Houston Country Clubs

215,320 Views | 345 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MechEAgg
BESCo91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
DRE06 said:

Put a premium on location and the ability to occasionally make it to the club for late afternoon golf after work.

This cannot be overstated.
The Grinder (99)
AG
Ok mr bond, give me a clue who you are... I graduated CHS '95 and was on the team all 4 years
Ag_07
AG
Any members at Pine Forest?

I'm looking into maybe jumping on board and wanted to see if anyone had any insight or info.

Thanks
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Last I checked Carlton Woods is $90k to join for full membership (you get both courses of course) and $30k for a junior (young professional) and $70k for full membership non resident. Monthly dues are around $1k range.
Boo Weekley
Ag_07 said:

I'm looking into maybe jumping on board and wanted to see if anyone had any insight or info.

Thanks
Have thought about joining as well. Totally would if we lived in Spring Branch or Memorial area but it's just a little too far for me. I love that course. The greens are top notch too.

They were offering some great deals a few months back.
HouAggie
AG
Boo Weekley said:

Ag_07 said:

Thanks
Have thought about joining as well. Totally would if we lived in Spring Branch or Memorial area but it's just a little too far for me. I love that course. The greens are top notch too.

They were offering some great deals a few months back.
Do it. Greens are great. 27 holes is great for course congestion, even on the busiest days of the year. Good group of junior members out there too.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah we're in SB just a short 15 min drive away.

I could't ever justify it for just golf but now with a kid and a wife who's ready to move on from her current gym membership the use of the pool, kids club, gym, and spa make it worth it.

GCP12
AG
Is anyone a member at kingwood? I'm considering joining the young executive membership.
Ezra Brooks
AG
GCP12 said:

Is anyone a member at kingwood? I'm considering joining the young executive membership.
I dropped my membership down to Family Fitness level.

I can likely answer any questions you might have except for costs.

Could even sponsor if you need that.
GCP12
AG
Well, I'll start with why did you drop?

My grandparents have been members out there forever and I like the courses. I work in Humble, so I could easily get in nine holes after work during the week. I was told $300 a month and I thought she said cart was included. That just seems like a great deal with there being 4 18 holes courses.
Ezra Brooks
AG
GCP12 said:

Well, I'll start with why did you drop?

My grandparents have been members out there forever and I like the courses. I work in Humble, so I could easily get in nine holes after work during the week. I was told $300 a month and I thought she said cart was included. That just seems like a great deal with there being 4 18 holes courses.
Easy enough.

We dropped because I wasn't playing. Kids will do that to you. I have full plans of returning to a golf level membership when the kids' activity level allows it. Until then, I have to settle for the occasional guest round or buying a 4some at the PTA fundraiser.

What I'll say is this - as a Jr. Member, it's probably the best value in the city.4 courses kept in above average (not great, but really good) condition. I never had any trouble getting on, though it can get a bit crowded at peak hours. I don't really think they cap membership any, quite the opposite really.

I think the value erodes a little as they take you to full dues membership - you'll need to really use the facilities to get value. I'm not sure of the cart included comment, that's likely a short term based perk as a incentive if it's true, I think we had something similar our first year.

The facilities are in the process of getting a really needed upgrade (something about 15+ feet of water across most of the property). The fitness facility has been re-opened for 3 weeks. Deerwood re-hab is up next an then the main clubhouse. I suspect it will be next year before the main clubhouse is back open - word is there is some issue getting permits.

The main clubhouse got a re-do about 3-4 years ago, that updated it, but I'm hoping this forced re-do will really make it nice.
jja79
AG
How old are your kids? See if they take to golf. If they do you won't believe how much golf you'll get to play.
Ezra Brooks
AG
8 & 6 year old boys have shown limited interest. We are currently in a stand-off as they really want me to take them to the course and I want to see them hit the ball in the air on the range first.

Also, the one time I did take them to the course, the 8 year old (probably 6 at the time) manage to hit his younger brother right in the face with an iron - leaving quite the goosebump.

4 year old sister has no interest.

My last chance for a real golf buddy is the 11 week old daughter...gonna start her putting as soon as she can stand.
jj9000
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

8 & 6 year old boys have shown limited interest. We are currently in a stand-off as they really want me to take them to the course and I want to see them hit the ball in the air on the range first.
You gain nothing from winning this stand-off.

You lose the opportunity to get to hang out with them on the course...and have them get familiar with their surroundings.

