Acceptance letters gone out?

18,289 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by double b
Another Doug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sounds like the first round of non top 10% went out today
Ag9701
AG
I didn't know this. Top 4% is obviously auto admit to TAMU but not necessarily Mays from what I was told. Obviously, it is likely but I was told Mays does a holistic review.
12th Man Ag
AG
Ag9701 said:

I didn't know this. Top 4% is obviously auto admit to TAMU but not necessarily Mays from what I was told. Obviously, it is likely but I was told Mays does a holistic review.
This is incorrect. If you list Mays as your first choice and send in the application on August 1st, you will get into Mays. The only reason a Top 4% student would not get into Mays automatically is if they didn't list Mays as their first choice or wait too long to submit their application and it fills up. We were told they usually run out of slots mid to late October.
Ag9701
AG
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I was at Mays this past week and asked about this specific scenario. They specifically said the student is auto admit but not guaranteed admission to Mays. I didn't specifically ask about the app being sent in on Aug 1st however.

They also mentioned they get roughly 8000-8250 applications for roughly 1100 spots.
Prexys Moon
AG
Mays is first come first served.
NomadicAggie
AG
My son received his acceptance letter to the engineering school this week. Just outside of top 10.
Another Doug
AG
Whoop!
BoDog
AG
Stepson just got denied to Mays but on same day gets into Univ of Florida business. Go figure.

Cannot quite wrap my head around the fact that a Texas kid gets into a "more reputable" out of state program with more difficult admissions but yet gets denied admission to an in-state school.

For reference he is roughly top 18% (private HS in Dallas area) with a 1390 SAT. Oh well, I guess its time to visit Gainesville again.
Heisenberg01
AG
Don't be fooled. Getting into A&M and Texas for engineering or business school is as competitive as almost any other public school in the country (a few exceptions like UCLA, etc).
aggie93
AG
BoDog said:

Stepson just got denied to Mays but on same day gets into Univ of Florida business. Go figure.

Cannot quite wrap my head around the fact that a Texas kid gets into a "more reputable" out of state program with more difficult admissions but yet gets denied admission to an in-state school.

For reference he is roughly top 18% (private HS in Dallas area) with a 1390 SAT. Oh well, I guess its time to visit Gainesville again.
Have a Corps buddy who's daughter last year was denied for Mays and was accepted with a sizable scholarship to Kelley at Indiana which is a significantly higher rated program. It's crazy. She's crushing it and doing great up there.
"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Ronald Reagan
Mary Bailey
BoDog said:

UF admission decisions are already out?
BoDog
AG
Apparently....
Mary Bailey
BoDog said:

Apparently....
I thought they usually came out in February. I guess they're doing things different this year.
kyle field 94
AG
Can you expand on the mays rejection.

Does this mean that mays is already full?

I can't believe that your son received a rejection from A&M already, but maybe mays is full?
Another Doug
AG
He might not have gotten rejected, rather accepted to A&M but just not mays .
kyle field 94
AG
Ok that makes sense, but since engineering is the only program with a secondary review, this must mean that mays is full.

I don't think I have heard of people not getting into mays upon acceptance to A&M unless mays is full
12th Man Ag
AG
kyle field 94 said:

Ok that makes sense, but since engineering is the only program with a secondary review, this must mean that mays is full.

I don't think I have heard of people not getting into mays upon acceptance to A&M unless mays is full

Agreed. If you list Mays #1 and get into A&M, you get into Mays unless they are full. We were told they usually fill up by mid-October.
HECUBUS
AG
Ours got a pre-match acceptance to a TMDSAS school last week. He's going to be a doctor. Much rejoicing. Yay. If your kid goes this route know that Texas residents have a huge advantage for getting into Texas medical schools. Also, it's impossible to get into med school.

Edit: There's a disadvantage with out of state schools because the cost is two to three times higher than in state.

Edit: To make this ATM related… ATM is the only in state medical school in his top seven that has not invited him for an interview. Turns out that was wise of ATM. His second pre-match acceptance was one of his top two options. ATM was #6.
KatyAggie2000
AG
Our son got his acceptance into Mays yesterday. He was 11% so not auto but close. So not full yet...or maybe full now...hell, maybe he was the last one. Ha.
BoDog
AG
KatyAggie2000 said:

Our son got his acceptance into Mays yesterday. He was 11% so not auto but close. So not full yet...or maybe full now...hell, maybe he was the last one. Ha.
Good info and congrats. Do you mind sharing what his SAT/ACT score was?
KatyAggie2000
AG
BoDog said:

KatyAggie2000 said:

Good info and congrats. Do you mind sharing what his SAT/ACT score was?

94AGBQ
AG
My son was accepted to the university on October 18th. He received his acceptance to the college of engineering on the 23rd.

