Astros/Rangers Discussion - NO MODS ALLOWED

55,447 Views | 1079 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Leave it to the Rangers to think they can just buy jesus.

Buy him? We DFA'd him twice already! Houston could have had him for league minimum. Lord knows we all need Jesus. (Is that redundant?)
Really need a skit where Jesus get DFA'ed.

Reminds me of this gem from SNL. Sudekis played a great Jesus.

Elder_LarryII
Quote:

South Platte
2:14p, 5/23/24

Still ahead of the Astros, at least for now. Can you imagine being a sports fan in Houston? No hockey, basketball team is a shoe-in lottery pick every year, Astros appear to have gotten old overnight, so then you put everything you have into the Texans, who have 5 playoff games in franchise history.

Dallas will never have it as bad as Houston.
LOL from the ranger thread always obsessing over daddy Houston, this reads like a pyscho ex.
The Porkchop Express
Elder_LarryII said:

Quote:

South Platte

Still ahead of the Astros, at least for now. Can you imagine being a sports fan in Houston? No hockey, basketball team is a shoe-in lottery pick every year, Astros appear to have gotten old overnight, so then you put everything you have into the Texans, who have 5 playoff games in franchise history.

LOL from the ranger thread always obsessing over daddy Houston, this reads like a pyscho ex.
How is that any different from using your sock to peek at their thread and then regurgitate it here?
Marvin
AG
Yeah, I'm not sure being the pillow fight champion is much to crow about this season- from either side.
We both suck right now.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Elder_LarryII

Elder_LarryII said:

Quote:

South Platte

How is that any different from using your sock to peek at their thread and then regurgitate it here?
are you lost this a **** talking thread someone actually said he's a good poster lmao?
The Porkchop Express
Elder_LarryII said:

Elder_LarryII said:

Quote:

South Platte

are you lost this a **** talking thread someone actually said he's a good poster lmao?
if that's your definition of trash talking, we need to send you to West Palm Beach to get your **** together.
Mathguy64
AG
Best ****ing 23-28 team in baseball.

Just a half game from some 24-28 team.
Mathguy64
AG
Best freaking 23-29 and 24-29 teams in baseball baby!
Silent For Too Long
Welcome back to the Win column Arlington. Seems like it's been awhile for you chaps.
Mathguy64
AG
Woo hoo. Best 24-29 and 25-29 teams in baseball!

I don't understand why you boys up north aren't celebrating this.
Mathguy64
AG
I just want to encourage all my sulking northern buddies who are too ashamed to post here anymore but who lurk in the background like Son of Sam in the shadows that tonight is the night they can watch the world's worst baseball player in action.

Since your own under .500 team isn't playing, come watch another underwater team attempt to hold its head above the water line while playing one Jose "Captain Lou" Abreu.

Mr .099/.156/.113 himself is once again the starting 1B for your Southern brethren. It's not often you can watch anti-greatness in action but with luck you could see literally the worst ML player in the league get not one, not 2, not 3 but hopefully 4 or more completely wasted ABs.

Come join us in our misery. Let us laugh and cry together. It will be worth the price of admission.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2024/05/27/angel-hernandez-retires-mlb-umpire-stats/73873676007/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3CiyjY4WTkxdWxItlUHJLHFAzZ7Ez1vyijL2RU9StFXpCDxy-oD3XQBQs_aem_Ab18_sj1ak2SF7ijhO97ji6NNdol260ohnwMa5RC7SJxq4Bwd99AzRjA0rMSg58JT-RP-HGsZqxjtBek7j0BISpv#lwppii0u8xp2rbhjq5r

I think we can all celebrate this.
512Ag
AG
agent-maroon
AG
You're bringing him back against the division leading Mariners? Maybe I don't understand baseball like I thought I did, but that seems... not smart. Seattle throwing their worst pitcher or something?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DallasAg 94
My view of the Rangers and Astros has not changed since the season began.

No sulking here. We have this other team... they play on ice... had a game tonight. Won. Up 2-1. We've had nightly games for Western Conf Playoffs. Mavs (NBA up 3-0) likely clinch tomorrow

We've had more players put on the IL than I expected, but it is always next man up. You play the players you have.

I've never been much of a trash talker and never much for posting on the trash-talking threads... whether we're winning or losing. I'll throw out a jab or express an opinion, but overall, I'd still like the WS to come through Texas every year.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

My view of the Rangers and Astros has not changed since the season began.

