Outdoors
Sponsored by

Kentucky Derby is outdoors…

1,393 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Gunny456
Catag94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else going or been? I'd love to hear any recommendations!
TXAG 05
AG
We went about 10 years ago for a bachelor party had a great time. Honestly couldn't tell you what restaurants or bars we went to, it was all kind of a blur. There is an area downtown called 4th street live where there were bars and concerts.
MAROON
AG
Derby on my bucket list. I am going to The Preakness this year though. Should he fun.
bmfvet
AG
Going for the first time this year.
‘99
DW91AG95
AG
Went 2 years ago. Everything that had to do with the actually race was awesome!

Just be aware if you park at the Louisville football stadium parking lot, when the Derby is over 100,000 people get in their cars and leave. It took 3-4 hours to get out of Purple Lot C. There was no traffic control from Louisville PD at all. We pulled out of our parking spot and literally didn't move for another hour. I walked to one of the 3 exits to help another guy direct traffic out onto a small surface street that was backed up by a traffic light. No LEO anywhere. It was shocking how that was/was not handled for such a major event.
1Aggie99
AG
Wife and I went about 3 years ago. It was an awesome experience and definitely worth the effort. Here are few things I remember.

- We parked across the street in someone's yard. Imagine the houses south of GB on gameday and folks charging anywhere from $20-$100 bucks to park.

- The main race is next to last or possibly 2 races following. If you leave following main event you will be sitting. We stayed for the last race and it wasn't as bad. Still sucked but not as bad. Stadium parking is a hike.

- Once on the grounds, everything is included (food/beverage) wise from what I recall. Wasn't expecting that so cool. Everyone server will expect a tip so be prepared.

- Hats/pimped out looks all around so have fun with it.

- Even the ****tyest hotels jack rates, have events, shuttles, etc.

- We did not make it to the Oaks on Friday because it rained it's ass off. Not sure how that works.

- Good luck getting a reservation if you haven't already.
Catag94
AG
bmfvet said:

Going for the first time this year.

Us too. We are very excited. We are driving and making a week plus of it. We are headed out this morning to spend an out in Nashville.
Catag94
AG
Thanks for the great tips!
We plan to Uber and will stay through the last race. We will be there Friday for races and so I assume we will get a chance to make a better plan for Saturday!
Mesquite Bean
John Bellinger '76 has a horse running in the Kentucky Derby.
Just Steel - D. Wayne Lukas is the trainer.
Catag94
AG
Sweet! I was going to take the time to research owners and see if there were any Aggies but you beat me to it.
Just Steel is a pretty decent contender too.

Well, I don't think he will win, he certainly has the capacity to do it. I'm very well may likely have him in a superfecta.
Gunny456
AG
We have a very close friend who we trail ride with who owns a company that transports horses to the Kentucky Derby, Belmont and the Preakness.
He invited us to go with him and his wife to the Derby a few years back but that was when my mom was very ill and we had to pass. Always regretted it. However they invited us to a large trail ride in Kentucky and he took us to Claiborne Farms where Secretariat was owned and buried there. He knew the owner so we got to look at a lot of cool stuff.
My wife was in hog's heaven.
If you have the time it is worth it to go there. They do tours…etc.
Catag94
AG
Claiborne Farms is on the agenda. Also would like to go to the one where Justify an American Pharaoh or standing stud. We have to squeeze this in also trying to visit the Ark Encounter and the Buffalo Trace distillery.
Gunny456
AG
Sounds like a great trip! Wish we could go with you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.