Braves Thread

125,640 Views | 2104 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by PermianBasinAggie
yawny06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Scherzer has just flat out owned us the last three outings against him. Not getting anything at all going tonight at the plate and it is looking like he can get through 8 on this pitch count.

ETA: Yates comes in to pitch the 7th, and gives up a first pitch homer to Marte, his second of the night. 6-1 Mets. Seen crazier things happen, but gonna need a miracle tonight.

yawny06
AG
Scherzer, after striking out Olson to start the 7th and looking unhittable, walks Rosario, makes a bad throw to first allowing Contreras to reach, then walks Harris on four pitches.

Grissom gets a run home after a double play is overturned, and then Grossman puts one in the Chop House for a three run jack.

We got a ball game boys.

6-5, Mets still lead heading into the 8th.
yawny06
AG
Dylan Lee gets around a lead off double to keep the Mets off the board in the 8th.

Right Braves coming to the plate. Swanson, Riley, Olson.

ETA: Mets bring Diaz out in the 8th.
yawny06
AG
Jackson Stephens just completely ineffective in the 9th. 3 hits, 2 runs, 1 out.

Really would have rather seen Minter in there for that situation or even Jansen. Is what it is, but its 8-5 now, Mets in the 9th. We are bringing in the rookie for his MLB debut.
yawny06
AG
Horrid 9th inning.

Alonso steals on the first pitch for Tarnok. Next pitch is a double to Volgolbach.

9-5 Mets.
yawny06
AG
After scoring three times in the 9th, Buck sits Diaz for the bottom half. Some almost 4D chess there by Walt Wiess (Snit got ejected in the 3rd). Figured it might be easier to score 4 against May than 1 against Diaz. LOL

Got interesting in the bottom of the 9th. Brought the tying run to the plate twice. Acuna smoked one, but just did not get enough of it and ends the game.

Mets win, 9-7. Give them some credit. They fought hard to make it a game and it came mostly from the youngsters and the bottom half of the line up. Olson and Riley had off nights. Harris and Grissom are producing. Gotta love the team ball.

We get DeGrom tomorrow, but think we have to be patient and work his pitch count. Cannot have the 8-9 pitch innings we gave Scherzer tonight. Braves starter not yet announced, but would be shocked if Fried does not take the mound.
Propane & Accessories
AG
yawny06 said:

After scoring three times in the 9th, Buck sits Diaz for the bottom half. Some almost 4D chess there by Walt Wiess (Snit got ejected in the 3rd). Figured it might be easier to score 4 against May than 1 against Diaz. LOL

Got interesting in the bottom of the 9th. Brought the tying run to the plate twice. Acuna smoked one, but just did not get enough of it and ends the game.

Mets win, 9-7. Give them some credit. They fought hard to make it a game and it came mostly from the youngsters and the bottom half of the line up. Olson and Riley had off nights. Harris and Grissom are producing. Gotta love the team ball.

We get DeGrom tomorrow, but think we have to be patient and work his pitch count. Cannot have the 8-9 pitch innings we gave Scherzer tonight. Braves starter not yet announced, but would be shocked if Fried does not take the mound.
No I agree, the Braves fought hard and I was sweating that lead in the 9th (especially with May who is Jeckyle and Hyde right now), honestly, I've been humbled this is a good Braves team, I hope we don't do what the Giants and Dodgers did last year who wore each other out and entered October fatigued. Honestly I would love this to be a NLCS since it seems like whoever is the home team is going to kick butt or at least fight to the end.

Also with DeGrom on the mound, my Mets have a tendency to forget how to score runs.
Nitro Power
AG
Good post. The only thing I will add, is deGrom is not easy to be patient with. He throws hard, he throws strikes, and then the slider. What is a team supposed to do? Take a few pitches get down two strikes, then what do you do? I hear what you are saying and agree, but it's tough to do. Despite of what team he plays for, I hope you guys enjoy watching him pitch because he is truly a phenomenal talent. Remarkable story as well. You go from losing your starting SS position at Stetson -> "hey the only way you are going to play is maybe as a reliever" -> get drafted as a reliever-> make a spot start, with every plan to get sent back down (never happened) -> best pitcher on the planet.

ETA: Hope it either gets washed out, or played without delay, we cannot afford another short start, and any delay is almost assuredly going to lead to a short deGrom outing.
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
yawny06
AG
I could not believe it watching Scherzer basically have a complete melt down on the mound (at least by his standards). Dude was dealing then suddenly could not find the strike zone at all. I think both of his walks in the 7th were of the four-pitch variety. All of the damage came from the bottom half of the line up too.

That is one thing that makes this Braves team very difficult. There just is not a true soft spot in the lineup. That said, we are not going to win very many games giving someone like Scherzer a 4 to 5 run cushion. Odorizzi has been underwhelming, but if it means giving Wright and Strider some rest to preserve their arms for the fall, then it is worth it.

Snitker has come out and said that he is not deviating from his bullpen preservation plan, so that is why we saw Stephens in the 9th.

Fried takes the mound tonight. Should be an outstanding pitching matchup.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Final game will be on ESPN+ If any of you have that or if you have a trial
Nitro Power
AG
Any updates on the weather for tonight?
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
yawny06
AG
Helluva a major league baseball game!