If they really want to go to the course, why not just take them?
jja79
AG
I have a son who is now 15. He and I played 72 holes this weekend. I was never a golfer but he started talking golf when he was under 5 so I took him to a range. He loved it. When he was 6 I think it was I got him a set of 4 or 5 kids clubs and took him to a $20 muni at twilight and he loved it. Ever since I can't tell you how much time he and I have spent together in a golf cart. I had to take golf up to spend time with him so we both won out.

I wouldn't care if they picked it up and threw it, if they want to be on the golf course get them on the golf course. If it clicks you'll all benefit.
Ezra Brooks
AG
The club to the face experience really has an effect here.

My best bet is to get each of them out separately, but those opportunities are few and far between.
GCP12
AG
Thanks for the info. I think it's a great deal, but I'm not sure if I'll use it enough. I would be joining for only golf, so not sure I can justify it.
hoffalot
Reviving an old thread here... but my dad is retiring and floated the idea of a golf membership in Houston. I wanted to check trusty Texags for recent opinions on some local clubs.

Any members at Champions, Raveneaux, GCoH/Blackhawk, Lochinvar, Royal Oaks, Houston Country Club, BraeBurn...? I know that's a big net but we're considering everything within about 30 minutes of downtown.

Priorities are 1: golf, 2: golf,..... 3: club atmosphere.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Depends how much he's looking to pay and if there is a location preference. I'd recommend Champions.
They are hosting the US Womens Open next year I believe and just renovated one of the tracks as such.
PA24
AG
Kingwood

I was a member at Kingwood for 10 years, been a member of the Club Corp for about 20 yrs.

Kingwood has some nice courses, good food, and nice golfing atmosphere. A lot of folks from Houston are members there.

Golf At The Clubs of Kingwood
SELECTED AS ONE OF 2016 AND 2017's "TOP 100 GOLF COURSES IN TEXAS" BY DALLAS MORNING NEWS
Tee off with friends and family on our award-winning golf course. At The Clubs of Kingwood, we have reserved for our Members some of the top 10 courses in Texas for their playing pleasure. Our Kingwood Country Club hosts both the stage I and II games of the PGA Tour Qualifiers, as well as the Senior PGA Doug Sanders Celebrity Pro Am Classic.
Our clubs also hosted the 2008 Texas State Senior Open and the Canadian Open Tour event. Along with our many other numerous recognitions and awards, the movie Tin Cup, starring Kevin Costner, was shot on both our Deerwood and Forest courses. We pride ourselves in providing great service and exceptional conditions on all our golf courses. With the Deerwood, Island, Forest, Lake and Marsh courses, you have the opportunity to test every aspect of your game.
With four sets of tee boxes on each course, an excellent challenge awaits both the beginner and the seasoned golfer. We offer something for everyone from tournaments and lessons to one of the largest fully stocked golf shops in Texas. We are here to make your day a beautiful day at The Clubs of Kingwood.
Contact the Pro Shop to find out more about golf at The Clubs of Kingwood.

BTD
If golf is your priority 1a then location should be 1b. You listed cc's all over Harris county. Less miles equals more golf.
jonj101
Based on your preferences, I'd start with golf clubs and then open it to Country Clubs that put golf foremost over social interactions, etc. I'll add 3 suggestions based on places that I have been, but others may have more to say.

If I had my pick from a pure golfing standpoint, Champions is where I'd start with. I'm not a member there but from what I recall they require I think a 12 handicap to join. Jackie and Jimmy built that place about golf and when I was last there the legacy still stands. The locker room is practically a mixture of locker room, museum, and hang out spot. For my view, the place gives off a golf history vibe without being pretentious.

Although it is a Country Club and not just a golf club, Riverbend Country Club has a historical course with/golf legacy vibe to it. It was designed by Press Maxwell (son of Perry Maxwell) The locker room is almost as good as Champions in my mind and the members I met when visiting there multiple times have always been open and accommodating. A few holes may be short by modern standards, but the course (imo) has a fun, classic vibe to it.

For the last one I'll admit my bias, but its Golfcrest in Pearland. Yes, with traffic it barely meets the 30 min from downtown requirement, but GC while unknown to many Houston area golfers is a great course. Even though it is older, the greens and numerous doglegs make it a shot makers course that requires significant skill. UH's home may be GCOH, but they practice out at GC on occasion as well. A number of mini tour players also call it home. Yes, its a country club but the golf is the high priority there.