No sulking here. We have this other team... they play on ice... had a game tonight. Won. Up 2-1. We've had nightly games for Western Conf Playoffs. Mavs (NBA up 3-0) likely clinch tomorrow

We've had more players put on the IL than I expected, but it is always next man up. You play the players you have.

I've never been much of a trash talker and never much for posting on the trash-talking threads... whether we're winning or losing. I'll throw out a jab or express an opinion, but overall, I'd still like the WS to come through Texas every year.

Stars / mavs providing a much needed diversion from the rangers and their walking wounded team.
South Platte
Mathguy64 said:

I just want to encourage all my sulking northern buddies who are too ashamed to post here anymore but who lurk in the background like Son of Sam in the shadows that tonight is the night they can watch the world's worst baseball player in action.

Since your own under .500 team isn't playing, come watch another underwater team attempt to hold its head above the water line while playing one Jose "Captain Lou" Abreu.

Mr .099/.156/.113 himself is once again the starting 1B for your Southern brethren. It's not often you can watch anti-greatness in action but with luck you could see literally the worst ML player in the league get not one, not 2, not 3 but hopefully 4 or more completely wasted ABs.

Come join us in our misery. Let us laugh and cry together. It will be worth the price of admission.
We've been a little busy. We have so many elite franchises we don't have time to watch them all.
The Porkchop Express

15. Texas Rangers
Record: 27-29
Previous ranking: 12
A funny thing happened while we were waiting for Texas' powerhouse October rotation to gradually come together through a continually improving injury list. Texas' high-power offense that helped propel the Rangers to their first title last year has been flat-out mediocre. Texas has dropped from second to 15th in average, third to 12th in OBP and third to 15th in slugging. If the Rangers were hitting as expected, the middling work of the pitching staff would have been good enough to keep Texas solidly in first place, with hopes of a steep ascension as the rotation gets healthier. Instead, Texas' headaches have turned out to be more widespread than the injuries to Max Scherzer and Jacob deGrom. -- Doolittle

16. Houston Astros
Record: 24-32
Previous ranking: 17

Jesse Rogers
Is the dynasty crumbling? For most of the first two months, that's how it's looked for the Astros. Houston is below replacement in both starting and relief pitching. The offense has been above average but also uneven. Kyle Tucker is having an MVP-level season and Jose Altuve has been as good as ever. However, Alex Bregman has flailed and Jose Abreu simply looks done. Two months in, the Astros have still never gotten truly hot all season. The only reason they remain a factor in the AL West race is the division as a whole has been so disappointing. These are the Astros, and until that little "e" (for eliminated) pops up next to their line in the standings, you can't count them out. But it ain't looking good. -- Doolittle
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

Not an Astros fan, but I'll chime in. I was already drafting an analysis...
On this off day for the Rangers... and while waiting for the 3-1 Mavs to play tonight hoping they clinch... I thought I'd revisit this post from 6 weeks ago. Happy to hear an updated response from Astros fans that may.... or may not differ from your previous response:

I think we can check this box "Affirmed:"
Quote:

The 4 main issues I see:

Espada doesn't have the experience and wisdom to put together the team. As my boss (Cards fan) says about what he believes is a horrible manager in St.L "The manager manages egos not the lineup card. Any player can fill out the lineup card." Can Espada get everyone headed in the right direction? We'll see.
I think Astros fans have realized Espada isn't the right guy. And Astros fans will double-down that Baker wouldn't be any better. Lineup cards be damned.
-
Another "Confirmed?"
Quote:

Lack of depth. Limited prospects and players to draw from in their minors. Injuries are a part of the game. You have to prepare for it and if you don't the problem isn't injuries... it is your inability/unwillingness to prepare for them.
Both teams have had injuries. It is part of baseball. I think the Rangers have weathered the injuries better, so far and are about to get guys returning, although Semien may be an issue, now.
-
Too early?
Quote:

Yanier Diaz. Hitting to a Catcher is what filling out the lineup card is to a manager. I don't know Diaz, but you look at the P struggles and I have to believe he isn't handling the staff well. This may sound dumb, but the fact he is hitting well, likely tells you that he isn't spending enough time on the Pitchers. He has to study the hitters of the day along with the SP and 7+/- RPs and how each should approach the hitter. AND... he needs the P to have the trust in him.
His batting seems to have dropped... SP is still horrible. The one guy with good numbers got suspended for cheating.
-
Last check. "Confirmed?!"
Quote:

