathetic
GigEmAgs14
AG
Scimmi, serious question.
Is using a straight blade versus a normal razor really that much better? Have considered buying one but don't have any friends that use one.
Scimitar
AG
I use a double sided safety razor and I've never had a closer shave compared to the 3,5,10 blade cartridge stuff. It's cheaper too.

I've wanted to try a straight razor, but don't really have the time to go that slow in the mornings.
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
I use a double sided safety razor and I've never had a closer shave compared to the 3,5,10 blade cartridge stuff. It's cheaper too.

I've wanted to try a straight razor, but don't really have the time to go that slow in the mornings.
Ah, okay. I just meant a razor in general that isn't like that ones they sell today (Gillette).
Looking into investing in one right now.
Post removed:
by user
Cromagnum
AG
quote:
Perhaps learn how to shave correctly. Merkur HD razor cost $30. 100 pack of Derby Extra blades runs ~$10. (or spring for some Gillete 7 oclocks flr $15)

Cromagnum
AG
quote:
Is using a straight blade versus a normal razor really that much better? Have considered buying one but don't have any friends that use one.

Its a lot harder to get a good shave with a straight that you cant get with a safety razor. Plus you have to buy a strop, and more than likely a couple of touch up hones, and then learn how to use it all.
aTm2004
AG
Safety razor FTW. You'll spend about $50 for the razor and $8-12 for a pack of blades that will last you several months.
GigEmAgs14
AG
quote:
quote:

Its a lot harder to get a good shave with a straight that you cant get with a safety razor. Plus you have to buy a strop, and more than likely a couple of touch up hones, and then learn how to use it all.
Yeah, I meant to say just the older style blades as opposed to the cartridge ones that I have been using the past few years. I want a closer shave that will last a bit longer than the shave I get with a cartridge razor. Looking at the double edge safety razors right now
Cromagnum
AG
At the very least pick up a tub of some TOBS (Taylor of Old Bond Street) or a tube of Proraso.
saber69
AG
I just bought a used Gillette DE adjustable safety razor off eBay. About $20.00 bucks or so. Not one of the collectable ones. They are expensive. It looks almost brand new.

Now I have to get some blades.
Scimitar
AG
I thought people your age already used DE safety razors
bdenby
AG
Been on Dollar Shave Club for two months. I really like it. I get the upgraded blades, which I feel are better than Fusion. I especially enjoy the edger/trimmer on the better blades. But even if they were just equal to Fusion, the convenience factor and always having a fresh blade is worth it to me.
GarlandAg2012
AG
So I got my safety razor for Christmas and I think either I'm doing something wrong or I don't have the right equipment. First of all, I have acne scars on my neck that frequently get reopened when I shave. When I attempted to use a safety razor I used my regular shaving cream and found the experience much more painful, bloody, and not as good of a shave as my cheap Gillette 3 blade disposables. What am I doing wrong?? I watched a video from the art of shaving and follows their instructions but still found even shaving my cheeks and chin very uncomfortable, not to mention my neck. It feels like the razor is tugging at every hair rather than slicing through. Any advice?
Scimitar
AG
1. get away from drugstore shaving foams...switch to a proper cream and brush
2. let the weight of the razor do the work...don't press too hard
3. try adjusting the angle of the razor
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Sorry for the vague answer: practice makes perfect. I got pretty bloodied up the first few times I used a safety razor. Took a month or two to really get the hang of maneuvering the blade over the contours of my face instead of just relying on the swivel on the Gillette blade.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Also, if you can get away with it professionally, only go one pass with the grain.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.