Charleston, SC - April Anniversary Recs

1,098 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by aggiedata
B$Weigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife and I have booked our flights to celebrate our anniversary in April. I'm open to any and all recs on hotels/ best area to stay, restaurants, bars, activities.

Duration in Charleston: Thurday AM thru Sunday around lunch.

Ideally we would prefer to stay somewhere that would allow us to walk/short uber to most bars & restaurants.

Fire away & TIA for all suggestions!
AustinCountyAg
several good charleston threads already if you want to search. stay near north broad/french quarter area and you'll be fine. everything is walking distance.
EclipseAg
AG
Here's a link to my trip report ... we went January 2022.

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/3268256
B$Weigem
AG
Thank you! I'll give it a look.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I road Eclipse's coattails on that thread as well. Haven't read my review in a while. Now I wish we'd planned a trip to Charleston during the holidays.
Take the trash out staff.
CyAg86
AG
We went back in late September, great trip. Stayed at Hotel Bennett, very nice with a fabulous staff. It is a little farther from Historic District and Market than some others, but not too far to walk to those areas.

We dined at Halls Chophouse, Magnolia's and Church and Union, all excellent, would definitely recommend.

We did the horse carriage tour through the Historic District, it was good and informative. We went over to Kiawah Island one day, played golf and went to Ryder Cup Bar and Grill afterwards, great waterfront location. It is difficult to find an Uber on the island, arrange a way to get back ahead of time.
SteveG
AG
+1 for Halls Chophouse. Great place, service and food.

Hill Wire Distilling is a cool place that makes their own bourbon. Made with a special red corn (Jimmy Red corn) if you are in to that. It is centrally located.

Also, if you want to get some SC BBQ, try Rodney Scott's. He does whole hog so gotta try the swine (pulled pork). He has won all kinds of awards including a James Beard, and been one of the features on a BBQ special on Netflix along with Snows. The dining scene is amazing. Get some good seafood - shrimp and grits always are good. And try some fried green tomatoes. If you are coming from Texas, don't try the Mexican. Unless it is Rancho Lewis (from native Texan, John Lewis who is from El Paso). Great hatch chili influenced items. He also has a Texas BBQ place, Lewis BBQ. He learned from Aaron Franklin and it's a great spot for those of us from Texas, living in SC.

Walk along the battery. Rainbow row. Cool old " Charleston style" houses and architecture. And take the short boat ride to Fort Sumpter if you have time.

Travel safe! You are gonna love it.

aggiedata
AG
+2 for Hall's Chophouse

Culinary highlight of the trip this past week. Went there for our anniversary based on this thread. It did not disappoint.

Other restaurants that were great include The Darling oyster bar and Magnolias. Pubs include Bumpa's and an amazing hamburger joint called Heavy's.

The Angel Live Oak Tree was very cool.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.