Braves win 3-2!
toucan82
Good send by Ron Washington
Aggie1205
AG
Ozuna arrested for DUI early this morning. This could be the final straw.
yawny06
AG
Surprisingly, or not, he has not been in the lineup, and we have been winning.
Propane & Accessories
AG
Marcell Ozuna was arrested, and congrats on being the first NL East team to beat the Mets in a series. I hope we meet again in the NLCS.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
He's been one of the worst players in baseball for the last year or so. Maybe this will help them get out of his contract somehow.
Propane & Accessories
AG
I mean I figure you have a prospect that will bat .300 and hit 20 HR a year ready to replace him.
yawny06
AG
10 out of last 11 since that forgettable weekend in New York.

Riley does Riley things with a 3 run jack.

Kyle Wright looked great.

Will Smith finally had a solid inning at Truist Park since the All Star break.

McHugh with a lights out performance.

Jansen shuts it down. Braves win and pass the Yankees for the 4th best record in the league.
yawny06
AG
Great Major League Baseball game between two of the best teams in the league.

Bottom of the line up got it done for both in the 10th.

Astros score in the 11th without getting a hit.

Braves walk it off. That is two straight series wins against the top of the league. 11 of the last 12. Getting hot at the right time of year.
yawny06
AG
Somehow, Ozuna is playing today and is not the DH. Really don't even think he should be in the dugout. If you are going to play someone who can't hit, at least put Herridia out there. He can at least play defense.
78669AG
yawny06 said:

Somehow, Ozuna is playing today and is not the DH. Really don't even think he should be in the dugout. If you are going to play someone who can't hit, at least put Herridia out there. He can at least play defense.

Unfortunately they can't cut ties with Ozuna. Play him and hope his bat get hot for the playoff run like super Mario last year
If you can't handle the stress, log off until August. If you can handle the stress, be supportive and donate to United. No more buildings and concrete. Gotta channel funds to the collective for now.
yawny06
AG
I know they are gonna have to pay him, more of the principle of the matter of playing the guy.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Yesterday's game was weird. Ozuna, legal issues aside, has been completely useless at the plate. He's one of the very worst hitters in baseball. There's no reason for him to be in the lineup anymore. I kind of understand, as a manager, that if you have an active player in your roster that the front office refuses to get rid of, you have to find him some at bats every once in a while just to keep him engaged and hopefully he finds something. But he's a complete liability, so hopefully the Alex makes the hard decision and they cut bait soon.

Furthermore, going to Dylan Lee in the 8th was a weird decision. He's been mostly good this year, but never in late game high-leverage situations. It just seemed like a game that they were not going to go all out for the W. Bullpen preservation was more important, I guess.
Ag_07
AG
You guys have a helluva team. Just well rounded and dangerous in every aspect. Astros have played a handful of top teams this season and I came away most impressed by the Braves.

Here's hoping we see a rematch come October.
yawny06
AG
Agree with Dylan Lee. He has been good.

He has not been good against the Astros, going back to the World Series last year and in the 10th inning Saturday.

Would have preferred to see McHugh yesterday.

Ozuna needs to be paid and then released. He is adding nothing right now.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Ag_07 said:

You guys have a helluva team. Just well rounded and dangerous in every aspect. Astros have played a handful of top teams this season and I came away most impressed by the Braves.

Here's hoping we see a rematch come October.

It was definitely a heavyweight series, and could easily be a repeat World Series matchup. What struck me is how these are both really good lineups, but the pitching was great and made the hittera look ordinary.

I would say the Astros are more likely to make it back to the WS at this point, just because the NL gauntlet is so much tougher. The Braves are a great team, but the likely path is to beat the Phillies, Dodgers and Mets. That's scary.
yawny06
AG
Odorizzi had a solid outing. Bats did not, but the young guys did just enough to get a 2-1 win.

Minter, Iglesias, and Jansen all looked great tonight.

Yankees beat the Mets. Braves gain a game back.
Aggie1205
AG
Maybe we need every game of Odo's to be a rain delay. He seems to thrive.
yawny06
AG
Braves trounce Brubaker with a 5 run 5th inning, which started with a first pitch homer from Travis, followed by five more hits. Bottom of the lineup continues to produce.

What was even more crazy about that inning…Brubaker completed the inning with only 20 pitches. So, he gave up 5 runs and got 3 outs in an efficient manner.

Max Fried has 76 pitches through 7 innings of 2 hit, 1 run ball. Gave up a solo shot early, then retired 16 straight before a oppo bloop ended his streak. He then promptly retired the next batter.

6-1 Braves in the 8th.

yawny06
AG
Mets lose. Braves back to within 2 games.
yawny06
AG
Quote:

Looking at the seventh, eighth and ninth spots of the lineup, the Braves lead the Majors in home runs (66), runs (203) and RBIs (196) from those batting order positions. The Dodgers rank second in each category. But they had 20 fewer homers, five fewer runs scored and 24 fewer RBIs from these spots of their order when Atlanta wrapped up its latest victory.
yawny06
AG
Kyle Wright gave up his first hit today in the 3rd. It was a 122.4 mph rocket off the bat of Oneil Cruz. He hit it so hard that by the time it bounced off the wall and into Acuna's hand, he had barely made it to first base. Hardest recorded hit ball in the statcast era.

Oh yea, and the Braves capitalized would have been an inning ending ground ball turned error into 5 runs in the top of the 4th.

7-0 Braves in the 4th inning.
Aggie1205
AG
Same score going to the bottom of the 6th.
PermianBasinAggie
AG
Wright is cruising. Only 73 pitches through 7 innings. I know it's just Pittsburgh, but that's crazy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.