Low Rates Are Over

7,357 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Heineken-Ashi
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In a shock to no one on this board (outside of our leftist friends), ultra low rates are dead.

Quote:

https://www.wsj.com/economy/central-banking/why-high-interest-rates-could-be-here-for-the-long-run-c6670448?st=1caymw8rkhr1jix&reflink=article_copyURL_share

Quote:

At issue is the neutral rate of interest: the rate that keeps the demand and supply of savings in equilibrium, leading to stable economic growth and inflation. The neutral rate, sometimes called "r*" or "r-star," can't be directly observed, only inferred.

The persistence of strong demand doesn't necessarily mean neutral has risen; it may simply mean higher rates have yet to work their way through the financial system. Households and businesses, having locked in their borrowing at low rates, may be relatively insulated from the recent rise in rates.

Bold statement. Literally:

Quote:

Based on the resilience of economic activity to higher interest rates, "one conclusion you could draw is that r-star must be higher. Another conclusion you could draw, which I think is totally valid based on seeing the same set of information, is that the economy is just not that sensitive to interest rates," said Kris Dawsey, head of economic research at hedge-fund manager D.E. Shaw.

Biden and Dems directly responsible for this with an assist from Uniparty RINOS:

Quote:

There are several factors cited for why neutral may be rising: soaring government deficits and strong investment driven by the green-energy transition and an artificial-intelligence-fueled frenzy for electricity-intensive data centers. Higher productivity from AI could also lift long-run growth and the neutral rate.

Consensus is the new neutral rate will be double what it has been:

Quote:

Investors have already concluded interest rates aren't likely to return to the low levels that prevailed before the pandemic. Interest-rate futures suggest the fed-funds rate will stabilize around 4% in coming years.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Summary: Yes, everything sucks a whole lot more, so get used to it.

Thanks Evil Democrats and Spineless Republicans.

LGB.
waitwhat?
They shouldn't come back unless we have high savings to back the low rates. The low rates we had were artificial and inflationary. Now we're dealing with the painful effects of those low rates.

If Americans stopped consuming so much and taking on so much debt, and started saving more, we would see rates come down in a responsible way.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
YouBet
AG
waitwhat? said:

They shouldn't come back unless we have high savings to back the low rates. The low rates we had were artificial and inflationary. Now we're dealing with the painful effects of those low rates.

If Americans stopped consuming so much and taking on so much debt, and started saving more, we would see rates come down in a responsible way.

Well, let's not forget all the printing of money and completely unconstrained spending by the government at a current pace of $3T per year in new debt.
waitwhat?
YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

Well, let's not forget all the printing of money and completely unconstrained spending by the government at a current pace of $3T per year in new debt.

I think that's a drop in the bucket compared to the years of "quantitative easing" by the Fed.
" 'People that read with pictures think that it's simply about a mask' - Dana Loesch" - Ban Cow Gas

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." - Dr. Ron Paul

Big Tech IS the empire of lies

TEXIT
bmks270
AG
The interest rates and inflation are absolutely effecting the profitability of project financing. Making a lot of projects not profitable, especially with the inflation of raw materials, and therefore are reduced in scope or never executed on.
These economists don't actually build anything, they're theorists who don't know what is really going in business.
pfo
AG
waitwhat? said:

100% of inflation is being caused by federal gov spending money we don't have, borrowing more and more and printing more dollars into circulation.

100%
BigRobSA
And, this election, we're stuck with the same two morons that spent us here the most recently.

We're ****ed.
ChemAg15
AG
You can't spend your way to prosperity. We've overspent for far too long and now the chickens are coming home to roost.
Viper16
AG
Dr. Mephisto said:

Summary: Yes, everything sucks a whole lot more, so get used to it.

Thanks Evil Democrats and Spineless Republicans.

LGB.
you misspelled FJB!
#FJB

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
BudFox7
Complaining about inflation and high rates at the same time reveals ignorance.
YouBet
AG
waitwhat? said:

YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

I think that's a drop in the bucket compared to the years of "quantitative easing" by the Fed.

I think you are arguing that artificially low rates leading to spending by the populace far outweighs what the government has done?? That the governments part to play in this catastrophe is far outweighed by consumer actions?

Surely not? Have you seen how much money was printed and spent by the government since Covid? Since Obama?
No Spin Ag
BigRobSA said:

And, this election, we're stuck with the same two morons that spent us here the most recently.

We're ****ed.
Yep, and whichever side wins they'll have all the feels of their base while taking our country even further into the fiscal crapper.

Thanks, Boomers.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Funky Winkerbean
AG
BigRobSA said:

We're ****ed.

Congress controls the money
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Ironic, isn't it?

It seems like such a short time ago that we had central banks around the world (Germany's comes to mind) threatening to lower interest rates into negative territory. And, I think there was even some talk in the U.S. of that.

Imagine the concept of a negative time value of money, where you have the pleasure of paying the bank to hold your cash for you.
BigRobSA
Funky Winkerbean said:

BigRobSA said:

We're ****ed.

President signs off.

Unless you're saying Biden shouldn't be held accountable for spending since 21?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
BigRobSA said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

BigRobSA said:

We're ****ed.

President signs off.

I understand, but the large group (Congress) is supposed to be the metric to control the president. Another example of Congress doing what's best for them, not us.
Get Off My Lawn
Funky Winkerbean said:

BigRobSA said:

Funky Winkerbean said:

BigRobSA said:

We're ****ed.

President signs off.

