Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Shingle Brand Opinions - GAF vs. Owens Corning Vs. Certainteed

4,229 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by PeekingDuck
Hoelag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Morning folks,

I am getting my roof replaced in two weeks for the first time as a homeowner, and I wanted to get an idea of which shingle people in the industry most recommend out of the following three:

Option #1 - GAF Timberline HDZ
Option #2 - Owens Corning Duration
Option #3 - Certainteed Landmark

I've read several articles comparing the differences, but would appreciate personal opinions from others who know more than me!

Thanks.

tgivaughn
AG
Since 1980, always the Timberline in hot, humid Aggieland that gets minor hail compared to outlying reagions.
The third re-shingle & flashing was 2014 UltraHD ("40yr") w/stainguard over 30# felt. Still looks like new even with foot traffic maintenace & of course all those squirrels
IMHO and am sticking to it
Jason_InfinityRoofer
The installer is going to be of paramount importance. It's more important than the brand since you're considering all top tier products. Make sure they are qualified from the manufacturer to install that shingle and double check that they are current and registered with the manufacturers website. Extended warranties are not valid u less they follow the accessory requirements and hold the certificate for what they are installing. It matters. IF you have a warranty claim, the manufacturer will want to know the standing of the company at the time of installation. Again, this matters. A lot.

Now…

All three of those are great shingles. Pick the color you want and the pattern that suits you and go with it. Otherwise, if I am providing extended warranties, I prefer GAF or OC because it's cost effective to give 10 year warranties with them. Certainteed has nice warranties that look great on paper but they cost more and the fact is that warranties outside of 10 years are kind of pointless. I also prefer GAF because of our pricing which allows me to upgrade a lot of stuff with their products and set up homeowners with a superior product to what they have in nearly all cases.

All three are competing brands. In the South, we sell GAF most by a large margin. Up north Certainteed picks up a larger market share.

As I said first, your installer needs to be certified for whatever he is installing. With us, any of those brands are ok but very few hold all three so, If your installer is master elite for GAF, he cannot offer extended warranties for OC and you're best option is to go with GAF. Same for OC Platinum or Shinglemaster for CT.

Assuming your installer is installing per requirements (6 nails per shingle among other things) ….

GAF has a no limit wind warranty, a wide nail zone
Certainteed is 130mph, wide nail zone
Owens Corning is 130mph and has SureNail my long embedded strip if you are in the Duration product line or the Storm product line for Class 4.

I like all three for different reasons. I like Certainteed because it's physically a heavier shingle. The granules are smaller, they shed less in the package and I started roofing with this brand so I'm biased to it. They do not have as high a profile "high profile" ridge cap as I like though.

I like GAF for their no limit wind warranty, cost, and ability to upgrade the hell out of customers. Love Z-Ridge

I like Owens Corning for their nail zone technology. I love RizeRidge

I think you can't go wrong with any of these. I have not had a warranty claim with any of them that I can recall.

If you want some more details, feel free to give me a shout and I'll hook you up with warranty docs or specs.

If you let me know where you live, I'll call my supplier or rep for the region and have them strip off a shingle for each of those brands and you can physically go look at them. Touch them. See for yourself what you like. If you are in San Antonio, you can come to my shop and see them as well.

https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
ktownag08
AG
Jason's post should probably be EOT.

I'll just add that our custom builder in Houston prefers Certainteed. Did a bit of research, and made sense to me.
JP76
I have used all of those brands numerous times on new construction, additions, and hail restoration projects. I like the look of gaf and certainteed. I like the durability of OC. I have replaced roofs on houses that were literally across the street from each other and both got hail again and were the same exact age and the gaf got totaled out from strikes while the oc only had a few strikes showing on it. Thought it was a fluke but the same thing happened on 2 other houses in the same town that I put OC on and the neighbors got totaled out while the OC held up fine.
JP76
That 2014 roof survived the 2018 and 2020 hail storms in bcs ?
tgivaughn
AG
Indeed, though on SW side (2 miles South of Campus Golf Course, hail was not severe.
The big hail problem is always just North of Navasota and sometimes North Bryan.

