Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

OL

10,872 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Azeew
Bill Superman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We will live and die this season by our O Line play. After our past two seasons' OL performance and the fact that we haven't had a healthy QB since Mond was here, this will be the deciding factor on if we can crack the coveted double digit win column.

Elko's comment on the OL today spoke volumes to me after watching our guys block ghosts as blitzers ran right by them.
"Our focus is a lot less on cohesiveness and more on strain along the OL. We want to see kids play harder and block better."

We could have been leagues better had our guys even stepped in front of the rushers for even just a moment. After the last two season's OL debacles, simply playing harder, until the whistle and just attempting to block someone is a huge step in the right direction.

Regardless, it's only up from where we've been. Can't wait to see us hold the line, even if it's just for a second.

Hubert J. Farnsworth
Quote:

Elko's comment on the OL today spoke volumes to me after watching our guys block ghosts as blitzers ran right by them. "Our focus is a lot less on cohesiveness and more on strain along the OL. We want to see kids play harder and block better."

I found that comment very interesting. It sounds like they are trying to coach out some bad habits leftover from Addazio. I also like how their focus isn't on cohesiveness or "gelling" right now and is instead on making them better blockers. Under Jimbo it always seemed like he talked a lot about the "gelling" aspect. Maybe they should have been more focused on making them better blockers.
dixichkn
AG
Well we certainly know they won't REgress. That's impossible
halfastros81
AG
They seemed lost much of the time, absolutely did not understand their blocking assignments which to
Me is absolutely the fault of the coaching . Exact opposite of gelling.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
halfastros81 said:

They seemed lost much of the time, absolutely did not understand their blocking assignments which to

It wasn't just not knowing assignments. Their blocking technique was terrible and they got whipped a lot, even when they followed their assignment correctly. They also couldn't move hardly anybody in run blocking. It was like they would hit the defensive line and just try to hold them in place instead of driving them back. It was terrible coaching, an awful blocking scheme, and just bad execution.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
the best offensive lines play with attitude and set the tone for the whole team. give me five brawlers who want to punish people and i will show you a good offensive line.
Leonard H. Stringfield
Yup, the last 10 years or so.....MIA.
Randy Rhodes
Ok they know the problem and are dealing with it?

Whats the problem?
Ugly
AG
Randy Rhodes said:

Whats the problem?
The OL can't block.
Gyles Marrett
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

Quote:

Elko's comment on the OL today spoke volumes to me after watching our guys block ghosts as blitzers ran right by them. "Our focus is a lot less on cohesiveness and more on strain along the OL. We want to see kids play harder and block better."

I found that comment very interesting. It sounds like they are trying to coach out some bad habits leftover from Addazio. I also like how their focus isn't on cohesiveness or "gelling" right now and is instead on making them better blockers. Under Jimbo it always seemed like he talked a lot about the "gelling" aspect. Maybe they should have been more focused on making them better blockers.
It takes a lot of cohesiveness and being able to know what each other are thinking when you're trying to figure out who is going to pick up the ghost rusher and who's going to block and actual defender.
Gyles Marrett
I forgot who on TA radio said it yesterday but someone mentioned Foster should still be the starting center. With him missing all spring the only way I'd agree with that is if everyone else we try at center completely sucks. I've seen nothing out of his play that makes me think he can miss spring and still be our best option at center...but we will see.
offenseguru
AG
Absolutely correct. If we had a good unit who performed well then ok go to track. But HIS unit pretty much single handedly is responsible for our urgent state of affairs. Oline dominates and we have a different season. Until that happens all jobs up for grabs until great tape and results and work established.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Gyles Marrett said:

Quote:

It takes a lot of cohesiveness and being able to know what each other are thinking when you're trying to figure out who is going to pick up the ghost rusher and who's going to block and actual defender.

Cohesiveness is definitely important, but Jimbo and crew obviously neglected something in getting the o-line ready because they just weren't good at blocking outside of 2020 and to a lesser degree 2018.
Randy Rhodes
Ugly said:

Randy Rhodes said:

Whats the problem?
The OL can't block.