I understand, but the large group (Congress) is supposed to be the metric to control the president. Another example of Congress doing what's best for them, not us.
And let's not forget that Blue States intentionally shut things down within their borders as a form of hostage situation for Trump. Either the Fed sent out stimulus or those states would've pinned every Covid death on the him not supporting a quarantine.

In hind sight; he should've called their bluff since he got unseated anyway, but the Blue State shutdowns were the impetus.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
I just got 6.79% on my truck loan the other day. Not great but considering the average is 8-9% I'll take it. Will likely refi in a year or two or whenever they drop.
Shoefly!
AG
YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

Consumers see congress and poopy drawers spend like drunken sailors, so they say" O hell why not!" Let the good times roll!
Picard
AG
Legalize-It-Ags said:

I just got 6.79% on my truck loan the other day. Not great but considering the average is 8-9% I'll take it. Will likely refi in a year or two or whenever they drop.

You thinking the rates are going to drop significantly again is both hilarious and a significant indicator of how wrong most Americans are.
AggieDruggist89
AG
One of the lagging indicators of the interest rate change is the real estate price. Will we see a major decrease in RE price?
Aglaw97
AG
YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

I think you are arguing that artificially low rates leading to spending by the populace far outweighs what the government has done?? That the governments part to play in this catastrophe is far outweighed by consumer actions?

Surely not? Have you seen how much money was printed and spent by the government since Covid? Since Obama?

Y'all are both right but the rate needs to settle somewhere above free money. Greenspan championed this after the Great Recession but it was too much of a free money decade. The rate should not be close to zero and QE shouldn't be the norm, and the government should stop printing money.
Wycliffe
Personally I don't think so. The price of homes isn't increasing, the vslue of the dollar is plummeting.
YouBet
AG
Aglaw97 said:

YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

YouBet said:

waitwhat? said:

Y'all are both right but the rate needs to settle somewhere above free money. Greenspan championed this after the Great Recession but it was too much of a free money decade. The rate should not be close to zero and QE shouldn't be the norm, and the government should stop printing money.
I completely agree; I'm just perplexed at the claim that government actions are a drop in the bucket compared to consumer actions. That is just illogical if that is what he is claiming that is.

As of two years ago, we had printed 80% of all US dollars since 2020. That number has only gone up in the last two years especially since we are running a pace of $3T printed every 100 days.
94chem
Picard said:

Legalize-It-Ags said:

You thinking the rates are going to drop significantly again is both hilarious and a significant indicator of how wrong most Americans are.

Yep. 6.79% on a rapidly depreciating asset is an amazing deal.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
rgleml
AG
You're welcome. Our country wouldn't be as great as it is without us boomers.
Heineken-Ashi
Ribeye-Rare said:

Ironic, isn't it?

It seems like such a short time ago that we had central banks around the world (Germany's comes to mind) threatening to lower interest rates into negative territory. And, I think there was even some talk in the U.S. of that.

Imagine the concept of a negative time value of money, where you have the pleasure of paying the bank to hold your cash for you.

Do negative rates actually lead to depositors paying to give banks their money? If so, banks wouldn't get any money. It would all be invested, will have fled to other markets, or already be gone due to widespread banking turmoil. Negative rates are a last ditch effort in troubling economic times to try and stimulate a depressed borrower class. The lender would be paying the borrow interest for the borrower to borrow money. Essentially begging the borrower to please borrow money. If you ever see this happen here, it will be BECAUSE deposits have fled and the FED has stepped in completely with newly printed money. And it will only happen after rates are slashed to zero with the economy and markets failing to stop going down. Before it gets to that, there will be bail ins. They won't let all the money leave and banks fail to get to the point of negative rates.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
General Jack D. Ripper
Legalize-It-Ags said:

Lol! Even if rates drop, they finance used cars at a significantly higher rate. They usually require GAP insurance as well. Good luck.
Imagine living at the end of civilization. Imagine that you can buy dog ice cream for your best friend.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
Picard said:

Legalize-It-Ags said:

In two years? Assuming trump gets into office, I don't think that's unrealistic. If trump doesn't get elected… well… I'm glad I got the rate I did then
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
General Jack D. Ripper said:

Legalize-It-Ags said:

Lol! Even if rates drop, they finance used cars at a significantly higher rate. They usually require GAP insurance as well. Good luck.

Thanks. Gap is usually only like $300 and I would just get that added into the loan. So not a big deal.
Legalize-It-Ags
AG
94chem said:

Picard said:

Legalize-It-Ags said:

Yep. 6.79% on a rapidly depreciating asset is an amazing deal.

Trucks maintain their value better than cars. It's depreciating but I put a lot down so I didn't have to finance a ridiculous amount.
Sea Speed
AG
I recently bought a tractor at 0% financing for 72 months. This particular tractor was the only one out of the 10 or so I looked at that the dealer was not charging an additional 3 or 4% fee for financing with 0% interest. I was very surprised at them not charging that fee so I jumped all over it. It was a previous model year and inventory that one dealer got from another that closed which may have had something to do with it. I dont think that a lot of folks realize that finance price is usually different than cash price a lot of times. I looked at outside financing and it would have been cheaper to pay the financing fee of ~3% to get 0% interest than to get financing from a bank or credit union.

I honestly don't remember why I started telling that story, but I went through the effort to type it out so it will remain.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Your dealer more than likely paid the fees out of his profit.
Sea Speed
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Your dealer more than likely paid the fees out of his profit.

That would make sense, because I was very caught off guard when they told me this particular one was not subject to the financing price but rather the cash price. Gotta do what you gotta do to move inventory I guess. Wish I would have bought one earlier though, already been so helpful around the place.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.