In suspect of dead tree felling work potential damage, Schulte did an inspection a few months ago, glued one tree-felling loosed shingle back on top of ridge vent, judged the rest A-OK.
IMHO and am sticking to it
Hoelag13
AG
Appreciate the inputs!
Sea Speed
AG
We just put timberline hdz on our house and it looks freaking fantastic. Can't comment on quality yet but damn I like the look.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Jason_InfinityRoofer
SeaSpeeds is HDZ in the HARVEST BLEND line, possibly Cedar Falls.

https://www.gaf.com/en-us/roofing-products/residential-roofing-products/shingles/timberline/architectural/timberline-hdz

Just to clarify that the typical pallets are a bit more uniform as seen below.

The pic below is HDZ in Shakewood. Note but uniformity of the "shakes".

https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
aTm_bomb
AG
Great info here. Jason, we are doing a home Reno and replacing roof out of pocket. Shingle samples we've been provided are GAF Timberline HDZ and Atlas Pinnacle Pristine. Any comments when deciding between these 2?
army79
If you go GAF, you pay around $1600 if your roofer is certified with them and get a 40 year warranty- check it out
Chase
AG
As usual, Jason is all over this question with great info.

I have a roofer client that I do a lot of literature and web work for and so I end up reading up on tons of this stuff and talking to him about what he sells. Based on that, I'd second what Jason has said.

I will add that while GAF and Certainteed have a lot of similar colors there are a couple that I felt looked clearly better with one or the other. Certainteed's Moire Black was much better than the Charcola offered by GAF, for instance.

With everything I looked at, I came away liking the GAF for my next re-roof but even though the roofer is a GAF Master Elite roofer and mostly isntalls GAF, he installed Certainteed Landmark Pro MaxDef in color Resawn Shake on his own house.

Good luck.
Chase
AG
aTm_bomb said:

Great info here. Jason, we are doing a home Reno and replacing roof out of pocket. Shingle samples we've been provided are GAF Timberline HDZ and Atlas Pinnacle Pristine. Any comments when deciding between these 2?

Not the same quality level as GAF and Certainteed, IMO...Jason?
Whoop Delecto
AG
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Atlas shingles aren't bad. However, I do not have any experience with them at all. I don't install them and I havnt had my hands on them recently to form an educated opinion. However, the Atlas's is a class III shingle and HDZ is not. In reality that just means GAF isn't officially certified as a Class III. In all fairness, it probably would if GAF paid for testing and certification.

I'm quite partial to Certainteed shingles. I've never personally had any issues with GAF, Certainteed or OC, but I prefer the grain size and build of the Certainteed Landmark MaxDef products. The hip and ridge can be upgraded to a Cedar Crest for high profile.

Back to the Atlas, I think it's going to be fine. Pick the color pallets you like, or go to the suppliers and have them yank a shingle of each and feel them for yourself. I can put you in contact with my reps for a local supplier to you and they can help you get those. If you need, I'll get the Atlas rep and you can talk to him. He's going to sell you on atlas, but the info may be useful.

As for GAF, we are Master Elite for them, Platinum for OC, and ShingleMaster for Certainteed. I do not push for long term warrenties. I'll push for a 10 year if someone really wants it but the average shingle lives 7-15 years in Texas. On top of that, if I sell you a high dollar 25-50 year warranty and you get a hail storm next week, that warranty is void. I will absolutely sell if if a customer wants, but I don't consider it to be in their best interest financially. The shingles already come with lifetime warranties against defects for the most part and that comes for free.

I've actually grown fond of Malarkey shingles as well. I like their colors, the reps are easy to talk to, prices are decent. .
aTm_bomb
AG
Thank you, Jason, for the context. All good info. No need to reach out to your suppliers as I have engaged with my GC's roof consultant to get more clarity on products they offer and samples. Thanks again for all your help!
PeekingDuck
AG
bomb,

I think Atlas are fairly well regarded on construction, but you should ask to see some installed on houses. Each manufacturer has a slightly different visual profile and I just didn't like the Atlas when installed. I think the more vertical your roof is, the better. They don't look great on flatter roofs, in my experience.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.