***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

237,158 Views | 5281 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Grapesoda2525
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So frustrating to lose that game. Short turnaround for game 5 too.
Also made it hard to really even get to watch or enjoy the Stars game, unforgivable.
Infection_Ag11
AG
shack009 said:

They also just won a game by 4 points where Luka and Kyrie scored 27 total points.

I appreciate your approach to analyzing the game, but sometimes just watching helps too. We are better than them.

But Luka has looked similarly not himself (to put it kindly) for two weeks now, and Kyrie being too passive has really been an on and off issue since he got here. Both can be classified as trends at this point. Especially with respect to Luka, who I think we have to all accept is what he this postseason at this point. He can be less bad than he was tonight but he's not going to be mid season Luka until next year.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Falcon74
AG
You can analyze that game all you want… And I would probably not my head and agree with everything you say… But 50% versus 95% wins every single time
walton91
zgolfz85
AG
Woke up hoping that was a bad dream last night
Proposition Joe
Yeah, there's little doubt Luka is banged up, but he absolutely amplifies the theatrics. Wouldn't be a big deal but in doing so he... I'd say routinely... surrenders defensive position.

And if it was getting him calls maybe you could say doing so is a net positive, but from what I've watched he's not getting any love from the refs.
zgolfz85
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Yeah, there's little doubt Luka is banged up, but he absolutely amplifies the theatrics. Wouldn't be a big deal but in doing so he... I'd say routinely... surrenders defensive position.

And if it was getting him calls maybe you could say doing so is a net positive, but from what I've watched he's not getting any love from the refs.
and makes him hateable outside of Dallas. It really hurts his marketability. He'll be fine of course, but I hope he matures past that garbage.
PatAg
AG
Why would you care about his marketbality at all? Is that going to help us win a title?

Completely agree about anything on court when it comes to negatively impacting plays, and that he needs to at least complain less and especially not stop during an active play. (or at least do it WAY less, so that way when you DO complain the refs might be impacted by it)

If it results in quitting on a play thats bad
zgolfz85
AG
PatAg said:

Why would you care about his marketbality at all? Is that going to help us win a title?

Completely agree about anything on court when it comes to negatively impacting plays, and that he needs to at least complain less and especially not stop during an active play. (or at least do it WAY less, so that way when you DO complain the refs might be impacted by it)

I don't care about it...just shocked that he seemingly doesn't. The fact that it hurts the team is a given...guaranteed it pisses off the team. So, for team reasons and his own selfish/personal reasons, makes no sense at all.
M.C. Swag
AG
Ugh. Missed free throws and our stars vomiting on their feet cost us this game.

The role players stepped up and did their job. The defense was stifling. Lively and Gafford are executing their role and shutting off almost every attempt at the rim. Lively had 4 blocks. Gaff had 3 blocks. And the Mavs outscored the Thunder in the paint 40-28. But....

Luka and Kyrie sucked. Luka especially was just infuriating. He played such good defense for like 90% of the game and then proceeded to have a public meltdown because he wasn't making shots and wasn't getting every call. Truly embarrassing. I can't describe how hard it is to be in the arena and watch Luka's body language suck the energy from the team. He pouts, whines, takes himself out of plays and talks more to the refs than his own team. On one of his turnovers, he drove into the paint and blindly threw it backwards straight into Cason Wallace's chest which led to an open transition 3 and Luka actually YELLED AT TIM. It's the worst version of Luka.

Kyrie at least had a method to his madness and does what he always does by facilitating in the 1st half. Which was a decent proposition when we're up by 8 with our defense playing like it was....but when it came time to "turn it on", he had nothing to turn to. In the 4th quarter, OKC started blitzing Luka and Kyrie and both of them acted like they'd never seen a double team before.

Lol and I STILL don't understand what Dageinault is doing playing Giddey. The Thunder likely win this series in 5 or 6 if Giddey never plays. Hope the "Coach of the Year' continues to make that dumb decision.
PatAg
AG
zgolfz85 said:

PatAg said:

I don't care about it...just shocked that he seemingly doesn't. The fact that it hurts the team is a given...guaranteed it pisses off the team. So, for team reasons and his own selfish/personal reasons, makes no sense at all.
He doesnt even have to completely stop complaining, he just needs more self control.
nbbob
Proposition Joe said:

He got some love on the drive where he slipped that resulted in him missing the first ft with 10 seconds left.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Good post. I analogize playing with (and watching) Luka to playing in a golf tournament with a buddy who constantly gripes, complains, gets angry, etc about EVERYTHING. It's a ****ing beating to to play with a buddy like that even if he's playing well bc he's still zapping all the fun out of it. And then when things turn, which they always will at some point, it's just unbearable. He goes downhill quickly and makes the mood/atmosphere terrible for all around him.

