BHS fights on campus

8,840 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Thisguy1
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I never once said they might do it for the benefit of their child.
maroon barchetta
That's fair.
dubi
AG
trouble said:

I think it got pulled because it only takes one parent complaining about their underage child being in the video to cause a huge mess.

As was pointed out above
I think those parents failed for many years and this is the result.
Marlin39m
My kids went to BISD. The lengths that the school district goes to hide the almost daily violence is maddening. When schools worry more about attendance records than real teaching and honest achievement, chaos like this results. Who really fails classes anymore and gets held back? Teachers have to pass kids that have no interest in learning and instead just cause distraction and safety concerns for those students who are trying to learn. It's really not the fault of the teachers and only partially on the admins. This is the way that public education is set up.
TChaney
Anybody here trying to normalize this behavior is part of the problem.
Hornbeck
There were fights in school when I was growing up, but nobody had a camera phone to record it.

In my hometown, the parents have been known to post videos, and in some cases encourage such behavior.
TyHolden
AG
textar4404 said:

michellecan said:

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/31/01/4CA3BADA-810D-479A-83B9-81D22DC3591D/cm-chat-media-video-156b7833-c2be-5976-a1f4-8d320f7714bc:2358:0:0.MOV
We're going to need your IP, username, and password to view that.
i can make a couple calls and probably get that
BCSWguru
Straight from the horse's mouth. They just want your money.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/09/28/bryan-college-station-isd-superintendents-advocate-fairness-amidst-school-choice-debate/

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/11/01/governor-calls-passage-school-vouchers-addressing-teacher-pay-upping-price-tag-per-student/
michellecan
Hey Ty, I have absolutely nothing to hide.
gibby03
AG
1000% agree. Problem is, there is no solution for that to happen. Not from the State. Not from the Local School District you're in. Not from anyone.

Let's have school choice, except not make it a choice and remove kids who are violent offenders to a different school. Fix that problem and then you don't need vouchers.
Abbyag06
Back in the day if you were in a fight you were sent to alternative school for weeks or months, if not the remainder of the school year. Now they expect all staff to be counselors to these kids. Most kids are good, some are not. Until there are consequences for their actions there is no reason for them to change their behavior.
I have a relative that works at the Brazos Juvenile Detention Center and I can tell you they get students from every district. Saying Bryan is worse than CS or any other is incorrect. We are all in this together and nothing will change until students are punished.
For reference, my daughter is a Senior at Bryan High, just under 4.0 GPA, and we are involved as much as we can be. Parents need to be involved and know what is happening with their students. The lack of respect for school staff I have witnessed from some parents is frustrating and infuriating. We can not expect the staff to manage all of our students without our help.
This is exactly why we have a teacher shortage. They should not have to put up with this on a regular basis and be required to be bouncers on top of working 50+ hours a week. My daughter has a friend that took a video of the fight close up. It began with two girls fighting and then just exploded. All faces are clearly visible. Those two students should be in detention the remainder of the year and not eligible to attend graduation if they are seniors. Once students know there are serious consequences for their actions maybe they will begin to change their behavior.
BCSWguru
Quote:

Those two students should be in detention the remainder of the year and not eligible to attend graduation if they are seniors.

No, they should be gone. Mr. Clark style. Maybe let them try again next year.
Ag97
AG
The answer for these problems isn't possible without the entire school system failing. No child left behind along with bad parenting and the welfare network have created this.

You can't really get bad kids out of school now days. Temporarily, yes, but not long term. If these kids are classified "special needs" which most of them are because they know how to work the system to get this designation, the federal and state governments say you can't kick them out of school and they must be put back in with regular students, for the most part. These school districts are dependent on state funding and the states are dependent on federal funding so they have to put these feral kids back with the rest of the normal students who are actually there for an education.

If you want to fix the problem, remove state and federal funding and only fund schools on a local basis. Let the schools do what needs to be done to remove the bad eggs and run a school instead of baby sitting service and juvenile detention facility. Take away the social welfare system run by an inefficient government. Make parents be responsible for their spawn by taking away all the incentives that allow them have children and raise them feral.

I think the only way forward is a failure and collapse of the whole system first.
angus55
Hornbeck said:

There were fights in school when I was growing up, but nobody had a camera phone to record it.

In my hometown, the parents have been known to post videos, and in some cases encourage such behavior.

The difference is the shear scale and number. And the fact staff is getting hurt. And staff is scared for their safety. The day something happened to my wife at Rudder was the **** was going to hit the fan.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
GottaRide
S
It's pathetic that I have to have a talk with my son that he has permission, and is expected, to step in to protect any teacher from being injured during one of these regular brawls. It is no wonder that it is so hard to find truly qualified teachers willing to do that job anymore.
Thisguy1
The teachers are running to break it up. Hell, one of the big names that was injured in one of these was injured running to the fight, not in the midst of it. They aren't squaring up trying to protect themselves. How do you go about telling your son to protect the teachers from trying to do their job?

Now if a student is attacking a teacher that's another story, but in the video I saw teachers are grabbing students and pulling them off and getting thrown around in the process.

There's many things going on that make me very happy my wife is no longer involved in the school system. The teachers having to go out of their way to make sure she was protected when she was pregnant worried me every day.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.