20 Years ago--The ground war in Iraq kicked off

1,613 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by Tanker123
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On this date in 2003, the ground-war in Iraq began in the wee hours of the morning. I crossed the border as a team leader with 2nd Sqd, 1st Plt, B Co, 11th EN BN, TF 2-7INF, 1st BDE, 3ID on the initial invasion. I was the second Engineer from my company to cross the border (my driver crossed the border just before me). I was the TC in my M113 (call sign Bulldog 1-2 Alpha) and the .50cal gunner. I didn't know it at the time, but I would cross that border 3 more times before it was all said and done. It seems like ages ago and yet it seems like yesterday

I'm NOT posting this looking for Thanks for my service, I was just doing my job. I am posting this because this event set in motion the events that changed my life forever, and it is therapeutic to me to post about it.

I'm cross-posting on the History and Politics boards.
JABQ04
AG
I remember watching this on the news my junior year in dorm 11 and thinking id never make it to this one. Boy, was I wrong
CharlieBrown17
AG
JABQ04 said:

I remember watching this on the news my junior year in dorm 11 and thinking id never make it to this one. Boy, was I wrong

I commissioned in '18 and have still been to Iraq and Afghanistan.
Aggie12B
AG
20 years ago, at almost this exact local time, I should have died in Iraq.

We were traveling north and were told that there was a minefield from the first gulf war close to our route and to make sure we stayed in the tracks of the vehicle in front of you. Convoy stops and I turn around in the gunner's hatch just to take in the scope of this huge ass military convoy that I was a part of. There on the ground, in the space between my vehicle and the vehicle behind us, were 3 Anti-Tank mines with OUR tracks going right over them. Luckily, the sand underneath the AT mines was very loose and when we rolled over the top of them, all the mines did was tip over almost on to their sides. I said to my squad leader "hey Chuck, you feeling lucky to be alive, right now?" He asked what I was talking about and I Just pointed to the mines we had just driven over. I told the Soldier who was closest to the radio to switch us over to the Task Force Net and then I Made this Radio call "All stations this net, all stations this net, This is BULLDOG 1-2 Alpha, be advised, we have mines on the ground, I say again, we have mines on the ground." The task force commander came over the radio and asked if I could confirm my statement. I asked if I needed to get out of my track and check or if seeing my vehicle's tracks going over the top of the AT mines was good enough?

If I said that was my ONLY close call with death in Iraq, I would be lying.Many times over the years, I have wished I would have

Matt_ag98
12B ironically I have (now) BG Hibner about to be in my town next week for a conference, will be good to catch up and talk about these events from 20 years ago!
Aggie12B
AG
Matt_ag98 said:

12B ironically I have (now) BG Hibner about to be in my town next week for a conference, will be good to catch up and talk about these events from 20 years ago!
BG Hibner was the company commander of Aco,11th EN BN, when I was in B11th. His twin brother was a company commander in 10th EN BN at the same time. Both Hibner twins earned Silver Stars during the initial invasion of Iraq
Tanker123
We put heavy army divisions in the lead, and they did quite well at demolishing the Iraqi forces with firepower and armor protection. We reached Baghdad rather quickly and watched Iraqis celebrate and bring down Saddam's statues. Then we looked at each other and thought what do we do now?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.