Luka has that affect to me watching him. He honestly zaps some of the enjoyment out of the game bc I just get so frustrated with his complaining and antics. It seems like it would definitely frustrate the other players, especially when he's *****ing at them or the refs when he's clearly at fault. I know they usually seem to have good chemistry so I assume Luka is cool off the court and maybe that's enough to not let the on the court stuff bother the other players. But it's a major leak in my opinion.

It's like Luka is ocd or has a tick and his tick is that he literally has to look at and complain tot he ref every single play. He does it every play, whether he makes the shot or misses the shot, and whether he was possibly fouled or where there was nothing close to resembling a foul.

I play golf for fun, so I don't want someone dragging down the mood even if we aren't playing well. It's still better than being in the office. I also watch the mavs for fun. And it's not fun watching Luka whine and complain every play. Really wish he'd stop.
PatAg
AG
nbbob said:

Proposition Joe said:

He got some love on the drive where he slipped that resulted in him missing the first ft with 10 seconds left.
The drive where Dort kicked out his plant leg from behind?
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Good post. I analogize playing with (and watching) Luka to playing in a golf tournament with a buddy who constantly gripes, complains, gets angry, etc about EVERYTHING. It's a ****ing beating to to play with a buddy like that even if he's playing well bc he's still zapping all the fun out of it. And then when things turn, which they always will at some point, it's just unbearable. He goes downhill quickly and makes the mood/atmosphere terrible for all around him.

Luka has that affect to me watching him. He honestly zaps some of the enjoyment out of the game bc I just get so frustrated with his complaining and antics. It seems like it would definitely frustrate the other players, especially when he's *****ing at them or the refs when he's clearly at fault. I know they usually seem to have good chemistry so I assume Luka is cool off the court and maybe that's enough to not let the on the court stuff bother the other players. But it's a major leak in my opinion.

It's like Luka is ocd or has a tick and his tick is that he literally has to look at and complain tot he ref every single play. He does it every play, whether he makes the shot or misses the shot, and whether he was possibly fouled or where there was nothing close to resembling a foul.

I play golf for fun, so I don't want someone dragging down the mood even if we aren't playing well. It's still better than being in the office. I also watch the mavs for fun. And it's not fun watching Luka whine and complain every play. Really wish he'd stop.
At least its really enjoyable to read people's complaints every time Luka complains in game.
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Lol and I STILL don't understand what Dageinault is doing playing Giddey. The Thunder likely win this series in 5 or 6 if Giddey never plays. Hope the "Coach of the Year' continues to make that dumb decision.
Looked like he figured it out in the second half. I don't have the actual minutes available, but I don't think Giddey started the 2nd half and he only came in one time and it wasn't for very long. Somehow, Giddey was +6 last night, which was tied for best on the team with Arkansas J Will. So that's weird lol.
zgolfz85
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Perfect analogy. Many a golfer gets dumped from their regular golf group for this reason. No amount of high fiving when things are going well undoes the endless barrage of negative vibes that type of golfer gives off. Luka needs therapy. He's 25 going on 7 yr old chubby *****.
shack009
AG
Luka also had some really really good defensive possessions. He doesn't look injured or play up the injury on that end. It's only on the offensive end when something doesn't go his way that he shows his booboo.

The good news is that everytime he had one of these stinker games in the last series he came out in the next game more aggressive and getting downhill and in to the paint.
EastSideAg2002
I cant really stand Luka's complaining either. Its a huge turnoff for me in watching him. Its probably really amping him up this series in the fact that Dort can have his way with him but if SGA gets breathed on, hes going to the line.
shack009
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

I cant really stand Luka's complaining either. Its a huge turnoff for me in watching him. Its probably really amping him up this series in the fact that Dort can have his way with him but if SGA gets breathed on, hes going to the line.
Something funny that has happened a couple times this series is Dort will finally get called for getting a little too handsy and then he will complain to the referee saying that shouldn't have been a foul because he's been doing that same thing all game.

