Mexico vs Brazil

17,749 Views | 127 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by jessexy
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12 said:

Rudyjax said:

BQ_90 said:

so why did they play that game if the fans where too close to the action? but its not like stuff like that hasn't happened at any college or NFL game. Hell we had worse than that throw at the FTAB at LSU and at tech
Are you asking me that question?

I honestly don't want Mexican soccer fans any where near Kyle.

Anything under 30 yards is too close.

Agreed. Mexico games need to be played in stadiums that have tracks around the field
And/or cages

(ETA quote - stupid page turn)
tejas_ayanem
Rudyjax said:

BQ_90 said:

so why did they play that game if the fans where too close to the action? but its not like stuff like that hasn't happened at any college or NFL game. Hell we had worse than that throw at the FTAB at LSU and at tech

We are there most Saturdays in the fall.
Rudyjax
AG
tejas_ayanem said:

Rudyjax said:

BQ_90 said:

We are there most Saturdays in the fall.

But if you're an Aggie you know how to behave. More than likely.
BQ_90
AG
official

Quote:

BRYAN-COLLEGE STATION Texas A&M's Kyle Field is set to make history this summer as the men's national soccer teams for Mexico and Brazil will face off on June 8 at the historic venue.

The match will mark the first-ever international soccer event at Kyle Field when the two global powerhouses play in an exhibition friendly as both squads prepare for the 2024 CONMEBOL Copa America tournament that will be played in the United States starting June 20.

With Kyle Field's capacity of 102,733, the match has the potential to break the current record for a Mexico men's soccer match in the United States, which was previously set in 2010 at the Rose Bowl Pasadena.

Tickets will go on-sale for the public on April 5 at 10 a.m. CT.

ABOUT KYLE FIELD
Texas A&M's Kyle Field has been the home of the Aggie football team since 1905. Over a two-year span (2014-15), Kyle Field underwent one of the largest and most extensive re-development projects in the history of collegiate athletics.

The redeveloped Kyle Field features an expanded seating capacity of 102,733, making it one of the five largest stadiums in collegiate football. The $485 million re-development was completed in two phases and made its debut for the 2015 season. The Aggies have welcomed more than 100,000 fans per contest to Kyle Field since the start of the 2014 season, including the stadium record of 110,633 for the Ole Miss game on Oct. 11, 2014.

WHAT THEY ARE SAYING
Statement from Texas A&M University President Mark A. Welsh III
"Kyle Field a beacon of collegiate sporting excellence is more than a football stadium. It's a special place where memories are made and legends are born. It creates an electric atmosphere that fuels players and fans alike. We in Aggieland are ready to welcome the Brazil and Mexico teams and their fans with a warm 'Howdy!' this summer for what promises to be an unforgettable experience for all."

Statement from Texas A&M Interim Athletics Director R.C. Slocum
"This is outstanding news for Texas A&M University. We are excited to host this international event. It is my hope that we can establish a record-setting crowd to watch this exciting soccer match at Kyle Field."
wangus12
AG
Hell yeah
Agthatbuilds
Any guess on ticket prices?
plain_o_llama
Given the timing of this, any idea whether they will roll out the A, B, or C teams?
Juan Solo
AG
it's a Copa America prep game so probably close to an A squad on both ends?
wangus12
AG
Lol a couple of my Ol Ag friends are are already complaining because soccer fans will destroy the sanctity of Kyle Field
Critterchic08
Koko Chingo
AG
wangus12 said:

Lol a couple of my Ol Ag friends are are already complaining because soccer fans will destroy the sanctity of Kyle Field
I have heard the same from some of my friends. After they complain, I tell them they are thinking of rowdy German, English, and Spanish fans.

I then ask them to think about fans for Mexico and Brazil who will be sitting in a hot 90+ degree stadium especially the female fans.

Then they ask where they can get tickets and if we are tailgating, lol.
wangus12
AG
Nah the ones they're complaining about are the Mexican fans that throw trash and drinks at players on the pitch and bags of piss at fans
Rudyjax
AG
Wrong thread.
deadbq03
AG
Or maybe it's the riot two years ago that was so bad it put World Cup hosting in jeopardy, according to the Liga MX president.

Honestly, I'd be leery of having 90k+ non-Aggie fans of any variety at Kyle for a night game. When 5k away fans show up to a football game, they tend to behave themselves because they're overwhelmingly outnumbered.

Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but when the script is flipped and it's 5k Aggies (at best) and 90k other fans of any variety, it's gonna be a recipe for vandalism, destruction of property, and possibly violence because they have no respect for the venue and young males are just naturally inclined to do dumb things.

Make it 90k fans who already have a reputation for doing crappy things at games, and it's the perfect storm IMO.

Good luck to all who choose to go, and I genuinely hope I'm wrong.
Rudyjax
AG
I think it's going to be a disaster. And the egress of the stadium is going to be bad.

I hope I'm wrong.
Rudyjax
AG
Imagine keeping people of the MSC grass or hats off in the MSC.

Agthatbuilds
Put up some rope around the grass.

The hats, well...
Mathguy64
AG
"But officer. The piss IS in a clear bag."
Rudyjax
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Put up some rope around the grass.

The hats, well...

More worried about our the egress.
Mathguy64
AG
O/U on the number of laser pointers confiscated - 50.5
O/U on the number of laser pointers not confiscated - 49.5

O/U on the number of flares confiscated - 9.5
O/U on the number of flares lit - 5.5

O/U on the number of bags of urine thrown - 2.5

O/U on number of homophobic chants - 9.5
Furlock Bones
AG
Rudyjax said:

I think it's going to be a disaster. And the egress of the stadium is going to be bad.

I hope I'm wrong.

