Metroplex
Sponsored by

Just got property tax appraisal

8,550 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by gabehcoud
hijakeroo123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Collin County Question: My wife and I are closing on a house tomorrow in Plano. We are planning to file for homestead exemption as soon as we have our ID's updated with the new address. Does anyone know if Collin CAD accepts temporary (paper) licenses as proof of address? I am skeptical about receiving our permanent licenses before the April 30th homestead filing deadline.

Additionally, the total assessed value shown in the 2024 notice of appraised value which was released to the current owner yesterday shows a total assessed value approximately $50k over our purchase price. Is this a reasonable grounds for protest, and if so, do y'all recommend protesting directly or through a consultant?
Texker
AG
Congrats on your purchase! A temp license is still a government issued document. Regardless, I'd think you have enough closing documentation to prove residency.
JBLHAG03
AG
Just signed up for North Texas Property Tax Services.
Crispin Torque
Just checked mine on the Collin CAD website; up 22% last year, another 10% this year.

I didnt have any luck protesting last year, but I expected that because it was in line with the market. The jump this year takes me way past any other recent comps in my neighborhood.

I used Ownwell for my protest last year, but may try North Texas Property Tax Service this year.
gabehcoud
I originally got my appraised value dropped to my purchase price. Temporary victory though, they'll just stick it to you next year.
Crispin Torque
Crispin Torque said:

Just checked mine on the Collin CAD website; up 22% last year, another 10% this year.

I didnt have any luck protesting last year, but I expected that because it was in line with the market. The jump this year takes me way past any other recent comps in my neighborhood.

I used Ownwell for my protest last year, but may try North Texas Property Tax Service this year.
Looking at all my neighbors now and everybody else went down from last year, lol.

I think someone with the County made a typo with mine.
FincAg
AG
Looks like DCAD and RISD didn't like the so called "property tax relief bill" passed last year. The government gets their pound of flesh eventually.

My market values have increased 18%, 5%, 13%, 14%, 18% over the past 5 years. Homestead of course capped each year.

Taxes paid did dip last year (-6%) however they had been increasing 6% and 7% each years prior. Not 2024, no my tax bill is up +11% to make up for the loss apparently.

Complete horse**** because no way can I sell my 1955 home for more than twice the price I paid in 2015. My land value is nearly twice the value of some large lots zoned in WRE.
riverrataggie
AG
Same boat. I'm in Lakewood and bought in 2015. I've fought every year and now my market price is doubly of what I paid for it.

I think I just contest and when they expect me to fight I'll just say, sure sold! When I can expect the check from DCAD?
FTAco07
AG
riverrataggie said:

Same boat. I'm in Lakewood and bought in 2015. I've fought every year and now my market price is doubly of what I paid for it.

I think I just contest and when they expect me to fight I'll just say, sure sold! When I can expect the check from DCAD?
Do you think your DCAD appraisal is really above market value? I bought my house two years ago and the same builder just put up a very very similar house across the street and listed it for 23% more PSF than what I paid just two years ago.
riverrataggie
AG
Not sure. But if that's what I could get for my house I'll be out by Friday.

Why, you in the market?
FTAco07
AG
Without knowing what kind of house it is, look up redfin and take a look at current prices. New construction/full rebuilds are going for mid 2 million range and a house that literally hasn't been updated since the 60s (think original green appliances and a tube TV in the living room) was just listed for $770k (presumably as a teardown or full rebuild) and had a bidding war immediately.
oldag941
AG
I live in Dallas and RISD too. Last 5 years Market Values have gone up: 0%, 0%, 28%, 7% and 0%. Tax Values (City) have gone up 53%, 0%, 0%, 10%, 10%. Make heads or tails out of those figures.... Still analyzing.
riverrataggie
AG
Interesting. Good data point.
wangus12
AG
Can someone explain this to me like I'm 5. Just got my appraised value. Using round numbers to make it easy, but all the market value numbers decreased from 2023 to 2024.

Market value of improvements: $365k to $359k
Market value of Non Ag/Timber: $120k to $120k
Total Market Value: $485k to $479k

Appraisal Value: $400k up to $430k.