Like yeah we all know you've been doing it all game, it just should have been called much earlier and much more often.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That was definitely the case on the late Luka foul. Dort was grabbing him before Luka even had the ball, while he had the ball, and then when Luka finally goes down and gets the whistle, Dort is like "wtf?"
shack009
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

That was definitely the case on the late Luka foul. Dort was grabbing him before Luka even had the ball, while he had the ball, and then when Luka finally goes down and gets the whistle, Dort is like "wtf?"
Yeah Dort had both arms around Luka before the ball was even inbounded. Josh Green got called for extremely minimal contact during an inbounds play I think in the 3rd quarter, but if you're Dort, you are allowed to do whatever and whenever.

Dort has fouled out of one game and I think has 5 fouls in the other three games. Ironically, Luka is playing poorly because he's trying to get Dort to foul out of the game. If Luka would just play his game and keep attacking downhill instead of trying to get fouls on Dort, his game would have been much better.
PatAg
AG
shack009 said:

Luka also had some really really good defensive possessions. He doesn't look injured or play up the injury on that end. It's only on the offensive end when something doesn't go his way that he shows his booboo.

The good news is that everytime he had one of these stinker games in the last series he came out in the next game more aggressive and getting downhill and in to the paint.
I think where it most shows up is scenarios where he has to react in the moment and quickly move. When he is defending one on one, or has the ball on offense, he essentially knows where he is moving.

When it is something like a random bounce off the rim, or a deflection, he has no ability to plant and go after it. He did in the regular season, which is part of why he gets so many rebounds and steals. There's been a lot of times where he would be posted up in an area for a rebound, and if it takes a weird bounce he is just stuck watching.
Which, in my experience, tracks with certain kinds of leg injuries where you either just dont trust it or you just dont have the strength to do it.

I'm sure we will know more in the offseason.
shack009
AG
Random topic for discussion on an off day: What value does O-Max bring to the Mavs? This has been on my mind because I have noticed that he has been listed as "out" on all the injury reports for the games, even though he played in the final 2 of the regular season. Not that I was expecting him to play this postseason, it has just always caught my eye.

He averaged 18.3 PPG in the G League on 12.5 FGA and he shot 42.5% from 3 on 5.3 3PA (shot 57% from 2). I know nobody plays defense in the G League, but that 3P% is really encouraging.

Is he a guy that can develop and heavily contribute to the team in the future? Seems like he plays the same position as PJ. This team's identity is now that we are a big team with 2 centers who can play 48 minutes. Not sure there is room for an OMax-PJ small ball frontcourt. So do you keep him to be PJ's backup for small stretches and as depth/insurance in case of PJ injury? Maybe there are times in the regular season where PJ and OMax as your frontcourt will be necessary.

Do you feel comfortable with him being able to take all of the Maxi minutes to make Maxi available for trade?

Does he have value to other young teams as a trade piece? Does he add value in a THJ+picks trade?

Just some stuff I have been thinking about. Either way, more props to the front office for taking on the Richaun Holmes contract and taking a FRP off of Sacramento's hands and drafting OMax, because we have many options with him.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

Random topic for discussion on an off day: What value does O-Max bring to the Mavs? This has been on my mind because I have noticed that he has been listed as "out" on all the injury reports for the games, even though he played in the final 2 of the regular season. Not that I was expecting him to play this postseason, it has just always caught my eye.

He averaged 18.3 PPG in the G League on 12.5 FGA and he shot 42.5% from 3 on 5.3 3PA (shot 57% from 2). I know nobody plays defense in the G League, but that 3P% is really encouraging.

Is he a guy that can develop and heavily contribute to the team in the future? Seems like he plays the same position as PJ. This team's identity is now that we are a big team with 2 centers who can play 48 minutes. Not sure there is room for an OMax-PJ small ball frontcourt. So do you keep him to be PJ's backup for small stretches and as depth/insurance in case of PJ injury? Maybe there are times in the regular season where PJ and OMax as your frontcourt will be necessary.

Do you feel comfortable with him being able to take all of the Maxi minutes to make Maxi available for trade?

Does he have value to other young teams as a trade piece? Does he add value in a THJ+picks trade?

Just some stuff I have been thinking about. Either way, more props to the front office for taking on the Richaun Holmes contract and taking a FRP off of Sacramento's hands and drafting OMax, because we have many options with him.

