Tamales turned away at Christmas Dinner

36,453 Views | 223 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by bigblackag12
Talon2DSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Just knowing how time consuming it is to make tamales shows a lot about your sister. It's not like she came over with cream cheese and pick a pepper. But as a host you say thank you so much and find a ****ing spot. Id eat tamales over turkey any day
Natasha Romanoff
1) BFs mom was incredibly rude
2) As a host/hostess, if you get so offended by people's subpar cooking, tell folks what they can bring. People are trying to be nice to you, understand that and just be grateful
3) I'm sorry for your sister, OP. I probably wouldn't have kept my cool
80s Guy
quote:
quote:
quote:
1) Tamales are a Texas tradition
2) Texas is in America
3) Her BF's mom sounds like a real c***

Fify

F'in A Dude. F'IN A.
FIDO*98*
AG
So what was she serving for dinner that was so important to not mix with Tamales?
Corps_Ag12
AG
I just had tamales and fajitas for dinner, actually.

And they were amazing
Post removed:
by user
Amazing Moves
Mom doesn't like her..
GinaLinetti
AG
Moms racist
Talon2DSO
AG
quote:
Moms racist

That's probably what set me off about her.
dubi
AG
I think it was rude; she should have served them with the rest of the dinner.

GinaLinetti
AG
Id be over the moon I didn't have to pay $10/dozen.
Talon2DSO
AG
Can your sister send me some? I'll be happy to buy a couple dozen or so
UndergroundAg
quote:
So what was she serving for dinner that was so important to not mix with Tamales?
I have no idea, but I will ask her when I can. I think it was very rude considering this is only their second time meeting. I'm sure my sis is super uncomfortable right now.
Post removed:
by user
Talon2DSO
AG
My heart is seriously breaking for your sister.
new straw
So rude of the mom. I'd walk out and take the tamales with me.
TheMasterplan
Serious first world problems here. Dump the boyfriend? Make him choose between his mom and his gf? Are you ****ing serious?

Bunch of drama queens in here.
BQ_90
AG
Sounds like a family of Yankees
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
quote:
What idiot turns down tamales?!? That guy needs to be dumped ASAP.

And Seven if people bringing subpar food to your dinner parties is such an offense to your refined palate, perhaps you should tell them to bring wine or a dessert, as the main course is already set. I think they would get the point, most people don't like to show up empty handed so they bring something when told not to.
My friends understand that we have the menu planned out and shouldn't bring anything if asked not to. Sounds like the OPs sister doesn't understand proper dinner party etiquette. It's no different than being invited to a catered business party and you show up with potato salad or some crap. The host spent a lot of time and money to plan everything about the party and if you are asked to not bring anything then don't. It isn't that hard to understand.
12thGauge
Incredibly rude Mom... wow...
dubi
AG
quote:
most people don't like to show up empty handed so they bring something when told not to

Bingo!
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Going to a family dinner is a lot different than going to a business dinner. A host normally says they don't need you to bring anything because they do not want to burden their guests. I always tell people they don't need to bring anything, unless they want to bring alcohol. I would never get upset/not put something out if a guest brought food.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
She was asked not to bring anything. If you must bring something bring some flowers or some wine and write a thank you note afterwards. No one will think you are rude for doing that and the thank you note will go a long way afterward.
Catch
AG
I hadn't thought about it until I openened this thread, but there better be ****ing tamales for Christmas lunch tomorrow or I'm gonna be pissed.
I Play With Guns
S
I'd just like to say that this white girl spent ALLLL Sunday making tamales and spreading 10 pounds of masa.....

Talk about hand cramps!
FIDO*98*
AG
Seven, I can promise you I'm at least as talented in the kitchen as your wife and probably better. I do the exact same thing with my guests and they still show up with food at times they were told not to bring anything. I've never considered it rude or disruptive and certainly would never say it 'ruined' my meal. The problem is with y'all and not your guests
UndergroundAg
Seven, I see what you are saying but as mentioned before this is a casual Christmas dinner, she is trying to get to know the family, manners go both ways, maby my sis really shouldn't have taken an additional food item since it was not requested but the bf mom could have been a bit more considerate, maby putting them out a bit before dinner or after, rather than completely dismissing the gesture. I don't know what the right thing to do or not to do was, in the end it just sucks when someone else is made to feel bad during the holidays.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
We put their food out and don't say anything about it to them. They have no idea that it bothers her that much. But she thinks it is very rude. She usually makes it very clear to our guests that everything is taken care of and we haven't had anyone show up with food in a while unless asked to do so. All I am saying is if you have spent $400 on dinner and planned all the details and ingredients to make it a very special meal so that every dish compliments every other dish with multiple courses and such and someone goes rouge with something they brought it throws everything off and it is very rude to the host. You might as well have a church potluck.
dubi
AG
quote:
All I am saying is if you have spent $400 on dinner and planned all the details and ingredients to make it a very special meal so that every dish compliments every other dish with multiple courses and such and someone goes rouge with something they brought it throws everything off and it is very rude to the host. You might as well have a church potluck.

Geez
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
A casual Christmas dinner is a little different. Sounds like the mom isn't s good host. As said it will make my wife mad but you would never know it and she would make sure everyone felt appreciated and welcome. Our holiday meals are usually more formal with the menu being planned out at least a month ahead of time.
Talon2DSO
AG
quote:
I'd just like to say that this white girl spent ALLLL Sunday making tamales and spreading 10 pounds of masa.....

Talk about hand cramps!

Love me some white gurls that can spread the masa
Bigsteve713
AG
+1 for tamales

+1 for sisters
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
All I am saying is if you have spent $400 on dinner and planned all the details and ingredients to make it a very special meal so that every dish compliments every other dish with multiple courses and such and someone goes rouge with something they brought it throws everything off and it is very rude to the host. You might as well have a church potluck.

Geez
We go all out for our dinner parties. Obviously $400 would be for a big group but that is often the case for us. My wife loves to cook and even more so for big groups.
trouble
AG
His mom was incredibly rude.

I'm a great cook and have planned many meals for groups, formal and informal. There is no excuse to be a bad hostess.

And seven, i guarandamntee you that most people who come to your home for dinner don't even notice the small nuances that your wife thinks someone else's contribution ruins.
Talon2DSO
AG
quote:
We put their food out and don't say anything about it to them. They have no idea that it bothers her that much. But she thinks it is very rude. She usually makes it very clear to our guests that everything is taken care of and we haven't had anyone show up with food in a while unless asked to do so. All I am saying is if you have spent $400 on dinner and planned all the details and ingredients to make it a very special meal so that every dish compliments every other dish with multiple courses and such and someone goes rouge with something they brought it throws everything off and it is very rude to the host. You might as well have a church potluck.

As someone who has hosted many a formal dinner with meticulous care to ingredients, cooking styles, etc., I'm not so big a dbag that I would turn my nose up to something a guest brought. Be gracious and set out what was brought. Period.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.