How did you get into spring practice?
Hubert J. Farnsworth
Gyles Marrett said:

I forgot who on TA radio said it yesterday but someone mentioned Foster should still be the starting center. With him missing all spring the only way I'd agree with that is if everyone else we try at center completely sucks. I've seen nothing out of his play that makes me think he can miss spring and still be our best option at center...but we will see.

I hope someone else beats Foster out. In the press conferences, the coaches didn't seem thrilled when a question was asked about him and they gave very short answers. To me, it seems like the coaches wanted him to forgo track to learn the new system but he wouldn't do it. Elko's 2 word "he's track" answer with nothing else told me a lot. Klein kind of blew his Foster question off and instead talked about Nabou and Shanahan practicing at center.
VP at Pierce and Pierce

Gyles Marrett said:

I hope someone else beats Foster out. In the press conferences, the coaches didn't seem thrilled when a question was asked about him and they gave very short answers. To me, it seems like the coaches wanted him to forgo track to learn the new system but he wouldn't do it. Elko's 2 word "he's track" answer with nothing else told me a lot. Klein kind of blew his Foster question off and instead talked about Nabou and Shanahan practicing at center.
His scholarship is for football and unless he is Olympic caliber he needs to be at spring practice. Hopefully a big improvement of the OL will be in the weight room. That unit looked slow, weak, too bulky, and out of shape the past few seasons. Poor diet and poor weight training.
NyAggie
AG
Bill Superman said:

We will live and die this season by our O Line play. After our past two seasons' OL performance and the fact that we haven't had a healthy QB since Mond was here, this will be the deciding factor on if we can crack the coveted double digit win column.

Elko's comment on the OL today spoke volumes to me after watching our guys block ghosts as blitzers ran right by them.
"Our focus is a lot less on cohesiveness and more on strain along the OL. We want to see kids play harder and block better."

We could have been leagues better had our guys even stepped in front of the rushers for even just a moment. After the last two season's OL debacles, simply playing harder, until the whistle and just attempting to block someone is a huge step in the right direction.

Regardless, it's only up from where we've been. Can't wait to see us hold the line, even if it's just for a second.

it's also why I think a couple of new faces could crack the starting lineup on the oline.

Gyles Marrett
VP at Pierce and Pierce said:

Gyles Marrett said:

His scholarship is for football and unless he is Olympic caliber he needs to be at spring practice. Hopefully a big improvement of the OL will be in the weight room. That unit looked slow, weak, too bulky, and out of shape the past few seasons. Poor diet and poor weight training.
While I want to see a different option at Center....There's not really an option to do it the other way around. If he's going to play football and track they don't let you save football scholarships by putting him on a track scholarship.
VP at Pierce and Pierce
Gyles Marrett said:

Gyles Marrett said:

While I want to see a different option at Center....There's not really an option to do it the other way around. If he's going to play football and track they don't let you save football scholarships by putting him on a track scholarship.
I understand that, my point was football is paying his all his bills and rehabbing all his injuries. It is time for him to focus on football only and that starts in the weight room and actually playing the sport. He hasn't shown to be good enough to just walk out there in the fall and dominate.
StinkyPinky
AG
Detmersdislocatedshoulder said:

the best offensive lines play with attitude and set the tone for the whole team. give me five brawlers who want to punish people and i will show you a good offensive line.
This. As a former OL, best units I was on where not the best technically and fundamentally correct, but when the core was made of up guys that were animals and wanted to punish people. You can't teach that fire and passion, has to come naturally.
12thMan9
AG

Gyles Marrett said:

Gyles Marrett said:

I understand that, my point was football is paying his all his bills and rehabbing all his injuries. It is time for him to focus on football only and that starts in the weight room and actually playing the sport. He hasn't shown to be good enough to just walk out there in the fall and dominate.