Good question. I don't know if j Kidd is a develop young talent kind of coach. The most glaring exhibit being Hardy. That kid can get any shot he wants and yet 2 years later is still a garbage time only player?! This especially when at points in the season we couldn't buy offense…not our problem lately, but man, just sucks knowing we have that kid wasting away on the bench while THJ gets major minutes
shack009
AG
It's still only year 2 for Hardy, and ideally he steps in to the scorer off the bench role for this team after we offload THJ. The problem is that this team, as constructed, doesn't really need a 6th man scorer-only type. And Hardy wants to come in and dominate the game offensively, which would take shots away from Luka/Kyrie. I think Hardy is good to have if Kyrie and or Luka have to miss games, but he's probably not ready for the big time just yet. He's also several inches shorter than THJ, so while they both may be bad defenders, at least THJ takes up more room, theoretically.

O Max has certain traits that are appealing, especially appealing to J Kidd, but he may not fit in this team in the short term. If he develops a good 3 point shot then he is a guy Kidd would love to give minutes.

Kidd loves defense, which makes his infatuation with THJ so confounding.
jeffdjohnson
I don't think Luka's knee sprain is solely the reason for his poor play. He is moving around OK out there. Yes, maybe it physically hurts him, but he is still out there and still mobile enough. I think mentally he is letting all of the circumstances surrounding these playoffs (his injury, the physicality of the opponents, fewer foul calls by the refs, missing some of these floaters around the rim) just get in his head.

I mean his floater game has been a god tier shot his whole career and he can't even get that to go down, let alone the step back. I don't see Dort or OKC doing anything better than what other teams have thrown at him, he is just missing in this series and the whole playoffs. I guess we'll see soon enough if he can pull through this. I don't think the Mavericks can win the series without Luka being the best player on the court. Forget SGA even, Luka hasn't been the best player on the Mavs behind PJ and Kyrie.
PatAg
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

I don't think Luka's knee sprain is solely the reason for his poor play. He is moving around OK out there. Yes, maybe it physically hurts him, but he is still out there and still mobile enough. I think mentally he is letting all of the circumstances surrounding these playoffs (his injury, the physicality of the opponents, fewer foul calls by the refs, missing some of these floaters around the rim) just get in his head.

I mean his floater game has been a god tier shot his whole career and he can't even get that to go down, let alone the step back. I don't see Dort or OKC doing anything better than what other teams have thrown at him, he is just missing in this series and the whole playoffs. I guess we'll see soon enough if he can pull through this. I don't think the Mavericks can win the series without Luka being the best player on the court. Forget SGA even, Luka hasn't been the best player on the Mavs behind PJ and Kyrie.
Those are both things that would be impacted by a knee injury.
It is possible that he is also just in a slump combined with the injury.
Like you said, he is missing an awful lot of relatively easy shots in the paint/midrange that it doesnt seem like an injury would impact like it would a 3 pt shot.
If this is the Luka we are getting, then Kyrie absolutely has to start doing more than he already is he to compensate.
shack009
AG
In my opinion, it's because he isn't getting near as much separation as he would in the regular season, because he wants Dort on his hip to try to draw a foul. He just needs to get Dort out of his head and attack downhill off the 1-5 PNR and either get a decent floater or lob it to the big. They have stopped helping off PJ in the corner, so those shots are there.
PatAg
AG
We're all expecting OKC to come out and try to bury us in an avalanche of 3s in the first quarter, right?
M.C. Swag
AG
shack009 said:

I love OMax. He's HUGE. 6'8 with shoes and a 7'1 wingspan (same size as PJ). He has great lateral mobility and has shown pretty great signs of life on that 3pt shot and if that's sustainable he can easily play the 3 or the 4 next to PJ or Kleber.

I personally think OMax is untouchable unless it nets the Mavs a clear upgrade at the wing position.
Guitarsoup
AG
OMax is probably a top 10 pick in this draft. For sure above Ron Holland
shack009
AG
I really like him too and think he has big upside potential. But does he fit in to this team right now? Is it just wrong place wrong time for him? If Kidd isn't going to play him, then is he more valuable as a trade piece to help us win next season?

I think O Max is going to get the keys to the Summer League car here in a couple months.
M.C. Swag
AG
I fully expect him to have a full time spot in the rotation next year
shack009
AG
M.C. Swag said:

I fully expect him to have a full time spot in the rotation next year
I hope you're right. We still have moves to make this offseason, so who knows what this team's roster looks like by the start of next season or after the trade deadline. Hope both Hardy and OMax are pieces for us next year.
First Page Last Page
Page 90 of 151

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.