Team talent. I was rooting on the idea of Snell to the Astros and was elated Hader signed. Even more excited at $19M. Without the prospects and now having spent their load... The Astros are kinda stuck fixing things. I had said having Hader and Pressly would be meaningless if the Astros are behind in games.
Loperfido... Arrighetti?! Meanwhile Lorenzen has done well. Urena is a beast. We picked up some guy (Gaborito?!) from the Santiago City Men's League, in Chile... who hasn't been affiliated with a MLB/Japan/Korean team in 3 years. Probably washing cars.
-
I think this is still the real question:

Quote:

The big question for Astros fans is... Are Espada and Yanier the guys that can turn the team in the right direction?! If the fans are losing confidence, you can be assured those doubts will creep into the clubhouse. Was signing Hader to $19M a red flag to guys like Pressly, Tucker, and Bregman that it is time to move on?!

Quote:

If this team continues to struggle, you're likely going to see the trade deadline fire-sell.
Now, I'm not as sophisticated as many of the Elite Astros fans... I don't really get deep into the advanced metrics that the Astros fans have convinced themselves are important... but I do know... 1/3 into the season and the Astros are performing poorly, they don't have much in terms of players coming back from injury or joining from their minors... and they are budget-tight where they really aren't going to add from external.

This is where Astros fans start to exit the bandwagon... but from a sports perspective... Aggie Baseball is their only option. So, about 3-4 weeks and then it is Texans and Aggie Football.
DallasAg 94
The problem with that is... you can't compare the O's numbers for 2023 to the 1st third of 2024, when

Seager had surgery during the off-season.
March/April: 27G, .236 BA, 2HR, .319 OBP, .311 SLG
May: 24G, .289 BA, 11HR .393 OBP, .667 SLG

Lowe has missed half the season with an Oblique

Jung has 4GP due to a broken wrist.

We've also started the season with 2 Rookies in the lineup with the expectation they'd start slow and have learning challenges, but will pay off later in the season.

Bochy has brought the players along slowly which has been intentional after a long season and the many injuries players are coming back from.

Injuries are part of it and explain our W/L... but it also indicates that we need to let the games play out and extrapolate based on performance during the season, not collect a snapshot with limited data.

Our Offense will be fine and if necessary, we have the financial flexibility and prospect talent to correct an area of need.
The Porkchop Express
Well this is what I get for unignoring you. Thinking you could have a laugh about misery loving company, but instead getting a 300-word diatribe about why the Rangers aren't the sub-average team that their record indicates.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
DallasAg 94
Reading and comprehension is probably hard. I get it. Like most Astros fans you just want to be told what to think.

You can put me back on ignore and resume your self-flagellation.

Your mistake was to think there is misery among Rangers fans. Sure, the other Oilers beat the Stars to tie up the series at 2-2, but the Mavs could close out tonight.
The Porkchop Express
I was just looking for some levity and camaraderie between our two fan bases at a point where both are frustrated by the product on the field.

I'll take your word for it that hockey playoffs are occurring.
DallasAg 94
Ok.

Jeez... sucks to be a Rangers fan. Our O is terrible and fallen off the 2023 cliff. We need to send Carter and Langford to the IL.

Semien needs to be benched. He sucks. Smith is better at 2nd.

Our hitting coach needs to be fired. Bochy needs to be fired.

Our bullpen sucks. Maddux should be fired.

We are throwing trash SP that other teams didn't want. If not for our terrible opponents, we'd have half the wins we have now... what are we going to do when we face the good teams.

CYoung should be fired.

Better?!
The Porkchop Express
DallasAg 94 said:

Ok.

Jeez... sucks to be a Rangers fan. Our O is terrible and fallen off the 2023 cliff. We need to send Carter and Langford to the IL.

Semien needs to be benched. He sucks. Smith is better at 2nd.

Our hitting coach needs to be fired. Bochy needs to be fired.

Our bullpen sucks. Maddux should be fired.

We are throwing trash SP that other teams didn't want. If not for our terrible opponents, we'd have half the wins we have now... what are we going to do when we face the good teams.

CYoung should be fired.

Better?!
yeah, you've missed my point 3 straight times. Let's just go back to our separate cages.
DallasAg 94

Quote:

Well this is what I get for unignoring you. Thinking you could have a laugh about misery loving company, but instead getting a 300-word diatribe about why the Rangers aren't the sub-average team that their record indicates.
Quote:

I was just looking for some levity and camaraderie between our two fan bases at a point where both are frustrated by the product on the field.
Quote:

you've missed my point 3 straight times.

Look... I tried... Maybe it's just me.