I had not thought about. You're right. Drunk lll trash fans and drunk samba fans crammed together trying to get out of Kyle is going to be a disaster.
Krazykat
AG
Think I will go to this with a buddy who is a big international soccer fan. I haven't seen a soccer game at this level, so it will be a first for me.
Juan Solo
AG
Are you part of the clean up crew?
randy828
AG
You know, I am not in any way a fan of mexico or their fans, but I went to the game at Reliant stadium in 2003, the year after we beat them in 2002 World Cup. It was a great atmosphere and a great game (0-0) in my opinion.

No problem with any of the fans and I was surrounded by mexican fans. We talked about the changes the mexican team was going through since we had knocked them out. I was sitting down near the field in one corner and was right there when a very young Freddy Adu walked out of the tunnel (he wasn't playing for USA yet, but I think it had just been announced that he had decided to play for USA instead of whatever African nation he could have chosen).

Hopefully this crowd can be like that one. I would consider that this is not really a rivalry game like USA vs mexico, so the crowd would be better behaved.

Go BRASIL!!!!
jeffk
AG
Some of this hand-wringing is ridiculous. It's an international friendly. No one is lighting the MSC grass on fire or defecating on Sully. Will there be trash on the ground? Absolutely. But I've seen the mess left after Aggie tailgates. Also, soccer is far less destructive on a playing surface than football is.
deadbq03
AG
Hope you're right.

There's a lot of BS that Aggies are willing to tolerate to experience Gameday at Kyle. Paying premium prices for bad traffic flow, bad parking, bad concessions, mediocre hotels or a long drive home, etc.

I agree that the "sanctity of Kyle" is a dumb thing to be worried about. But I do think that frustrated drunk people who don't care about our campus are gonna do things we don't see on normal gamedays during their long walk from Kyle to Zachary or whatever other God-forsaken parking lot they're in. I'd be concerned if that were any group of non-Aggies who don't have an inherent respect for the campus and a willingness to put up with its idiosyncrasies.

At the risk of opening a huge can of worms, I'll gently suggest that there will also be a decent amount of folks coming who have political/economic/social frustrations… and that could lead to not just a neutral/apathetic attitude to our campus like I'm describing above, but latent hostility. I'll hope that y'all can see that might be true without having this devolve into a debate about the merits of those differing views, and while recognizing that people of all walks of life do dumb stuff when they're frustrated and in mass numbers.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, and I probably am - but I do think there are risks with this event that we don't see on normal Gamedays.
Juan Solo
AG

Maroon Out Kyle Field!!
jt2hunt
AG
Any clue as to whether will be a day or night game?
ag_03_aj
AG
I hope night because we want to tailgate. If it is a day game one would assume it would be early to fight the heat.
Unemployed
AG
deadbq03 said:

Hope you're right.

There's a lot of BS that Aggies are willing to tolerate to experience Gameday at Kyle. Paying premium prices for bad traffic flow, bad parking, bad concessions, mediocre hotels or a long drive home, etc.

I agree that the "sanctity of Kyle" is a dumb thing to be worried about. But I do think that frustrated drunk people who don't care about our campus are gonna do things we don't see on normal gamedays during their long walk from Kyle to Zachary or whatever other God-forsaken parking lot they're in. I'd be concerned if that were any group of non-Aggies who don't have an inherent respect for the campus and a willingness to put up with its idiosyncrasies.

At the risk of opening a huge can of worms, I'll gently suggest that there will also be a decent amount of folks coming who have political/economic/social frustrations… and that could lead to not just a neutral/apathetic attitude to our campus like I'm describing above, but latent hostility. I'll hope that y'all can see that might be true without having this devolve into a debate about the merits of those differing views, and while recognizing that people of all walks of life do dumb stuff when they're frustrated and in mass numbers.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, and I probably am - but I do think there are risks with this event that we don't see on normal Gamedays.
Everything is going to be all right, man. Just chill and enjoy life.
hsjnlssmith89
AG
Any clue from anyone on how much tickets will sell for?

Go Brasil!!
txagpapi
AG
jt2hunt said:

Any clue as to whether will be a day or night game?
speculation would be night game as it would draw more ppl in, gotta wait and see until April 5th though
Rudyjax
AG
Rudyjax said:

I don't think Kyle Field is wide enough.

They'd have to use all the grass, and it still would be narrow. Which is ok. My concern is that the field is really close to the stands and Mexican fans have never gotten excited and thrown things on the pitch before.

Here's North Texas FC playing with the football lines. Pitch is going to be narrow.

oldschool87
AG
I looked up the dimensions a few World Cups ago as I thought dang that field looks big. International Soccer/World Cup has a standard field size of 120X75 yards. With Minimums of 110/70which I don't think we can make at least on width.

FiFA can be much smaller on width.

Best I can tell, we have 53+8 for 61 yards of grass. If they cover the sides with Astroturf, heck, they may just bring grass in and cover the whole thing. We can get to 68, I think your pushing it past that... Surely this was discussed with the 2 teams...

There will not be football strips on the field, the only thing striped will be the soccer field...

Rudyjax
AG
oldschool87 said:

I looked up the dimensions a few World Cups ago as I thought dang that field looks big. International Soccer/World Cup has a standard field size of 120X75 yards. With Minimums of 110/70which I don't think we can make at least on width.

FiFA can be much smaller on width.

Best I can tell, we have 53+8 for 61 yards of grass. If they cover the sides with Astroturf, heck, they may just bring grass in and cover the whole thing. We can get to 68, I think your pushing it past that... Surely this was discussed with the 2 teams...

There will not be football strips on the field, the only thing striped will be the soccer field...

It's a friendly. It's going to be narrow AF.

Here's a screenshot on a football field i took the other night.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.