Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tree purchase help

3,147 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by KWren12
evestor1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I live in Houston and need to purchase post oak trees. Only thing i can find is live root online.

Is there anywhere within a 2 hour drive where i can buy a live specimen?

Same for hickory
OnlyForNow
AG
What size tree are you looking for?
evestor1
As big as i can get.
RedBeardDude
You should call Texas Grown Tree Farm in Mexia.
Potential for them to have them or to get them.
agfan2013
AG
Here's a good outfit you can try: Glueck Tree Farm they're out on the west side of Houston.

You said within 2 hours so that would qualify B/CS area as well, the Farm Patch here in Bryan carries plenty of trees, so you could also call them but I'd think you should be able to find somewhere closer. The Farm Patch
Apache
AG
Quote:

need to purchase post oak trees
Curious why? Post Oak trees are seldom grown because it is extremely difficult to do so. They are finicky as all get out & very sensitive to overwatering or any sort of root disruption.

If you find someone who has any tree of decent size (doubtful) the tree will likely die despite all best efforts especially in a residential setting. Far, far better to select another Oak species than a Post.
FallsonbrazosAg91
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

Curious why? Post Oak trees are seldom grown because it is extremely difficult to do so. They are finicky as all get out & very sensitive to overwatering or any sort of root disruption.

If you find someone who has any tree of decent size (doubtful) the tree will likely die despite all best efforts especially in a residential setting. Far, far better to select another Oak species than a Post.

This^^^^
They ARE finicky. Just disturbing the soil around one may cause it to die.
I like post oaks. But they are also one of the slowest growing oaks too.
DoitBest
S
Try Verdant Tree Farm or Shades of Texas in the Houston area. I didn't see post oak listed on either site, probably for reasons listed above, but I think they would be good places to start.
HUEY04
AG
Any local Commercial Landscaper will be able to put you in touch with a good tree farm, there are many around Houston. When you say "as big as I can get", how big is your budget? We buy lots of trees and spend anywhere from $350 to $10,000 each depending on how big we need (and you can go much, much, higher than $10k).
OnlyForNow
AG
Enchanted Forest in Richmond May have them.
cupofjoe04
AG
Apache said:

Quote:

+3. Unless you have some specific need for a post oak, I would highly encourage looking at another wonderful oak variety.

I planted a Sawtooth Oak a few months ago, and it is doing REALLY well. I was a bit skeptical, but it was given to me as a gift so I planted it. Since then, I have noticed several in my area (N. Texas) and they have really grown on me (pun intended).
evestor1
I have an 7 post oaks and 3 hickory that do great!

Over the years i've lost more than 20 trees - only cedar elms, sweet gums, and pin oaks.

I am stuck in a hard spot b/c small trees block my view of the lake. One of my neighbors planted 4 live oaks in the late 90s and he can just now trim them up enough to see the lake.

I try not to plant anything under 30 gallon. Ideal is 45 and 65. Although, if i could find large post oak I think i would pay the big dollars for it (up to 5k)

If I cant find what i want i am going to scattered a few live root post oak and some Princeton elms for quick growth.
cryption
https://www.verdanttreefarm.com/

Verdant is who Randy Lemon would use as a sponsor. We've been out there a few times and they seem like a solid operation
Apache
AG
You're not going to find a big Post Oak.... not commercially viable products. I've never seen one specified on any of the commercial jobs bid over the past 25 years.

Bur Oaks have similar leaf shape, grow taller & more rapidly than Post Oaks and can be found in all sizes.
combat wombat™
AG
We have used Environmental Design just south of Tomball. BIG trees. Two red oaks, a sycamore, and three pines.
Courtesy Flush
AG
I second Gluek. Good people and reasonable prices. You will get much better quality by going straight to the tree farms.

There is also a tree farm in Glen Flora that has excellent trees. There are actually 2 tree farms in Glen Flora. One is called Big Tex but they only sell through their Houston location on I-10 just outside of the beltway. The trees there are very expensive but they won't sell directly to the consumer at the Glen Flora location. The one I recommend is also located in Glen Flora and they will sell direclty to the public.

My suggestion is to call Gluek first and if they don't have what you are looking for, let me know and I can send you the info for the tree farm in Glen Flora that sells to the public.
Sea Speed
AG
How hard is it to keep a planted love oak alive?
Serious Lee
moon valley nurseries? do they have a good reputation?
Sea Speed
AG
I get their ads in the mail all the time and I feel like they are wildly overpriced. We went and looked at one and ended up buying the same plants elsewhere for much less.
evestor1
Serious Lee said:

moon valley nurseries? do they have a good reputation?
Moon Valley is a great place. Most of the time their saleguys know as much as me...which is rare outside of RCW. You can buy a 25 year old Red Oak there for 20k if you desired that!

Live Oaks are no problem to keep alive ... although i'd just go buy a live oak from Houston Garden under 70% off sale coming soon. For lesser marketed trees there are several great places to go for up to 45 gallon trees.
Sea Speed
AG
Wildly late ddp
Sea Speed
AG
Yea ill hopefully be buying some live oaks soon. Good to know they will be on sale from Houston garden center soon.
Apache
AG
Moon Valley will happily sell trees that shouldn't be grown. These guys are in business plant trees, they aren't landscapers & in my experience they could give 2 sh*ts about what they put into the ground.

Case in point: they sold a customer of mine Ligustrums to use in a very narrow bed near a pool.
I pointed out to the homeowner that Ligustrums drop tons of berries (which will go into the pool) and attract birds that will crap over everything. (Also mentioned they are invasive)

Additionally Moon Valley sold another client of mine a Camphor Tree. Non-native, invasive tree from China that is poisonous. Also, it is only rated for survival up to Zone 9. Moon Valley planted the tree in Zone 8, so it died this past winter.

I came in after the fact & pointed out the drawbacks to what Moon Valley installed. My clients said the sales reps they dealt with sold them all the benefits of the tree & didn't say a peep about the negatives.

Hard pass, those guys suck.
Serious Lee
thats what i figured. curious what nursery Curteous Flush is talking about in Glen flora cause seems all the private ones that used to be there sold out to corporate like moon valley or everde.

Ive always kinda wanted to stop by that moon valley location though on my way through, just to see how they are gonna try and sell me on a 300 gallon peach tree that might have 2-3 years production left, if it fruits at all.
txags92
AG
Have you considered a Monterrey Oak? They grow fairly fast and straight, similar to a Red Oak, but are more tolerant of dry conditions.
Courtesy Flush
AG
Serious Lee said:

thats what i figured. curious what nursery Curteous Flush is talking about in Glen flora cause seems all the private ones that used to be there sold out to corporate like moon valley or everde.

Ive always kinda wanted to stop by that moon valley location though on my way through, just to see how they are gonna try and sell me on a 300 gallon peach tree that might have 2-3 years production left, if it fruits at all.
So I found out more. The tree farm that sells to individuals in Glen Flora is Moon Valley. I was not aware of that and I remember going to the Moon Valley location on I-10 and they explicitly told me that they do NOT sell directly to individuals at the Glen Flora location. They obviously don't want their Houston customers to drive an hour down the road to buy their trees.

MouthBQ98
AG
Before the drought I could have given you all the saplings you wanted. I had thousands in June on my property. Almost all are now crispy dry.
allMondjoy
Moon Nursery in Glen Flora near Wharton
BwdAg
AG
https://www.williamsontreefarm.com/about-us/
KWren12
I have all the trees you need in iola texas sir. We have an old tree farm with trees up to 35 years old. 9792559200 shoot me a text. Only looking for serious bulk orders at the moment because we have so many trees!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.