I guess one of us misread the room. Probably me.
South Platte

I see you've met our version of Cliff Clavin. He will not be denied.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

On this off day for the Rangers... and while waiting for the 3-1 Mavs to play tonight hoping they clinch... I thought I'd revisit this post from 6 weeks ago. Happy to hear an updated response from Astros fans that may.... or may not differ from your previous response:

Quote:

The 4 main issues I see:

Espada doesn't have the experience and wisdom to put together the team. As my boss (Cards fan) says about what he believes is a horrible manager in St.L "The manager manages egos not the lineup card. Any player can fill out the lineup card." Can Espada get everyone headed in the right direction? We'll see.
I think Astros fans have realized Espada isn't the right guy. And Astros fans will double-down that Baker wouldn't be any better. Lineup cards be damned.
-
Another "Confirmed?"
Quote:

Lack of depth. Limited prospects and players to draw from in their minors. Injuries are a part of the game. You have to prepare for it and if you don't the problem isn't injuries... it is your inability/unwillingness to prepare for them.
Both teams have had injuries. It is part of baseball. I think the Rangers have weathered the injuries better, so far and are about to get guys returning, although Semien may be an issue, now.
-
Too early?
Quote:

Yanier Diaz. Hitting to a Catcher is what filling out the lineup card is to a manager. I don't know Diaz, but you look at the P struggles and I have to believe he isn't handling the staff well. This may sound dumb, but the fact he is hitting well, likely tells you that he isn't spending enough time on the Pitchers. He has to study the hitters of the day along with the SP and 7+/- RPs and how each should approach the hitter. AND... he needs the P to have the trust in him.
His batting seems to have dropped... SP is still horrible. The one guy with good numbers got suspended for cheating.
-
Quote:

Team talent. I was rooting on the idea of Snell to the Astros and was elated Hader signed. Even more excited at $19M. Without the prospects and now having spent their load... The Astros are kinda stuck fixing things. I had said having Hader and Pressly would be meaningless if the Astros are behind in games.
Loperfido... Arrighetti?! Meanwhile Lorenzen has done well. Urena is a beast. We picked up some guy (Gaborito?!) from the Santiago City Men's League, in Chile... who hasn't been affiliated with a MLB/Japan/Korean team in 3 years. Probably washing cars.
-

Quote:

The big question for Astros fans is... Are Espada and Yanier the guys that can turn the team in the right direction?! If the fans are losing confidence, you can be assured those doubts will creep into the clubhouse. Was signing Hader to $19M a red flag to guys like Pressly, Tucker, and Bregman that it is time to move on?!

Quote:

If this team continues to struggle, you're likely going to see the trade deadline fire-sell.
Now, I'm not as sophisticated as many of the Elite Astros fans... I don't really get deep into the advanced metrics that the Astros fans have convinced themselves are important... but I do know... 1/3 into the season and the Astros are performing poorly, they don't have much in terms of players coming back from injury or joining from their minors... and they are budget-tight where they really aren't going to add from external.

This is where Astros fans start to exit the bandwagon... but from a sports perspective... Aggie Baseball is their only option. So, about 3-4 weeks and then it is Texans and Aggie Football.
According to Astro board legend of yesteryears, isn't Maldy this over rated worthless loser who doesn't help the pitching staff and gets way too much credit because the pitchers love pitching to him for some " unknown reason"

Dusty was as blind as a bat. Seemed like he threw random darts at the wall to pick who to put in the lineup amd where.

Could it be possible that the Astros are missing both of these " hated" guys? Could it be a possibility that their impact on the team was more positive than folks realize?
Marvin
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Quote:

The 4 main issues I see:

-
Another "Confirmed?"
Quote:

-
Too early?
Quote:

-
Quote:

-

Quote:

Quote:

According to Astro board legend of yesteryears, isn't Maldy this over rated worthless loser who doesn't help the pitching staff and gets way too much credit because the pitchers love pitching to him for some " unknown reason"

Dusty was as blind as a bat. Seemed like he threw random darts at the wall to pick who to put in the lineup amd where.

Could it be possible that the Astros are missing both of these " hated" guys? Could it be a possibility that their impact on the team was more positive than folks realize?

No. Thanks for playing.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
The Porkchop Express
Congrats on making it back to the NBA finals. if there's one town I want to see fail more than Dallas, it's definitely Boston.

If the following photos of these heathen women of the night are too provocative for your Friday morning, let me know and I'll remove them.

One for fc212121241245125125125125 as well so I don't get accused of being bias.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.