How does the Appraisal value go up when all the other numbers went down?
Fenrir
https://texags.com/forums/37/topics/3454410/replies/67349028
wangus12
AG
So this is just to a continuation increase at the 10% limit because the value of the land jumped so much over the last several years, but they couldn't increase the percentage that much year to year?
drewser95
AG
Correct
Fenrir
Might as well get used to it. Unless dfw gets knocked into a recession this is probably going to continue for the near future.
gabehcoud
Kennedale
2024: 5.6%
2023: 13.6%
2022: 10.4%
2021: 16.0%
I use Chandler Crouch to contest every year.
FightinTAC08
AG
i am now overvalued - i figured it would hit this year. market value per CAD is higher than what i would list for.

**** these guys.

ETA - i will be protesting. i protest every year regardless of the amounts shown.
PuryearAg98
AG
Regarding Collin County and NTPTS, did everyone get the notification about alternate means of protesting a "capped" taxable value home? I am trying to make sense of the terms and what cost I might incur and I am struggling.

I will call them of course, but wanted to ask those here that might have already reached out or understood the terms.
PlanoAg98
AG

I just went to sign up for North Texas Property Tax Services.

Quote:

You will be charged a one-time fee of $249.00 for property tax consulting services for the 2024 tax year.
nortex97
AG
I've always just filed it myself and taken what I could get from them as an offer. I'm not convinced the services really save people a lot of money otherwise, it's just a convenience.
Stive
AG
FincAg said:

Looks like DCAD and RISD didn't like the so called "property tax relief bill" passed last year. The government gets their pound of flesh eventually.

My market values have increased 18%, 5%, 13%, 14%, 18% over the past 5 years. Homestead of course capped each year.

Taxes paid did dip last year (-6%) however they had been increasing 6% and 7% each years prior. Not 2024, no my tax bill is up +11% to make up for the loss apparently.

Complete horse**** because no way can I sell my 1955 home for more than twice the price I paid in 2015. My land value is nearly twice the value of some large lots zoned in WRE.

How do you know your tax bill is going up 11%? Property tax rates for the entities haven't been set yet (August of 2024 for most of them) and your property tax bill hasn't been sent out yet (October usually)?
rebel06
AG
Anyone ever use these guys? Heard him on a podcast and seems like a good group:

PropertyTax.io | Smarter, Faster Appeals
ac04
CCAD decreased the value of improvements by 4.4%, but made up for it by cranking the value of the land up 28.6% to make sure i was still up 3.6% overall. that's a neat trick since arguing the land value is nearly impossible. ****ing criminals.
ctownaggie
AG
Does anyone have a referral code for PropertyTax.IO?
ac04
ctownaggie said:

Does anyone have a referral code for PropertyTax.IO?
C74079
TXAGGIES
Mine went up 10% on a sale in June of 2022. No way the market rose 10% since June of 2022, so it cannot be "catch-up" as the value was set at the purchase.

Guess I am protesting again this year.
nai06
AG
I honestly think my place is undervalued by about 20K based on recent sales
gabehcoud
If anyone wants a unsolicited opinion of the TAD board elections:
Place 1
Morris: unqualified
Syed: very qualified
Fowler: unqualified
Place 2:
Rigney: unqualified
Crile: less unqualified
Place 3:
Kelley: qualified. wish he was running for place 2
Bryant: very qualified. aggie
Henderson: unqualified

TXAGGIES
Question for those that have appealed on their own. Is the stance I am taking going to be seen as a decent discussion?

Facts:
Bought home in July 2022 for $XXX

Appraisals we had done for purchase came in $80-100K higher. I believe do to the repairs and such needed.

2023 CAD comes back with a valuation of around the appraisal we had done before the purchase.

I protested last year and won back to purchase price.

This year they are -4% higher than their initial valuation last year.

I am asking for purchase price plus 4% increase as none of the repairs etc have been done.

Any standing for this instance?
Golf Ag
AG
Has anyone used Chandler Crouch / freetaxprotest.com in Tarrant County? I have not in years prior but seems legitimate from research.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Since tad.org is a piece of crap I used the online submission form to request my comp data. When the TAD appraiser replied with the comps he also offered, unsolicited, to hold my market value flat to last year. I suggest anyone in Tarrant County reach out to them directly as I've heard of multiple people being offered the same. This is on market value and not what you're taxed on. I've pretty much given up on getting my taxable value lowered again and I'm just trying to hold my market value flat until assess value catches up. I'm planning to accept their offer since I usually spend 12 or so hours looking at comps and building a case to lower my values.
gabehcoud
Golf Ag said:

Has anyone used Chandler Crouch / freetaxprotest.com in Tarrant County? I have not in years prior but seems legitimate from research.
Been using him for several years
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.