Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bending new tractor fuel lines….kinks

959 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by schmellba99
Jason_InfinityRoofer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a Mccormick British B450 that has hard diesel fuel lines. This is a late 1950's diesel and it's not a common tractor. Anyway, a couple of my fuel lines have pin holes in them and I want to replace them. I have 5/16 steel line and it's very hard to bend. My bending tool will do it, as will my slip on spring benders. The issue is that my fuel lines have very small radius 90 degree bends and I cannot duplicate that without the lines kinking. Even 45 degree bends are getting iffy. I rebuilt them by bending by hand and the only way to do it is to take some that is shaped like this: |__| and make it look like this: U. That's ok but it's not pretty. It fits and it will probably work but I feel like I can do better with the right tools or maybe just the right line. I used to us hard brake line but this time I bought 16' of steel fuel tube. It's hard to bend by hand.

What's the trick to getting nearly mandrel bent tight 90 bends on fuel line? Unfortunately? You can't just go buy a new one. This has to be made by hand like some artisanal tractor craftsman and stuff. What's the trick ?
jagsdad
Hmm. Why not just braze the holes on the old lines and keep using them? That's what I do on my M.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Jason, is a 1" radius on your bend sufficient, or do you need something tighter?

If so, McMaster-Carr shows this for $30 and it will do 5/16" fuel lines:

Multisize Tube Bender

I haven't used that one, but on some tight, tight lines we had to do on 1/2" copper those dedicated tools do a great job.

If 1" still isn't tight enough, you may just need to use an elbow, or find a pre-made piece with the required radius and piece it in with couplings.

BTW, glad to hear of an old tractor still in use. I'm running a '61 Ford diesel, but it could stand a clutch job that I keep putting off.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
jagsdad said:

Hmm. Why not just braze the holes on the old lines and keep using them? That's what I do on my M.

1. The line won't survive my brazing skills.

2. The compression ferrules have been crimped so far the nut can't compress any further, it's run out of threads. And they leak anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check those out. Like I said the ones I made are fine and they'll work, they just don't look great, not that anyone is really looking.
Trout
Why not just use copper tubing?
fburgtx
You can buy copper-nickel tubing on eBay. A little harder than copper, but bends like copper.
schmellba99
AG
DOM Stainless tubing and some tubing benders, along with Swagelok fittings.

You can also get 90 degree swagelok fittings if you can't put the correct bend in the lines. I made new hydraulic lines for one of my old tractors this way, even with a few ruh-roh's because I hadn't bent tubing in a minute and forgot where to mark the radius to start it ended up with a clean and leak free set of lines.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.