My least favorite thing about high school soccer…

25,136 Views | 414 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Ghost of Andrew Eaton
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow. I've been on both sides of that before.
LeonardSkinner
I'm not sure if this is just a Florida thing, or if it's more nationwide, but for our past high school season, there was an emphasis placed on no disagreement of any kind with the referees. Taken to an extreme, if a coach took any kind of action that expressed displeasure, then it be a caution right there.

When I officiated, I wasn't a *****.

I "asked for clarification" a couple of times, and managed to stay out of the book. But come the next rules meeting, I'm calling them out.
agsalaska
AG
LeonardSkinner said:

I'm not sure if this is just a Florida thing, or if it's more nationwide, but for our past high school season, there was an emphasis placed on no disagreement of any kind with the referees. Taken to an extreme, if a coach took any kind of action that expressed displeasure, then it be a caution right there.

I "asked for clarification" a couple of times, and managed to stay out of the book. But come the next rules meeting, I'm calling them out.

You can see that mindset a little bit on this thread. The idea that dissent is not only wrong but punishable. It is dishonest for a ref not to allow some dissent.

I remember several years ago watching some random CONCACAF game where an MLS team was down in Central America and they drew some notorious local ref who took it to the extreme. Pretty sure it was Landon Donovan that finally tested him about 20 minutes in and he was immediately carded. That type of officiating really sucks the life out of a soccer game.

This has been a great TexAgs thread by the way.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
jessexy
AG
agsalaska said:

LeonardSkinner said:

You can see that mindset a little bit on this thread. The idea that dissent is not only wrong but punishable. It is dishonest for a ref not to allow some dissent.

I remember several years ago watching some random CONCACAF game where an MLS team was down in Central America and they drew some notorious local ref who took it to the extreme. Pretty sure it was Landon Donovan that finally tested him about 20 minutes in and he was immediately carded. That type of officiating really sucks the life out of a soccer game.

This has been a great TexAgs thread by the way.

I think it makes the game way better when the coach is coaching his team rather than yelling at the refer. I think the game is waaaaaaaaaaaay better when the players are competing against each other and trying to score goals instead of whining to the referee.
Rudyjax
AG
My favorite tonight at a 6A bi-district boys game I was at. Attacker was pulling the defenders shirt, and kicked him in the foot. Defender won the ball and started a counter. Crowd is going nuts calling for a foul.

Referee did the right thing not calling the foul until he lost advantage.

Did they really want him to call a foul and have a free kick on deep inside the box or let the play play out?

agsalaska
AG
OK. Well. Thats not at all what I meant. Of course that is true.

Games are also waaaaaaaaay better with competent referees.

Nothing worse than a bad ref who is quick to card to shut everyone up about the fact that he is a bad ref.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
the_phoenix612
AG
Sometimes it's just silly. I had my bi-district center on a 6A boys game Monday. 20 minutes in, I got hit by a cross-field ball played twenty yards behind the open man (with two better options available on the right side of the field).

When I tell you I've never been booed louder by a crowd for anything in my life... but I block this mis-hit cross into an unpredicted area and you'd think I slapped a player at midfield!
Rudyjax
AG
the_phoenix612 said:

Sometimes it's just silly. I had my bi-district center on a 6A boys game Monday. 20 minutes in, I got hit by a cross-field ball played twenty yards behind the open man (with two better options available on the right side of the field).

When I tell you I've never been booed louder by a crowd for anything in my life... but I block this mis-hit cross into an unpredicted area and you'd think I slapped a player at midfield!
You couldn't move fatty?

Kidding.
the_phoenix612
AG
Rudyjax said:

the_phoenix612 said:

You couldn't move fatty?

Kidding.
LOL!

My Garmin told me I ran 6.89 miles so you can assess my level of hustle for yourself. That field was wiiiiiiiiiiide!
Wrighty
AG
I'm a big fan of strict refs who put up with nothing.

Should be more like rugby in terms of ref respect level.

Whiny coaches raising a generation of whiny players.
Mathguy64
AG
Freaking coaches are killing me.

They played last night and because of Good Friday they are playing Thursday. So they are making stadium arrangements today and starting to beg for refs.

Now I'm assigning games on less than 24 hours notice to game time.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Mathguy64 said:

They played last night and because of Good Friday they are playing Thursday. So they are making stadium arrangements today and starting to beg for refs.

Yeah, I don't get the Thursday night thing, especially if you played Tuesday.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
jeffk
AG
Wait, they're changing their schedules for Good Friday just now?
LandArchSA
AG
Daughter's next opponent was pushing for Thursday but our coach lobbied for Friday after having a Tuesday night game this week. Neutral site was in play but apparently couldn't get refs for said site and/or there were facility access issues because of Good Friday (or at least my daughter's understanding). Coin flip put it at opponent's home field (2 hours away) but our coach thankfully stood firm on Friday.