He's top 2% of his class of roughly 650 kids. And scored a 1340 on the SAT. I was surprised by the quick turn around/acceptance by the university.
Milkman96AG
Have acceptance letters for "outside top 10%, non engineering students" started coming out?
double b
AG
Milkman96AG said:

Have acceptance letters for "outside top 10%, non engineering students" started coming out?
Yes. I've had several clients admitted a few weeks ago. One client was within the top 25% admitted into Mays and another was around the 40th percentile and was admitted into economics.
Milkman96AG
Thanks for the info. Have an anxious kiddo who finished just outside of top 10% (as I'm sure many are) waiting for notification. We'll continue to keep our fingers crossed!
CoolAggie
AG
When do most acceptance letters go out for 12/1 applicants? Good luck to all your kids (or yourself)!
double b
AG
CoolAggie said:

When do most acceptance letters go out for 12/1 applicants? Good luck to all your kids (or yourself)!
The last round of full admittances will be sent within the next 2-3 weeks. After that, any offers are most likely either Blinn Team or Summer GAP program and will continue through the first week of March.
CoolAggie
AG
Thanks! Good to know.
danagolds
So at this point, Jan 23rd if they have not received acceptance, are the chances pretty low do you think? My daughter applied to the visualization program the first week of october and still hasnt heard. She is not top 10% 0r even 25% in her school, but is a 4.0 AP and honors classes student. Her best friend also hasn't heard and she has higher than a 4.0 from what i understand. This is the only program my daughter applied to so we are on pins and needles over here, but hopes are getting pretty low at this point. So just curious if anyone has gotten acceptance this late?
double b
AG
danagolds said:

So at this point, Jan 23rd if they have not received acceptance, are the chances pretty low do you think? My daughter applied to the visualization program the first week of october and still hasnt heard. She is not top 10% 0r even 25% in her school, but is a 4.0 AP and honors classes student. Her best friend also hasn't heard and she has higher than a 4.0 from what i understand. This is the only program my daughter applied to so we are on pins and needles over here, but hopes are getting pretty low at this point. So just curious if anyone has gotten acceptance this late?
I would expect that after this week, all of the full admittance decisions will have been made. I could be wrong, but this is my assessment based on information from previous years.

At this point, the odds are definitely diminishing, especially for her 1st choice major. However, it is tough to understand a student's odds for acceptance unless I am able to see their complete application since there are so many factors that go beyond just class percentile rank. Other factors include the following:

• Overall Academic Rigor & Senior Year Class Rigor (Did the student ease up? Does their rigor match well for the area/major of interest?)
  • SAT/ACT Test scores
  • AP Scores (Can further help bolster a students testing profile)
  • Level Commitment to activities and service
  • Leadership
  • Demonstration of Summer and Personal Enrichment Activities
  • Does the application represent some sense of intentionality & purpose to a major, career, or a skillset?
  • Strength of Personal Statement and Supplemental Essays

For those families eagerly awaiting updates, a promising indicator would be if your student is given the opportunity to express their interest in either the Blinn Team or the Summer GAP program. This suggests that your child is still in consideration and may receive a favorable response from TAMU. These decisions are expected to be ongoing through the first week of March.
danagolds
Thank you for the quick response. Thats what we were afraid of. We probably should have asked for help with her application. She only chose Visualization and didn't put a backup choice, which I understand now, is probably a big mistake. We also didn't add her SAT scores since it wasnt required because she was in, like the 95% for her english/writing, but did poorly on her math so her score was acceptable, but not as high as we would have liked. Basically, I think we made some mistakes on the application unfortunately.
AgGrad99
AG
Thanks for your post. It gives us a little hope.

If my son isn't offered Blinn Team or the summer program, do they get offered the option to go to a system school and transfer in...or is that just an option open to everyone?
UndercoverCop
UndercoverCop
We got an email today asking about interest in Blinn Team, to be put on a waitlist for full admission, or both.

I'm worried choosing "both" will result in not being offered either. My daughter will be starting with 33 hrs from dual credit course so I'm not sure if that will be a problem with the available Blinn coursework.

Any advice on this?
sosolik
AG
UndercoverCop said:

We got an email today asking about interest in Blinn Team, to be put on a waitlist for full admission, or both.

I'm worried choosing "both" will result in not being offered either. My daughter will be starting with 33 hrs from dual credit course so I'm not sure if that will be a problem with the available Blinn coursework.

Any advice on this?
https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/t/texas-a-m-class-of-2028-official-thread/3638092

This is a good thread to read through on the process and has some "experts" in the forum that seem to know all the ins/outs of the process.

If you select Blinn Team Only, you will get notified of admission within a couple of weeks. That being said, you will want to understand how the DC will impact Blinn Team program.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.