Edit: Kingwood as mentioned above is great from a variety standpoint. If I lived in the area I would be a member there - but for me membership at Deerwood be mandatory. Also, the comment on proximity is spot on. You want to spend less time on the freeway and more on the course.

What industry is your dad retiring from?
rononeill
If your dad has grandkids, I'd highly recommend Braeburn. The golf is top notch parklands style; extremely walkable and medium traffic. Can easily get a 3.5hr Saturday am round and a 2.5 hr Wednesday round is just as simple. For family stuff it's great- bingo nights, holiday stuff, Halloween parties, etc. the membership really uses this stuff. We've been out there for a year or so and have gotten a ton of mileage out of it.

And a response to a throwback comment about bringing kids on the course... we've got a 5 year old daughter and I can't begin to explain how amazing a time I've had with her on the course. She's got a $90 3 club kit, with limited guidance (hands right, swing away) she can take 20 swings and grind down a par 4. But she loves chasing ducks and rolling down the hills all the same. As I see it, for a $3 Gatorade and a cup full of goldfish, I get an afternoon on the course w my girl and mom gets and afternoon off. That's worth every penny.
rononeill
Just do it after lunch, once the bros and olds are done
rononeill
Back to your dad... a club becomes one of the places you "go". If the f&b program is worth a flip, you should see a lot of value in the dining scene. In a non-profit environment the food is at the level the membership demands commercially, the booze markup is minimal and the pours are strong; and the prices are a steal! We see 10-20% markup on wine, $20 bottles sold for $24 sort of thing.
Harry Stone
AG
hoffalot said:

Reviving an old thread here... but my dad is retiring and floated the idea of a golf membership in Houston. I wanted to check trusty Texags for recent opinions on some local clubs.

Any members at Champions, Raveneaux, GCoH/Blackhawk, Lochinvar, Royal Oaks, Houston Country Club, BraeBurn...? I know that's a big net but we're considering everything within about 30 minutes of downtown.

Priorities are 1: golf, 2: golf,..... 3: club atmosphere.

IIRC clubs like Champions, Lochinvar and HCC have a wait list. Also, that price range is pretty wide here. Lochinvar is over 100k, while Blackhawk/GCoH is around 25k. Shadow Hawk is just over 70k, and it is a fantastic GOLF club with short rounds on wknds.
jja79
AG
I had a business lunch this week with a member at Pine Forest. It was lunch not golf so I can't tell you about the course but they've done a nice job with the facilities and and the people I met were really friendly. If I were looking and it was convenient I'd consider it.

For a variety of reasons Houston Oaks isn't what you're looking for, but yesterday with the weather perfect my son and I played in 2:10. Only 22 total rounds yesterday so we basically had the course to ourselves.
fairviewcrew
If golf is #1 and # 2 I'd agree w/ Champions.

As mentioned earlier- budget and time to get in is a big question...

River Oaks / Houston / Lakeside / Lochinvar will all be 90-100k+ initiations.... HCC longest/hardest process but should be speeding up with their upcoming renovation. Lakeside fairly quick right now with their rebuild, could get in in 1.5-2 yrs. Lochinvar is most golf focused out of those 4
jja79
AG
Wouldn't Champions be more than 30 minutes from DT?
fairviewcrew
Technically it is 25-30 minutes from downtown (with no traffic)....so obviously various times of day will differ greatly

Do you actually live downtown? Or just coming from work?

Most convenient from downtown is ROCC but Lochinvar is pretty easy to get to from downtown on Hardy
jja79
AG
The guy who revived the thread said he's looking for something within 30 minutes of DT. I just thought Champions would be a longer drive. I live and work in that area and allott more than half an hour when going DT.
fairviewcrew
I highlighted that 30 minutes is with no traffic and the time will vary greatly depending on time.

But more info on budget and club culture is needed to give good advice here
evestor1
I work in Willowbrook and it takes me 20 minutes to get to champions most days...and I usually get mean-mugged the entire drive in.

jja79 - being a member at Houston Oaks sounds like a dream. I've played there twice and it was fantastic!
jja79
AG
When did you play Houston Oaks? The course has been open 18 months now so its starting to get really good. The Big 12 teams were very complimentary after their match play event last month.

evestor1
First week of November 2018 and somewhere around October 2017 (I think)

Great track. I love the tee-ball off of 17 bc of that beautiful tree. Beautiful all around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.