Well, he's told them differently. Just like he did in prior years.
Ronnie '88
Bill Superman
AG
offenseguru said:

Absolutely correct. If we had a good unit who performed well then ok go to track. But HIS unit pretty much single handedly is responsible for our urgent state of affairs. Oline dominates and we have a different season. Until that happens all jobs up for grabs until great tape and results and work established.
I fail to understand why shot put requires so much time that he has to miss spring practice. If it mattered enough he would work around the football schedule.
Redfishag93
I would not wager any money on Foster maintaining a starting position. His play definitely fits the narrative of needing to "strain" harder and longer. And he's doing track...he better come in with a much different mindset and attitude in the fall if he's gonna get playing time.

It really felt like recruiting pedigree affected playing time with Jimbo in more than a few cases. Hopefully that will be different going forward.

I thought Nabou was decent last year...likely starting center.

Zuhn was our best lineman in my opinion...likely LT.

Them commenting positively on transfer Armaj Reed Adams is good to hear...prolly starting guard.

No telling on RT and the other guard. Hopefully Cushing and Klein can get more out of these guys. I'd bet a whole bunch of money they will considering the height of that bar.
Ugly
AG

Gyles Marrett said:

That was certainly the talk during his recruitment, but I have not paid attention to his current track results to know if he is has gotten to/maintained an Olympian level.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Always been true. Always will be.
Bill Superman
AG

halfastros81 said:

It wasn't just not knowing assignments. Their blocking technique was terrible and they got whipped a lot, even when they followed their assignment correctly. They also couldn't move hardly anybody in run blocking. It was like they would hit the defensive line and just try to hold them in place instead of driving them back. It was terrible coaching, an awful blocking scheme, and just bad execution.
It was the worst coaching and scheme that I've ever see next to Fran. At least one of the O Linemen was confused on every given play. There was always someone blocking nobody. Blitzers would rush right by those guys and they would ignore them and look for someone else to block.

Every play you could feel that something was likely to go wrong and it all began at the line. The RB's never had a hole anywhere, especially where there was supposed to be one.

I've never seen anything like it. Would have loved to listen to Addazio try to explain it, but Jimbo knew better than to allow that.
redjalapeno-87
Quote:

It was the worst coaching and scheme that I've ever see next to Fran. At least one of the O Linemen was confused on every given play. There was always someone blocking nobody. Blitzers would rush right by those guys and they would ignore them and look for someone else to block.

Every play you could feel that something was likely to go wrong and it all began at the line. The RB's never had a hole anywhere, especially where there was supposed to be one.

I've never seen anything like it. Would have loved to listen to Addazio try to explain it, but Jimbo knew better than to allow that.

It was like watching a monkey f'in a football out there.

Demo_Slug
AG
I didn't understand what strain meant in Elko's comments. Seems awkward but specific.
Bill Superman
AG
Demo_Slug said:

I didn't understand what strain meant in Elko's comments. Seems awkward but specific.
It means they need to quit being *******.
TxAg76
AG
Demo_Slug said:

Let's say you're trying to push a really big and heavy piece of furniture across the floor.

You can lean on it and push on it, but say it's only at a level that's physically comfortable for you. No discomfort, no strain.

Now let's add some aggression, let's add some attacking into it, and let's go beyond comfortable and start pushing on it with every ounce of strength and energy you've got.

Get it?
offenseguru
AG
And if he is so preoccupied with becoming Olympian he should be dismissed from football to spend his time pursuing his Olympic dreams. Our Oline spots Schollies and NIL should be reserved for NFL future draft picks. It's been many years since a field event guy played Oline at like SEC level hasn't it?
Randy Rhodes
Demo_Slug said:

As bad as the OL has been, it's strain to teach them to be better
Divining Rod
Technique and Fundamentals were foreign concepts to Fisher and his assistants.

If you didn't understand that after the tackling and blocking and pass "coverage" in the Miami game, then you just don't understand.
jsmc71
AG
I'm really disappointed Foster chose (again) not to participate in spring football; especially considering he's draft eligible after this season. He was good (not great) as true fish and I think he's one of the most (if not the most) physically talented guys on our O line.

Are there any track savvy posters who know whether he's at/approaching Olympic competition levels in shot?

I have no idea how much time track practice takes, but I also find it hard to believe that it's so time-consuming he can't do anything with spring football.
Bill Superman said:

We will live AND die this season by our O Line play.
Schrödinger's OL
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.