Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tall grizzly on my cam this morning

2,864 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Catag94
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the Absarokas along the North Fork of the Shoshone (a few miles from the East Gate of YNP)

ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's a big dude!

Looks like he has a stomach ache too
Birdbear
AG
Man it's gotta be so cool living in one of the wildest places in the L48
Catag94
AG
Nice. Looks healthy. What's growing there that he/she likes so much?
axan77
AG
If I lived there, no more going outside to take a leak after dark!
Catag94
AG
axan77 said:

If I lived there, no more going outside to take a leak after dark!

If you do that a lot, chances are you would have any Griz coming into your yard.
mhnatt
He was messing around this morning. Excuse the rubble. Our place was hit with a landslide a while back and we still are in repair.

Yeah, always watching the back when taking a leak. Try to avoid getting complacent and letting the kids play alone too far from the house.

McInnis
AG
I guess your place is near Pahaska? I was there last Sunday and hiked along Crow Creek Trail. There were a bunch of bear tracks starting pretty much at the trailhead. That's a nice trail if you get to it early enough in the spring before outfitters and their horses mutilate it.

Grizzlies in Yellowstone are overpopulated and keep moving east. We had one show up in the city limits of Cody last fall and just a couple of weeks ago the first grizzly appeared in the Big Horn Mountains in decades, near Ten Sleep, about two hours east of here. They're supposed to be delisted this year but I'm sure there will be years of court battles over that, like with the wolves.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I killed a big mule deer just north of your place. I finish cleaning it and sow and cubs were on it before i got to next ridge
mhnatt
We are about 5 miles east of Pahaska. My dad was among the many who roughed up that trail up along Jones Creek to Camp Monaco.

Yeah, they have been in the Cody city limits quite a bit recently (Paul Stock house, Beck lake). I guess you saw/heard of the one on the beach of the BB reservoir last week.

The delisting will eventually come, but not too soon (that MT judge stopped it a few years ago). I just hope it doesn't take an accident with a young child to get them to wake up. Especially my kids (though they are aware and stay close but you know how kids are).

These beast had thousands of years of man throwing spears and lead at them to keep them in check and now they have adapted to know that (most) two-legged things won't defend themselves.
Guitarsoup
AG
HEY BEAR
JFABNRGR
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

I killed a big mule deer just north of your place. I finish cleaning it and sow and cubs were on it before i got to next ridge

It was nice of her to wait for you to finish, before coming in to cleanup.
McInnis
AG
I sure had not heard of one spotted at the reservoir.

The one on Paul Stock trail last year was hazed north and a few days later I was walking my dog around the Newton Lakes and came across this.

JFABNRGR
AG
We hunt north of the park and right on a big change in density. On our drainage we see sign especially on the south side of the creek but no encounters or sightings, but 1-2 miles south in the next drainage multiple encounters annually including 1 killed in supposed self defense last year. This will be our third year and going twice this fall, so it will be interesting to see if they have made progress north. I am looking forward to seeing them and for those of you who know me that won't be surprising.
EllisCoAg
AG
And that's when I first saw the bear
He was a Kodiak lookin' fella 'bout nineteen feet tall
He rambled up over the hill
Expectin' me to do one of two things,
Flip or fly, I didn't do either one
It hung him up
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
McInnis
AG
JFABNRGR said:

We hunt north of the park and right on a big change in density. On our drainage we see sign especially on the south side of the creek but no encounters or sightings, but 1-2 miles south in the next drainage multiple encounters annually including 1 killed in supposed self defense last year. This will be our third year and going twice this fall, so it will be interesting to see if they have made progress north. I am looking forward to seeing them and for those of you who know me that won't be surprising.
They're spreading to the north for sure. Just a couple of weeks ago a shed antler hunter near Wolf Creek MT (just north of Helena) was charged by and killed a grizzly. Wolf Creek is about half ways between Yellowstone and Glacier NPs, so it could have come from either direction.

Now that Yellowstone's target grizzly population has been exceeded (1,100 estimated vs 700 targeted), the people who oppose delisting have already been moving the goalposts, saying they want a contiguous grizzle population between the two national parks. So in a way I was glad to see a grizzly show up at Wolf Creek.
JFABNRGR
AG
McInnis said:

JFABNRGR said:

They're spreading to the north for sure. Just a couple of weeks ago a shed antler hunter near Wolf Creek MT (just north of Helena) was charged by and killed a grizzly. Wolf Creek is about half ways between Yellowstone and Glacier NPs, so it could have come from either direction.

Now that Yellowstone's target grizzly population has been exceeded (1,100 estimated vs 700 targeted), the people who oppose delisting have already been moving the goalposts, saying they want a contiguous grizzle population between the two national parks. So in a way I was glad to see a grizzly show up at Wolf Creek.

That is correct, they and even I would like to see the two groups interbreed between the parks and flourish as an Apex predator. I am not against hunting them but believe they should be protected as a limited natural resource. I personally have no desire to hunt them, but will shoot in a last stand, after trying to confirm its not just a false charge. To have one walk by feet away, like in hundreds or thousands of previous encounters where both parties senses are going off the charts while both maintain their cool has to be a thrill of a lifetime.

I am glad you mentioned the shed hunter, I know one that works that area I need to text him and ask. If it is I will edit this post.
McInnis
AG
Here's the story.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/survival/montana-shed-hunter-kills-grizzly/

They don't give his name as is usually the case up here when a bear is killed by a human. For good reason.

Aggie Hunter
AG
Not sure if you can see them from this pic of us riding out.
JFABNRGR
AG
McInnis said:

Here's the story.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/survival/montana-shed-hunter-kills-grizzly/

They don't give his name as is usually the case up here when a bear is killed by a human. For good reason.

It wasn't him i just chatted with him. He did say his hunter killed a big black last week.

We hunted with this guy three years ago.

Catag94
AG
Pretty awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.