Mathguy64
AG
jeffk said:

Wait, they're changing their schedules for Good Friday just now?

Well it's the playoffs. Half the teams in the state had nothing to change to start with.

Bidistrict finished Tuesday. Winners playing in Area play Thurs-Sat. So they are all trying to play Thurs.

So win Tues night. Wed arrange location and ref. Play Thurs. it's a 24 hour turnaround.
jeffk
AG
Ah, gotcha.

Regardless of holiday, we always tried to get those opening round games done early so we could scout opponents/rest for round two.

That said, I once got bounced by a 4th place team after winning district on a Thursday night, so ymmv.
Rudyjax
AG
Both boys and girls teams at my daughters school were pushing for Thursday. They're both playing at McKinney ISD stadium. I imagine referees were the issue.

PerdidoKey2030
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Looking for some insight, Kingwood Park playing at Lucas Lovejoy, was told there were no neutral sites available, so coin flip, we lose = 4+ hour bus trip on Good Friday to NE Dallas with return ETA 2AM Saturday. Any talk of seeding teams at beginning of playoffs and award home field advantage some rounds?
Rudyjax
AG
You would've thought they'd plan ahead with the first weekend of playoffs being Easter.
Mathguy64
AG
I turned away 3 schools. Refused to send refs. All three were a long distance and it wasn't enough time to find the right 3 people who could travel that far and that much travel time on short notice.

I had one set of teams that prearranged their Area game locations and refs based on each possible outcome. Turned out the expected outcome of winners happened and we are sending the crew tonight. But I knew about it 4 days ago.
Mathguy64
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton said:

Mathguy64 said:

Yeah, I don't get the Thursday night thing, especially if you played Tuesday.

Good Friday. Kids with church issues. Or worse families traveling for Easter. Life gets in the way.
Mathguy64
AG
Note you can avoid Good Friday if you play Saturday. Some teams are doing that.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

It's still Easter Weekend.

Mathguy64
AG
Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

But Saturday isn't Good Friday or Easter Sunday. I'm sending crews to some games Saturday.
Rudyjax
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

But Saturday isn't Good Friday or Easter Sunday. I'm sending crews to some games Saturday.
Right, but people travel and go places with the long weekend. Cuts down on availability, does it not?
PerdidoKey2030
AG
Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Similar to when we have club games on Sunday....I tell my daughter "Time for some Satan Soccer" LOL.

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
PerdidoKey2030 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Looking for some insight, Kingwood Park playing at Lucas Lovejoy, was told there were no neutral sites available, so coin flip, we lose = 4+ hour bus trip on Good Friday to NE Dallas with return ETA 2AM Saturday. Any talk of seeding teams at beginning of playoffs and award home field advantage some rounds?

Our Bi-district games were set so that #1-2 automatically got to host, 3-4 travelled.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Rudyjax
AG
PerdidoKey2030 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

Similar to when we have club games on Sunday....I tell my daughter "Time for some Satan Soccer" LOL.

I couldn't care less about the religious aspect of it all, but a 4 day weekend for schools, people often travel.

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
None of the days are great. I personally think Friday is still the best choice but I understand that there are challenges as well.
Jim01
AG
I would put it more on UIL than the coaches. The UIL and refs had to expect an onslaught of requests. Our coach was one that planned ahead and talked to both possible opponents on Monday to lobby for a Thursday game (which we got), so good planning there.

The head scratcher was that yesterday they had weight room after school, because Wednesday is their scheduled weight day. Not ideal in my eyes to do weights on the one day you have of rest, instead of, let's say, resting and strategizing, or using that time to do focused field work, but we'll see.

jessexy
AG
Ref shortage in the DFW area with Dallas Cup & International Girls Cup, among other things. I've got 2 playoff centers on Friday; one in the afternoon and one at night.
jeffk
AG
Rudyjax said:

PerdidoKey2030 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

I couldn't care less about the religious aspect of it all, but a 4 day weekend for schools, people often travel.

https://www.uiltexas.org/contact
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

Rudyjax said:

PerdidoKey2030 said:

Rudyjax said:

Mathguy64 said:

https://www.uiltexas.org/contact

I don't care either way. I'm just saying they should've thought about it to help with the referee and faculty.
jeffk
AG
I'm 100% sure that they did consider it.
Rudyjax
AG
jeffk said:

I'm 100% sure that they did consider it.

Ok. Is that why all the coaches were scrambling Tuesday to try and get the game Friday?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.