Outdoors
Sponsored by

The view from the lunch room today

34,090 Views | 145 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by marcel ledbetter
marcel ledbetter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had to go look at some rangeland in some rigged country today. I had a nice view for lunch! In pic number 2 you can see the road I took after lunch. I had to climb the utv over that ridge and several miles beyond. Pic number 4 is the view from that road looking up to where I ate lunch up on that rim.
It sure beats an office job!

XpressAg09
AG
What do you do and do you need an intern?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
He is obviously a logger and they are done in that area.
mosdefn14
AG
No yeti, must not pay very well
Wodanaz
AG
I could use some of this social distancing
marcel ledbetter
Here's where I was last week. There were some big trees in this area. Those ponderosas are really tall!
TikkaShooter
Quote:

I had to go look at some rangeland

This is what I also tell my wife when I'm going hunting.
insulator_king
AG
Sure looks like parts of New Mexico.
BreNayPop
AG
Sure looks like GMNP.
JSKolache
AG
Hazy from the fires?
marcel ledbetter
We were so hazy one day last week that it was apocalyptic. Visibility was about 1/3 mile and all the street lights came on. Today is the clearest day we've had in a couple weeks.

Here's the view at lunch today. The second one is a view of another pasture I inspected. Pictures can't show how awesome the view was or how high I was above the valley floor. I get to climb some steep,very rocky hills.

The last two pics are cans from an old camp (probably a cow camp) where they didn't have a can opener, just a big knife! Every can there was opened like this.

BoerneGator
AG
Marcel, how'd ya manage to get take-out delivered way the hell up there? Impressive!
marcel ledbetter
You can find a taco truck open for business in the most unexpected places!
marcel ledbetter
I forgot to get pics of today's lunch spot so here's a shot of a river where I wanted to eat lunch. The second pic is same river only several miles downstream and in the bottom of what used to be a reservoir. I was at least 20' below the waterline prior to the current drought.

BoerneGator
AG
You still like those Nehi belly washers with your lunch?
marcel ledbetter
Yep! They quench my thirst while I'm filing the rackers on the chain of my light weight McCullough (Stihl)!
cashag95
AG
California?
marcel ledbetter
Oregon. Here's the view at lunch today! The valley below is about seven miles away. It's an incredible view! Also, how big was the mule deer that made this track. Those are 8.5 boots.

bdgol07
AG
8.5? Those are big shoes for your adolescent child!
marcel ledbetter
Some pics from the last two days of work. The first is yesterday's lunch break view. Spectacular! I had to indirect a pasture in the bottom of a canyon. It was surrounded by juniper and sage but there was enough wateri in the canyon to support a incredible forest of old growth ponderosas pine! The next pics are views from a plateau above the canyon. I have one of the best outdoor jobs I could ever hope for.

marcel ledbetter
Not a bad view yesterday. A forty minute drive's six more by utv and a mile and a half hike and there I was! Excellent scenery and a pretty good job.

That dead ponderosa is almost five feet in diameter. Big, tall tree!

FTA03
AG
Oh yeah….well I saw a homeless man take a leak under the bridge at I-45 and Gulf Bank in Houston today!
BoerneGator
AG
What is it you do?
Ark03
AG
He cuts pulpwood, obviously.
BoerneGator
AG
Ark03 said:

He cuts pulpwood, obviously.
Knew he hauled it…has the truck n all.
marcel ledbetter
I put my stem degree to good use and got a seasonal job w/ the feds as a range tech. That means I go out and evaluate grazing land and water developments on public land. I was supposed to retrieve a water temperature probe in the creek in that canyon but the fellow that launched it last year took notes in gibberish instead of English so I couldn't interpret them enough to locate the probe. A second grader could illustrate a better site description than this guy. All the pictures I post are our public lands out here in Oregon. These are pretty bland snap shots. Some of the pics I posted are so panoramic and awesome they're impossible to capture on a cell phone camera.

It's not a high paying job, but I don't have to go anywhere for vacation. I'm already here!

I located two flocks of 30+ chukar within two miles of each other so I have high hopes for bird season!
marcel ledbetter
Some epic scenery today! The bottom pic is the mountain I was headed to. It's up in those clouds. The aspens are turning orange. The picnic table is eighteen miles up that mountain. The second pic is the view as I descended from under the clouds. The first one is just a scene on the drive home.

XpressAg09
AG
This man is making a helluvan effort to be the most hated poster on TexAgs.
Aggieangler93
AG
Love the pics. Keep em coming! I hope life never forces you to get a haircut and a real job!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
marcel ledbetter
This is a real job!
marcel ledbetter
Here's a few from the last two days. That juniper in pic 1 is almost five feet in diameter! It's gigantic and probably the second largest I've ever seen.

Pic 2 shows a grew non native invasive species that are terribly destructive on our public lands.
The next five are from an early 20th century cow camp. It was very well built. They even freighted in decorative trim and wood for built in cabinetry and doors. The wood on that shot of the old door is old growth Douglas Fir. It's very expensive if you can still find it. It's almost unobtanium. The last is a shot of the mountain I was on the other day in the snow. That mountain is still about fifteen miles away and the peak is several thousand feet higher than I was.

As I type this in the yard under my apple trees, it's full on fall and the sky is filled with several hundred cranes migrating south. The fall here in Oregon is absolutely the best!

marcel ledbetter
I didn't skip leg day today. I had to hike down in to this canyon. It took about 15 minutes to drop down into it and 45 to crawl out. This job will get you in shape! Lots of fresh deer and elk sign. Pic 5 is a shot of the slope as I held the camera perfectly plumb! Pic 4 is an old growth ponderosa stump logged about 20 years ago. Pic 2 and 3 are a huge old growth ponderosa that was well over 5 feet fbi. That's a big tree in this climate. I've seen some pushing 6-8 feet but they're very rare. The big ones were mostly logged off in the 50s and 60s. We lost a lot to forest fires in the last 30 years as well. The pics don't adequately capture how awesome this country is!

gwellis
AG
You still afraid to eat bananas?
Gil '91
agsalaska
gwellis
AG
Gil '91

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.