Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What is the possibility...

6,663 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by Aggie0956732
Urban Country Boy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
...of someone that has never played football ever to walk on to a D1 (TAMU)? Just be on the team.
aggiephoenix02
If you find a way to blackmail coach Elko, you may have a chance…
greg.w.h
AG
So like Mike Evans who didn't play football until his senior year at Ball in Galveston??? Could happen…
Urban Country Boy
AG
greg.w.h said:

So like Mike Evans who didn't play football until his senior year at Ball in Galveston??? Could happen…
Wow. Didn't know that. Must have been track.
Only Fans Director
A rugby player from England got drafted yesterday in the NFL.

So it could happen.
Proud father of an Aggie undergrad!
Actual Talking Thermos
Urban Country Boy said:

greg.w.h said:

Basketball had been his main thing if I remember correctly. He played on the practice squad against the TAMU women's team during his time in CS too I think.
dustytool
Sanjay already did it
AG
I knew a kid that walked on in 1989 who had never played a down of football and made the team.
Urban Country Boy
AG
4 said:

I knew a kid that walked on in 1989 who had never played a down of football and made the team.
A&M?
Urban Country Boy
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Are you the guy 4 knew?

Anybody who played high school football has had moments in games where there were a bunch of guys who just liked football, and one or two legit recruits on the field. And no one watching would be at all confused about who the 1 or 2 legit athletes were. So, if that one guy didn't play football growing up, he'd probably adapt pretty quickly as long as he didn't mind getting the **** knocked out of him.
Urban Country Boy
AG
Pioneer
A basketball player and hurdler from my high school went to kick on a hurdler scholarship. He walked on with the dolphins and made it to the Final Cut in the mid to late 80's.
Urban Country Boy
AG
Urban Country Boy
AG
Urban Country Boy said:

Jugstore Cowboy said:

Are you the guy 4 knew

StinkyPinky
AG
Urban Country Boy said:

Urban Country Boy said:

Jugstore Cowboy said:

Are you the guy 4 knew?

I was leaving a Basketball game a little early because I had spent three hours at practice and
needed to do homework. (Engineering). I got called a 2%er. You are that guy. What did you do for the university?

I think you misread his post. Think he was paying you a compliment
AG
Yes
Urban Country Boy
AG
StinkyPinky said:

Urban Country Boy said:

Urban Country Boy said:

Jugstore Cowboy said:

Are you the guy 4 knew?

I was leaving a Basketball game a little early because I had spent three hours at practice and
needed to do homework. (Engineering). I got called a 2%er. You are that guy. What did you do for the university?

I think you misread his post. Think he was paying you a compliment
Yikes. Thanks.
AG
Do you have an older brother named Kenny and a dad that was a school district superintendent?
ABATTBQ11
AG
greg.w.h said:

In school, yeah, but he had played a few years of youth football before that. It wasn't like he'd never touched a football and went straight to varsity.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
It's actually extremely easy and unimpressive.
NoahAg
Anyone else confused about what's going on here?
Aggie87
AG
Isn't it possible that some of the guys who tried out for the 12th Man Kickoff Team under Jackie had never played before? It was open tryouts for any students.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
NoahAg said:

I'm not entirely sure.

I read it as an open question, and replied suggesting that talent and physical ability really start to differentiate players in the high school years, and someone with standout athletic ability - who had never played before - could probably adapt to the game pretty quickly, as long as they were willing to take the knocks.

Michael Strahan is one of the most famous examples: missed out on most of high school football because his dad was stationed in Germany. Dad sent him back to Houston and live w/ relatives so he could get one year of HS ball at Westbury, then TSU. Then had a pretty good career after that.
aeon-ag
Urban Country Boy said:

greg.w.h said:

Basketball
Ag Tag
aeon-ag said:

Urban Country Boy said:

greg.w.h said:

Basketball
He showed that tall basketball players can make good pass catchers. Why not? Good idea.
74AnimalA
AG
Urban Country Boy said:

greg.w.h said:

Think it was Basketball. 6' 5" Remember
Aggie Class of 2026
4 said:

Was it Mister Rose?
JohnLA762
AG
-12% no doubt!
StinkyPinky
AG
I always found talk of 'if Lebron James decided to play football, he would be an immediate impact player as a TE' when he was younger. I'm am not a LJ fan (at all), but contrary to my normal beliefs think there might be merit to this one. Don't know. The tools and athleticism would have been there. As someone said earlier, just needed to be able to take the hits (and not flop)
AustinCountyAg
Urban Country Boy said:

...of someone that has never played football ever to walk on to a D1 (TAMU)? Just be on the team.
If you're six three, 250 lbs, and can run a 4.5 or so, I bet they would give you a legit shot if you have athleticism.
TexasLeaguer
AG
A guy on my HS team was a backup TE and never saw action. He just happened to be 6'4 and bulked up his freshman year in college. He walked on to A&M and was a backup TE in HS. Walk ins depend on a few things, the greatest of which is size, strength, and speed.
12thMan9
AG
Aggie87 said:

Isn't it possible that some of the guys who tried out for the 12th Man Kickoff Team under Jackie had never played before? It was open tryouts for any students.

Nope. Read our book.

We did have a 6 man football kid & some other small school kids who made it & played.

And whoever posted the pic w/the jersey & '85 & '86 SWC championship rings, I have those & the '87 ring.
Ronnie '88
usmcbrooks
NoahAg said:

D*** measuring contest?
mustang1234
Urban Country Boy said:

greg.w.h said:

Basketball
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.