Metroplex
Sponsored by

Spring 2024 Storms

26,015 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Decay
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12
AG
FTAG 2000
AG
beatlesphan said:

FTAG, how does one check on the status of "the cap"?

Good question.

The National Weather Service will periodically post that info with Skew-T graphs, or a lot of times just put out an update that says it's capped or not on Facebook or X.

It's tough to find without hunting sometimes though.

Some of the good and informative mets on facebook and X will share it more readily than the NWS, in my experience.

Following guys like POW Ponder, Evan Andrews, and Steve McCauley should get you good info and filter out a lot of the noise in the DFW tv market.

Just a quick update on this afternoon - the stuff north of us is putting down golf to tennis ball size hail.

Storm by Mineral Wells is the one to watch for the metro. That, and any other storms that form in its vicinity or out ahead of it.

FTAG 2000
AG
It looks like the storms to the north have fleshed out an outflow boundary that is racing south. This seems to be pulling the western storms more south - southeast.

Those cells like they will impact the west - southwest - south areas of Ft. Worth and areas to the south (Waxahachie, Hillsboro, etc.) and miss Dallas metro proper completely.

ftworthag02
AG
yup, looks like its going to skirt us
Decay
AG
Wild stuff. We were staring down the barrel of that gun here in Wise county.
FTAG 2000
AG
Yeah that outflow boundary did dfw and all our insurance premiums a solid.
ChoppinDs40
AG
About to fire up the sprinklers.
FTAG 2000
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

I'd wait a bit.

Another round is firing up around Denton and heading this way.

Don't think it'll be severe but might get a soaker out of it.

752bro4
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

I'd wait a bit.

ChoppinDs40
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

I'd wait a bit.

Toooo latttee
Eliminatus
AG
Well, it got cloudy here for a bit in McKinney. So that's something I guess.
TheCurl84
AG
Well this is the third consecutive "major storm alert" that didn't even produce a drop of rain for me. And I get it. That happens. But what amazes me is the dramatic forecast changes with two hours. Earlier today we were gonna get blasted between 2-7pm. Then at 2pm it said significant thunderstorms from 4-6pm. Then at 4 it said thunderstorms coming between 6-8. And now at 6:30, the forecast calls for cloudy skies.

FTAG 2000
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

FTAG 2000 said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

I'd wait a bit.

Toooo latttee

lol. Good. That wimpy little two minute shower about 15 minutes ago is all we are getting in Prosper.

They just had baseball size hail on edges of Hillsboro. That storm was headed straight for a run through FTW and Dallas along i20 before that outflow boundary sent it south.
FTAG 2000
AG
Texas State - San Marcos fixing to take a direct hit from a tornado. Hoping that's not on the ground.
Absolute
AG
TheCurl84 said:

Well this is the third consecutive "major storm alert" that didn't even produce a drop of rain for me. And I get it. That happens. But what amazes me is the dramatic forecast changes with two hours. Earlier today we were gonna get blasted between 2-7pm. Then at 2pm it said significant thunderstorms from 4-6pm. Then at 4 it said thunderstorms coming between 6-8. And now at 6:30, the forecast calls for cloudy skies.

Understand the science and variables. Wosh they would stop going so full Armageddon every single time there is the slightest chance. At least until they see real signatures. Personally I have started to just ignore the warnings/watches. Whether it is because they are covering too large an area or just craving ratings, they are wrong too often.
The Collective
AG
The Collective
AG
I don't think it is the forecasters, tbh, it is our connectedness and awareness. I remember going under a t-storm watch all the time as a kid. It rarely happens today. They don't cast near as wide a net as they used to do.
FTAG 2000
AG
TheCurl84 said:

You have to realize everything the locals look at is computer models, and those models aren't infalliable.

None of them had the northern storms dumping an outflow boundary that would race south through the metroplex, drop the dew points by 12-15 degrees, and take those western cells with them to the south.

The other "big events' you mention were all conditional on the CAP getting broken but timing was off with the forcing mechanisms to do so - i.e., dry line, cold front, and one low pressure system.

Enviroag02
AG
Anybody on the lookout tonight for the northern lights in north Texas?
Decay
AG
We couldn't see anything but it was kinda cloudy by us. They could see it in Waco so I'm sure it was visible here
AgsWin2011
AG
This is what, the 4th consecutive weekend with rain? Not complaining but sure wish it would happen during the week so I can do some fun outdoor activities before it's 120 outside.
ChoppinDs40
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

This is what, the 4th consecutive weekend with rain? Not complaining but sure wish it would happen during the week so I can do some fun outdoor activities before it's 120 outside.

Sucks. We're camping right now and by camping I mean sitting in the rv and checking for leaks.
chick79
AG
Never complain about rain Texas. You'll be begging for it soon.
Texker
AG
Nice steady rain in Rockwall County today. The rain that we used to hang out in, float stuff down the run-off.
Decay
AG
Finally got real concrete downspout diverters since most Home Depots don't stock them. About 1 pm the rain died off so I thought I'd put them out before it came down again.

We got these awkwardly long ones that are effing heavy. Don't want to fit under the spout. The rain came back heavy. I didn't grab gloves since it's a quick job so they're shredding my wet hands. I'm cussing and kicking the last one into place, getting soaked and standing in a puddle (that wouldn't be there if I'd have put them in 6 months ago when we moved in).

My advice, put them out before it rains. And buy them ASAP!

But at least they're all in!
ChoppinDs40
AG
Nice!! Better yet, tie them into some drainage lines.
beatlesphan
AG
Where did you get them from Decay? I need a few
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ChoppinDs40
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

AgsWin2011 said:

Sucks. We're camping right now and by camping I mean sitting in the rv and checking for leaks.

Not gonna let biblical rain stop me from grilling and drinking beer

Texker
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

AgsWin2011 said:

Said every RV owner. Ever.
Decay
AG
beatlesphan said:

Where did you get them from Decay? I need a few

Carrollton Home Depot
Decay
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Nice!! Better yet, tie them into some drainage lines.

That's the eventual plan but I'm gonna have to financially recover from summer vacation first. You know the one we already paid for but haven't even taken yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.