*** CHALLENGERS *** (Zendaya)

7,187 Views | 106 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by agdoc2001
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Challengers definitely isn't for everyone.

It takes place in a somewhat heightened, exaggerated world, is dripping with over-the-top sexual tension, and half the movie is basically the beach volleyball scene from Top Gun. (Luca Guadagnino, the film's director - the same director behind Call Me by Your Name - is gay, and while the movie itself isn't "gay," Guadagnino certainly loves shooting his two, often shirtless, male leads.)

But man, it's also such a fun sports movie, is incredibly unique, with never boring, back-and-forth pacing (just like a tennis match), both among the love triangle and between the various timelines, all expertly engineered to culminate in a fantastic third act, all propulsively scored by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. To the point where the audience was amped coming out of this thing. In fact, we saw multiple women literally fanning themselves in exaggerated fashion, from how "hot" it all was, as we left the theater.

Anyway, again - it can definitely be weird, melodramatic, and in your face. But it's also absolutely worth the time if you're into this sort of thing, and in IMAX to boot, this weekend/the rest of the week.

Big thumbs up from me.

Challengers
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16426418/
April 26, 2024
Theatrical Exclusive

batchuser
Jesus Christ
TCTTS
maroon barchetta
"propulsively scored"

TCTTS
AG
Does your sad little obsession with always trying to mock me ever end?

It's Trent Reznor and Atticus Toss. Two of the best composers in the game. Essentially doing house music for a sports movie. It's fun. It's fast paced. It's propulsive

Captain Winky
I saw the preview and have never been less interested in a movie than I was with this one.
TCTTS
AG
Quote:

Challengers definitely isn't for everyone.
Captain Winky
I might have to check out the soundtrack at the very least. Thanks for making me aware of that aspect.
maroon barchetta
No. It's just that you write it like you hope it's going to be quoted on a poster at the movie theater.

Unless you copy and paste that in other forums or social media, it's a little over the top for the TexAgs Entertainment forum.
TCTTS
AG
I'm simply trying to give as much information as I can in as few words/paragraphs as I can. I'm under no delusion that a f/cking message board reaction is going to be quoted on a poster.
maroon barchetta
Well, post that somewhere else and see if it can get picked up!

Don't let this be the only place your words get seen!
The Porkchop Express
maroon barchetta said:

Physician, heal thyself.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
Your obsession needs to be studied. Major strides in psychiatry could be achieved in what they learn from you.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Enjoyable movie, if a little too long and with a little too much slow-mo.

NIN's score is their best since Social Network, easily. Probably one I'll be rocking during work for the next few months.

At first I didn't like how it ended, but within a few minutes I realized it was kind of a perfect ending.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, it's actually kind of shocking when you think back and realize there's no actual sex in the entire movie. But the stuff they do show, and just the whole vibe of the movie, makes it feel like there is. (But fair warning, there is male genitalia.)

Tennis being the metaphor for sex in the movie is very much the point though, I feel.
TCTTS
AG
Same.

15 minutes could have easily been shaved off this thing without losing any story at all. The fact that it still moved fast overall was impressive.

And yeah, right there with you on the ending. At first you're like "Wait, what?" Then you quickly realize how perfect/brilliant it is.
Another Doug
AG
maroon barchetta said:

I just want to say TCTTS makes this board go round and consistently gives good insider content. You on the other hand, I don't know who you are.
Cliff.Booth
Why/how "Zendaya" gained so much traction in the industry is beyond me. Genuinely don't get it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I do have to say, as someone who's basically indifferent to her, this is easily the best she's been in any movie I've seen. (Though I've not seen Euphoria.)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Weird/fun facts I learned about the screenwriter after the movie.

1. This is his first screenplay.
2. He is Celine Song's husband, so he's the white husband in Past Lives, IRL.
3. He's this guy...
TCTTS
AG
I can understand this reaction if you've only ever seen her prior movies. But she's incredible in Euphoria, for which she's won two Emmys, and deservedly so. And here, in this movie, she absolutely sells the no nonsense, success-obsessed tennis phenom. She's really, really good.
TCTTS
AG
Another Doug said:

maroon barchetta said:

I just want to say TCTTS makes this board go round and consistently gives good insider content. You on the other hand, I don't know who you are.

Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

I can understand this reaction if you've only ever seen her prior movies. But she's incredible in Euphoria, for which she's won two Emmys, and deservedly so. And here, in this movie, she absolutely sells the no nonsense, success-obsessed tennis phenom. She's really, really good.
Yeah I'm sure she's great and all.

But my generation gave us Wild Things. Your generation gives us a tennis movie, with no real sex scenes, and two dudes.

/old man waves fist at clouds

maroon barchetta
The scenes in the closing credits of Wild Things were a great addition.
maroon barchetta
I'm pretty crushed.
Unemployed
AG
maroon barchetta said:

No. It's just that you write it like you hope it's going to be quoted on a poster at the movie theater.

Unless you copy and paste that in other forums or social media, it's a little over the top for the TexAgs Entertainment forum.
Are you a woman?
maroon barchetta
How I identify from hour to hour is acceptable in 2024.
TCTTS
AG
Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

But my generation gave us Wild Things. Your generation gives us a tennis movie, with no real sex scenes, and two dudes.

My generation?

I saw Wild Things, in the theater, when I was 17.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

My generation?

Post it on TikTok, young man!
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
double aught
AG
maroon barchetta said:

The guy loves movies, and you wanna s*** on him for it. Seems like poor form.
Urban Ag
AG
lighten up Francis is was just a (apparently not very good) joke.

But geez, we're a lot closer in age than I thought. My bad.
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

My generation?

His point stands.

Your generation consumed Wild Things. The generation before produced it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm the exact same age the characters are meant to be in the movie, so I found that helpful in placing myself in the different years with all the time jumping and figuring out how old they're supposed to be.

I also lived in Long Island for most of the 2010's, so the 2019 scenes sort of took me back to that.

And weirdly, the relationship between the two guys sort of reminded me of me and a friend of mine who I've known since sixth grade, so pretty much the exact length of time they know each other as well. We lived together for two years of college also, and we still keep in touch to this day.

Obviously without all the gay sexual tension. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) And oddly, we've never gone after the same girl, either.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I'm the exact same age the characters are meant to be in the movie, so I found that helpful in placing myself in the different years with all the time jumping and figure out how old they're supposed to be.

I also lived in Long Island for most of the 2010's, so the 2019 scenes sort of took me back to that.

And weirdly, the relationship between the two guys sort of reminded me of me and a friend of mine who I've known since sixth grade, so pretty much the exact length of time they know each other as well. We lived together for two years of college also, and we still keep in touch to this day.

Obviously without all the gay sexual tension. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) And oddly, we've never gone after the same girl, either.
So just some of the gay sexual tension.
maroon barchetta
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.