Outdoors
Sponsored by

Steel Challenge

1,851 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by BenderRodriguez
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They started running matches early this year, so its time for the yearly "come shoot competition and get better" propaganda thread.

Every Thursday night from now until July or August, Temple Gun Club hosts a mini steel challenge match. It's 2 hours, 3 stages, and in my opinion is the single best way to get your feet wet with competition. If you aren't a local and can't come to our match, I highly encourage you to seek out a steel challenge match close to you and try it out.

The great thing about steel challenge for new to competition shooters is it doesn't require movement (other than one stage and its about a 4 foot shuffle from one box to another), doesn't even require drawing from a holster if you're shooting rimfire or pcc, and doesn't involve reloads on the clock. All you have to do is stand in a box, react to a timer *beep* and hit 5 steel targets of varying sizes and distances as fast as you can.

If you want to try it out and don't have the equipment required, reach out to me and I can help you out. Heck, I have a whole spare .22 pistol I am happy to loan if you don't own a gun that could be used for this kind of match.

If you have any questions about steel challenge rules, requirements, or even other types of competitions, feel free to ask.

Come shoot and get better.....but also, come have some fun.

Here's a stage from our first Thursday night match of the year last week.

jrb2019
AG
To pile on Bender's post, Capital Area Practical Shooters/Texas Shooting Academy in Florence also started their Tuesday evening Steel Challenge matches for the summer. I think they held them until September last year. They shoot 4 stages from 6-8pm. I try to make it to at least one of the two matches during the week. Both clubs have a weekend steel match once per month as well so plenty of opportunities in central Texas.

It really is the simplest style of competition to try out and yet it can be quite difficult to take that first step to get out and "compete". Can't encourage it enough. People are super friendly and helpful and we want the sports to grow (and people to be more competent gun owners). Most of all, it's just a lot of fun!

I got a bunch of new steel a week ago and I plan to hold an "Intro to Steel Challenge" class at my small range on 4 May if anyone is interested (north Coryell County). I'll cover the rules, equipment, stage layouts and we'll shoot 3-4 of the stages. I'm happy to loan equipment too.

So glad I got back into practical shooting and got into Run & Gun over the last year. Great ways to get better!
bigtexD
Does anybody have any leads on ranges or private land that host steel challenges near (hour or so) San Antonio?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Havent shot down there but SCCA has a "find a club" feature. Not sure how up to date it is (looks fairly current for centex), but at least gives you some clubs to contact to see if/when they are running matches.

https://scsa.org/find-a-club
bigtexD
Thanks Bender! I'm familiar with that range, so I will reach out to them.
BenderRodriguez
AG
bigtexD said:

Thanks Bender! I'm familiar with that range, so I will reach out to them.

Hope you can find one.

I need to make it out to that CAPs match by Florence with jrb, its not too far from me.
AG
Bender, I just came here to say that I will not rob your house.
Max06
AG
bigtexD said:

Does anybody have any leads on ranges or private land that host steel challenges near (hour or so) San Antonio?

AASA (American Action Shooting Association) has matches on the 2nd & 4th Saturday of each month at A Place to Shoot.

There is also Texas Outlaw Steel Challenge who hosts matches at Cedar Ridge Range.
BenderRodriguez
AG
4 said:

Bender, I just came here to say that I will not rob your house.

You think I'm fast, you should come to a match and watch me get my butt kicked multiple times over (including by JRB).

My stage run time was 9.39 total time for 4 runs.

Heres a guy shooting a similar gun on the same stage. His 4 runs are in a combined time of 5.96.

Its hard to really grasp how fast and accurately you can really shoot until you see someone else do it, which is a big part of why I'm always encouraging folks to try this stuff out.

I was practicing drills and taking classes and thought I was a good shooter. Then I went to my first match and I've been chasing the guys who are actual good shooters ever since.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's not a guy, that's the Baba Yaga!

Thanks for sharing! They have matches not too far from Katy at a range I already attend. I'm going to try and make a match or two this year and embarrass myself.
BenderRodriguez
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'm going to try and make a match or two this year and embarrass myself.

Not to dive deep into my personal brand of philosophical insanity too deeply, but there is no way someone who is either improving themselves or having fun (safely) is embarrassing themselves, ever.

The other reason I love steel challenge as the competition gateway drug is the crowd that shoots it is a huge swath of the shooting community.

You have the guys like me who are trying to push themselves faster, we have a group of retired friends that love coming out and making the slowest time in their friend group buy dinner for everyone after, 4h kids just getting into it, cops, mil guys, average gun owners looking for a new thing to get excited about at the range….

Your first time out a preteen girl and an obese geriatric on oxygen will smoke you, because they've done it before and you haven't. But no one will embarrass you for that or think less of you for it…because thats how all of our first matches went too.

I hope you make it out to one near you. Go sign up for one tonight and give yourself zero excuses. If you hate it, you can come back and laugh at how obsessed I am with them. But I havent met many folks who walk away thinking "wish I hadnt tried that".
ShouldastayedataTm
I can personally attest to the fun at the Thursday night matches with Bender. I took him up on the invitation a few years ago and had a blast at both I made. The second one was actually the first time I had shot the gun that I used that day.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm not really worried about embarrassing myself as everyone has to start somewhere. Should've more accurately said "humbled" myself, because that's really what it is.

Regardless, you only improve through practice and it won't hurt being around a bunch of way more advanced people than myself, most of which I am sure are good people willing to help.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Haven't bumped this thread in a few weeks.

We've been having a good time so far this year, and there are several Ags out shooting both targets and the bull most every Thursday.

Before I get to the videos: In the past, I've messed around with shooting different guns just for the hell of it, including stuff like my VZ61 Skorpion, etc. My big goal for this summer is pushing for A classification, so the only match videos I have so far are all Rimfire Pistol Open or Pistol Caliber Carbine Irons runs since I'm currently concentrating on moving from B to A in both of those divisions.

I won't finish it this year, but eventually I'd like to be at least A classed in every single steel challenge division (all 14 of them), and maybe in 20 years when the kids are out of the house I can upgrade that goal from A to M.

If none of that makes any sense: Because Steel Challenge is the same 8 stages for every match everywhere, the best times at the annual World Speed Shoot are used as "peak" time for each stage, or the fastest time possible. Using that time compared to your own times, you can get a rough idea of how good you are compared to everyone else shooting steel challenge nationwide.

95%-100% is Grand Master
95%-85% is Master
85%-75% is A
75%-60% is B
60%-40% is C
40%-0% is D

I'd love to show off nothing but fantastic runs and times...but there are some r-o-u-g-h 50% C times in the videos below to laugh at if you're into schadenfreude. I have excuses, of course. They don't matter.

Anyway, you don't have to be nuts like me chasing stupid made up letters to come out at have fun. I've never met someone who tried out steel challenge who didn't love it. Come on out and join us.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Hit A in PCCI with the MP5 clone this week.

BenderRodriguez
AG
BenderRodriguez
AG
Tried out a new spot for matches last night, CAPS down in Florence. Good range, had a lot of fun.

Also got my first M run on RFPO, which was fun.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.