Tamales turned away at Christmas Dinner

36,443 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by bigblackag12
bigblackag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Your wife is a trashy Mexican??

Looks south east asian.

And thank goodness white girls are learning how to cook tamales. Just remember, seasoning is good. Dont be afraid of the seasoning
aggieswyn3
Tamales for Christmas dinner? That's weird. I'd throw them out too. Quit being sensitive.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
Tamales for Christmas dinner? That's weird. I'd throw them out too. Quit being sensitive.

Its not weird.
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
Why do Mexicans always eat tamales at Christmas?
we can pickle that
quote:

This was my thought too. Y'all keep saying that it's a Texas tradition, but not one I ever heard of
30_Days
AG
quote:
Why do Mexicans always eat tamales at Christmas?
why does anybody NOT?
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
So they have something to unwrap.
bigblackag12
AG
Tamales are glorious and should be included in t-gives and x-mas dinners
nuRowdy
Because they suck
we can pickle that
I don't disagree they're tasty but I've just never even heard of them being a traditional holiday food item except on texags
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I chuckled, FTI
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Goodfield Nohit
quote:
I don't disagree they're tasty but I've just never even heard of them being a traditional holiday food item except on texags
What the **** planet are you from?
bigblackag12
AG
quote:

Every person from mexico or with mexican family that I have come to know has all their tias and abuelitas making dozens of tamales for the holidays.
we can pickle that
My traditional Christmas dinners have always been Italian food
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
We always ate tamales.
combat wombat™
AG
I've read the first two pages. Sorry if this was posted on page 3 or later. Part of a host/hostesses job is to make their guests feel welcome and comfortable. Entertaining is about the people you choose to invite, not about the menu. The menu should be flexible, making your guests feel welcome shouldn't be.

Perhaps she should have left the tamales at home... but bringing something is not bad form. However, the host isn't expected to serve what you bring immediately. Like wine - they don't need to serve it.

Hostess handled it badly. She could just as easily have said they looked delicious and she didn't want to have to share them and then stuck them in the fridge.
OilFieldIRI
S
quote:
Mexicanizing American holidays.

I bet you party your a$$ of on Cinco De Mayo, huh?
Smithjg
Wait, we are Texans, Texas used to be Tejas, which was part of Mejico. I thought chili (preferably deer chili), tamales, tacos, rice & pintos were the standard for Christmas Eve or Day in Texas. What the hell is wrong with these people? Like someone said earlier, are these people fuggin Yankees? Lil sis needs to break it off now, that dog won't hunt.
FIDO*98*
AG
Traditional dinner guide

Thanksgiving: Turkey and Dressing

Christmas: Beef such as Prime Rib of Beef Wellington

Easter: Lamb

Any variances may be your family's tradition, but, aren't Traditional

Natasha Romanoff
quote:
quote:
We put their food out and don't say anything about it to them. They have no idea that it bothers her that much. But she thinks it is very rude. She usually makes it very clear to our guests that everything is taken care of and we haven't had anyone show up with food in a while unless asked to do so. All I am saying is if you have spent $400 on dinner and planned all the details and ingredients to make it a very special meal so that every dish compliments every other dish with multiple courses and such and someone goes rouge with something they brought it throws everything off and it is very rude to the host. You might as well have a church potluck.

As someone who has hosted many a formal dinner with meticulous care to ingredients, cooking styles, etc., I'm not so big a dbag that I would turn my nose up to something a guest brought. Be gracious and set out what was brought. Period.

Seriously. The guests aren't rude in this instance. You and your wife are just snobs.
80s Guy
The hostess is a twuntrocket.
Floppy Leon
AG
We're just a family of honkies but tamales are apart of our Christmas tradition.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
So they have something to unwrap.
TF thought that was terrible.........then laughed.
213 Grove
AG
Tamales at Christmas
thebloomer
AG
quote:
Any variances may be your family's tradition, but, aren't Traditional

According to whom?

Do it twice and it's a tradition. We've had tamales more than twice, so EOT.
thebloomer
AG
People > Food. Always.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Isn't goose the traditional Christmas dinner.

Someone else said it, but they must be self-important Yankees.
Tobias Funke
AG
Agree with everyone saying the host's job is to make guests feel welcome and comfortable, but most are ignoring the fact that this wasn't just a guest, it's a girlfriend who has not yet met the parents! Meeting the family on Christmas, by itself, would be a pretty nerve-wracking event for most people. Add in that mom made you feel like an idiot within the first hour and that would be humiliating for a girl.

If I was the dude and my mom pulled that, it would have gotten ugly. Not about "choosing" between your mom and gf, but about calling people out on flat-out rudeness.

When's the next-day-update coming?
schwabbin
AG
People that don't like Mexican food
fido00
AG
This traditional American had tamales last night and will be having ham today. I will be eating leftover tamales later as a bonus.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
If you are invited over to someone's house for dinner and they say don't bring anything, don't bring anything! Our friends do this occasionally when my wife has the entire menu planned out so everything works together and adding something else throws off the meal. We usually put it out to be nice and don't say much but she makes s big deal to me afterward about how annoying it is. I understand your sister being mad but honestly what did she expect to happen?

If you think someone bringing something throws off the meal you either have bigger problems than the menu or the dinner sucks. Nothing says Christmas like not being thankful someone went out of their way to be nice and bring something.

His sister just got lucky before she wasted too much time.
laavispa
This Scots gringo's Polish ancestry wife is doing our Texas tamales today. "Traditional American" really run the gamut to cooking styles.. I suppose the original "traditional" fare in year '0' would have been Hanukkah meals- if indeed the event occurred around the winter solstice.

The BF's family sounds rather gauche to say the least... better sis find another guy.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Back on topic ...

Bunkhouse96
AG
quote:
If you are invited over to someone's house for dinner and they say don't bring anything, don't bring anything! Our friends do this occasionally when my wife has the entire menu planned out so everything works together and adding something else throws off the meal. We usually put it out to be nice and don't say much but she makes s big deal to me afterward about how annoying it is. I understand your sister being mad but honestly what did she expect to happen?
100% This. It is rude to bring dinner to someone elses dinner. My wife would also be very upset. I don't understand why people find it so hard to listen when people say don't bring anything.
Bunkhouse96
AG
quote:
quote:

If you think someone bringing something throws off the meal you either have bigger problems than the menu or the dinner sucks. Nothing says Christmas like not being thankful someone went out of their way to be nice and bring something.

His sister just got lucky before she wasted too much time.

Perhaps you go to lots of basic pot luck type dinners, but when my wife bust her ass for 3 days creating decorations, making food, and creating a theme it is a problem when someone just decides that they will bring their own thing. It is bad manners plain and simple, and then to accuse them of not being thankful that someone took it upon themselves to burden the host, is asinine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.