Ram 1500 RHO?

2,082 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by grimace07
Buck Turgidson
How long do you want to ignore this user?

So Ram recently revealed a new competitor for the Ecoboost powered Raptor. A lot of folks are getting down on this truck because they mistakenly view it as a TRX replacement with less horsepower. However, if you compare it to its turbocharged 6 cylinder Ford competitor, it has more horsepower and costs about $9k less.

I have been continually tempted to buy a TRX since its debut, but it is just too compromised for the single purpose of offroad speed - low payload, low towing capacity, horrific mileage and astronomical cost. The RHO seems like a saner tradeoff - better payload, better towing, much better mileage, much lower price, all at the cost of one tenth of a second on 0-60 and probably a less cool exhaust sound.

I am looking forward to the inevitable TFL drag race video pitting this against an Ecoboost Raptor and a TRX.
Silvy
AG
While it'll sound relatively gay compared to TRX, it'll sound less gay than EB Raptor.

I suspect it'll have a lot of potential and hopefully tuning is quickly available. A HO Hurricane in an AWD car would be a menace on the skreets
TexasAggie2006
AG
RHO = Removed Hellcat Option

The reason people are down on the RHO is their frustration with Stellantis for abandoning the Mopar/Brotherhood of Muscle heritage and pushing European garbage down everyone's throat. It's a Hurricane engine shoved in the bones of a trophy truck.

To your point, it may be more practical and cheaper than a TRX, but so was just about everything else on the road. Pour one out for the short-lived Raptor killer that changed the game.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I see this as more of a tremor competitor
Flaith
AG
Getting pretty tired of this 15ft wide, super fox/bilstein shock, 900hp baja/trophy truck trend. Ain't nobody jumping dunes or driving 100mph across uneven ground in these.

Sweet wheel travel while jumping a curb to maneuver through a Chili's parking lot, broseph.
The Fife
Idunno, these guys actually did a jump in their Raptor but it didn't turn out so well.

FIDO*98*
AG
I'm about to have my dash replaced on my Ram for the second time. Just replaced all the plastic trim on the bed, plastic window curtains, and had to replace the driver side mirror out of warranty. I only have 42,000 miles. I'll never buy another Ram when I get rid of this POS at the end of the year
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Flaith said:

Getting pretty tired of this 15ft wide, super fox/bilstein shock, 900hp baja/trophy truck trend. Ain't nobody jumping dunes or driving 100mph across uneven ground in these.

Sweet wheel travel while jumping a curb to maneuver through a Chili's parking lot, broseph.

Mall rated, brah
AggieJames09
AG
I've never been a dodge fan but they do a heck of a job on marketing, looks awesome.
I've owned Toyota, Chevy, Ford. Maybe I need to try Dodge next
sts7049
AG
so.. really this trucks name is the RAMP 1500?
tk for tu juan
Seems like an engine that should be in a lowered regular cab 4x4 truck
FallsonbrazosAg91
AG
Flaith said:

Uhhh. Don't buy it. And sorry.
I think it kicks tail!
Flaith
AG
I won't. I'm just an automobile enthusiast speaking to trends I don't personally care for.

I do like the Hurricane engine a lot, though.
FallsonbrazosAg91
AG
I guess I sounded like a dic
My apologies.
Sorta like a Porsche or Lamborghini or Ferrari. Ain't nobody doing 160+mph routinely.
But it's sure neat that such machines are out there.
TxAg20
AG
I'm in the other camp. Plenty of sports cars on the road that never see a racetrack, Plenty of diesel pickups that never pull anything heavier than a small boat. Plenty of 3 row SUVs without the 3rd row being used. Lots of 4x4 and AWD vehicles that never see the snow or offroad. Since I don't drive a Corolla, I'll pass on throwing the first stone.
Flaith
AG
Now, a Pacifica RHO would be a big hit on the auto board
malenurse
AG
Ooooh, my wife would love it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5oo9YKpkFp/?igsh=MTQ3Zmd5czN0bzRzdw==
sts7049
AG
sts7049 said:

i guess my greek alphabet joke was a dud
StockHorseAg
AG
The driver was my neighbor back when I was in high school, he still has back problems to this day from that jump. His last name is Wacker and his dad invented something to do with concrete vibrators.

As a side note, he races Ultra 4 buggies and has a whole off road desert race track for testing in the back pasture of his ranch.
agracer
AG
TxAg20 said:

I'm in the other camp. Plenty of sports cars on the road that never see a racetrack, Plenty of diesel pickups that never pull anything heavier than a small boat. Plenty of 3 row SUVs without the 3rd row being used. Lots of 4x4 and AWD vehicles that never see the snow or offroad. Since I don't drive a Corolla, I'll pass on throwing the first stone.
So basically, most everyone should drive a minivan and a small 4-door sedan?
Buck Turgidson
sts7049 said:

sts7049 said:

i guess my greek alphabet joke was a dud
I know the Greek alphabet and that STILL went right over my head.
TxAg20
AG
agracer said:

TxAg20 said:

So basically, most everyone should drive a minivan and a small 4-door sedan?

If we were forced to drive the most practical vehicle, yes.

99% of the time, a Corolla is all that's needed for my family of 4. Throw a roof rack on that Corolla, and we probably get to 99.9% of the time. I still don't own a Corolla, but I have 8 less practical vehicles.

ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Silvy said:

While it'll sound relatively gay compared to TRX, it'll sound less gay than EB Raptor.

I suspect it'll have a lot of potential and hopefully tuning is quickly available. A HO Hurricane in an AWD car would be a menace on the skreets

I'm not intimately familiar with the specs on the RHO Hurricane powertrain but with this already being a twin turbo V6, will there be much performance left to eek out by aftermarket tuners compared to the V8 Hemi engine tunes?
Thanks & Gig 'Em
Silvy
AG
There should be plenty of additional power available. Being turbo, the air potential is already there just need to add fuel and spark accordingly.
Flaith
AG
Twin turbo I-6*

Factory turbo engines are usually capable of making BIG aftermarket power.

Already pushing 500+ hp, so not sure why you would really need more, but hey let's get nuts.
Silvy
AG
Flaith said:

Already pushing 500+ hp, so not sure why you would really need more, but hey let's get nuts.
Because ~400 rwhp is regular traffic, brah
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Yes I-6 my misstep.
Logic makes sense regarding the boost/tuning potential.

I guess I look at it like this:
If I'm a pitcher with and arm that can throw 95 mph, I won't always throw 95 maxed out but I like to know I have the option if needed; Imagine knowing you have an arm that slings heat but not being able to touch 80 mph because your uniform is too tight!
Thanks & Gig 'Em
grimace07
AG
That's how I use mine, and it's awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.