SpaceX and other space news updates

1,010,933 Views | 12580 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by ABATTBQ11
Kceovaisnt-
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No one was expecting for Ship 31 to fly in June. Assuming all ships fly, this one will be on Flight 6. I doubt this incident affects Ship 29.
lb3
AG
That's disappointing if it impacts this next flight. The plan was to complete the launch before Memorial Day.
nortex97
AG
Ah, you are right, it's 29 planned for IFT4. Thx.
PJYoung
AG
nortex97 said:

Boeing proposes…SLS for Mars sample return mission…in response to Nasa seeking a lower cost option. Seriously.

Quote:

Green did not offer a budget estimate for the Boeing concept, which he said still must undergo a cost analysis.

With lower-cost super heavy-lift rockets on the horizon, it seems like the Space Launch System has a finite shelf life. Using the SLS is probably the best chance NASA has to fly astronauts to the Moon in this decade, but by the 2030s, large reusable launchers like SpaceX's Starship and Blue Origin's New Glenn should be flying regularly.

SpaceX's Starship, mostly developed with private funding, is the vehicle Elon Musk says will send people to Mars. Sending Starship beyond low-Earth orbit will require the mastery of in-space refueling, something SpaceX and NASA are working on together because the agency selected Starship as the first human-rated lunar lander for the Artemis program.

Abraham Maslow's axiom"if the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail"rings true with Boeing and the Space Launch System. Boeing pushed for NASA to use the SLS rocket to launch the Europa Clipper mission to explore one of Jupiter's icy moons. Ultimately, NASA decided on a launch aboard SpaceX's Falcon Heavy rocket later this year at a fraction of the cost.
On ship 31 during the cryo testing above, apparently the raceway burst open;

I haven't seen/read any informed speculation, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would suspect something got 'wet' that shouldn't from condensation build up (whose job is electrical) and then it fried out/burst. Again this is just my uninformed speculation but I'd guess they can repair this fairly quickly, and June launch is still plausible. I also think they have a few more upper stages built which could sub in for 31 if they want.
Ship 29 is the June launch ship.

Then 30 THEN 31. Maybe September or August if we're lucky?

nortex97
AG
Pentagon notices there aren't a lot of Vulcan launches this year, either.
Quote:

"I am growing concerned with ULA's ability to scale manufacturing of its Vulcan rocket and scale its launch cadence to meet our needs," he wrote in the letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Washington Post. "Currently there is military satellite capability sitting on the ground due to Vulcan delays."...

ULA originally won 60 percent of the Pentagon's national security payloads under the current contract, known as Phase 2. SpaceX won an award for the remaining 40 percent, but it has been flying its reusable Falcon 9 rocket at a much higher rate. ULA launched only three rockets last year, as it transitions to Vulcan; SpaceX launched almost 100, mostly to put up its Starlink internet satellite constellation. Both are now competing for the next round of Pentagon contracts, a highly competitive procurement worth billions of dollars over several years.
This is as 'surprising' as inflation figures, and New Glenn's launch cadence.
PJYoung
AG

Quote:

SpaceX won an award for the remaining 40 percent, but it has been flying its reusable Falcon 9 rocket at a much higher rate.

Lol. Much higher rate? Yeah. 100 to 3.
lb3
AG
Berger has the story here:

YellowPot_97
AG
lb3 said:

Berger has the story here:

And I seem to think the three way I have planned with Margot Robbie and Gal Gadot isn't going to happen either.
Decay
AG
The government admitting defeat of something four years out is pretty groundbreaking though. They've probably got tens of billions more they could throw at it!
PJYoung
AG
OKCAg2002
AG
It's almost funny at this point.
ChemAg15
AG
Imagine being the guinea pig that's riding to space on the perpetually delayed rocket. How much confidence can you have?
chiphijason
AG
I wonder if the Air Force will make Soace X sell engines to ULA. The stats are fairly close to the BE-4. That would be the final insult to Bezos. The best argument against it is that you don't want to be locked into a some source like with the RD-180.
lb3
AG
I don't see how SpaceX could be convinced to bail their competitors out. They would be more likely to give the military a discount than to share their tech with Blue.
nortex97
AG
Just let BO buy some 'lightly used' F9's.
ABATTBQ11
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Imagine being the guinea pig that's riding to space on the perpetually delayed rocket. How much confidence can you have?

Something something millions of parts by the lowest bidder
First Page Refresh
Page 360 of 360

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.