The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst - Part 2

2,212 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by AJ02
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

In! This series is so good for those who haven't yet seen it.

April 21st for those who want to watch part 1.
Noblemen06
AG
The end of The Jinx was the most shocking moment of television I've ever watched. My wife and I still talk about it years later.

I didn't know there was a second series coming - thanks for sharing! Looking forward to this.
Know Your Enemy
AG
He did it all for the nookie.
Tobias Funke
AG
Same. There's no way they are going to top that but I'm interested enough to watch more.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I watched episode 1 last night. Just as good as the first.

This is only a weekly release schedule and it comes out Sunday nights, late. I think its 9PM eastern.
AJ02
AG
Well, I needed a new documentary to watch. So I started season 1 last night.
20ag07
It will be interesting to see where this one goes. Like, I don't think HBO would put it on if Jarecki didn't have something.

But S2 is underwhelming without actually having Durst, which was what made S1 so compelling. Now we're relying on tapes, and a ton of those weird shots of a grey haired stand in shot from behind…it's not the same product. I'm interested to see where this lands.
TXAG 05
AG
Noblemen06 said:

The end of The Jinx was the most shocking moment of television I've ever watched. My wife and I still talk about it years later.

I didn't know there was a second series coming - thanks for sharing! Looking forward to this.

Was it really that shocking?. They had foreshadowed him saying things he shouldn't while mic's up. Plus did anyone think he was innocent?
Noblemen06
AG
Yeah, it was. It was appointment television for us and seeing the ending "live" was shocking. Literal silence in the room and slack jawed for a few moments.
TXAG 05
AG
I guess we are just wired different. The confession just didn't move the needle for me since it was so obvious he did it.

It's interesting. If he hadn't reached out to the director in the first place, there wouldn't have been this show and would have got away with it all, and probably killed again, and there may be other victims out there no one knows about. Too bad he never revealed what he did with Kathy's body so that they could try to find her remains.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Episode 1 was pretty good, but was pretty much a rehash of season 1. Curious to see what tonights episode has in store.
BadMoonRisin
AG
And it was also super bizzare that Robert was just casually watching the show and talking about it.

It wasn't until the misspelled note where he thought "oh ****, they've got me dead to rights" and fled.

And he was hauled in the day before the infamous finale where he confessed on a hot mic.

I just cant imagine sitting there watching that show....and the show is about you being a serial murderer.
DG-Ag
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

And it was also super bizzare that Robert was just casually watching the show and talking about it.

It wasn't until the misspelled note where he thought "oh ****, they've got me dead to rights" and fled.

And he was hauled in the day before the infamous finale where he confessed on a hot mic.

I just cant imagine sitting there watching that show....and the show is about you being a serial murderer.
I'm a dummy I admit - but did the producers give law enforcement an advance viewing of the final episode?
You're from down South,
And when you open your mouth,
You always seem to put your foot there.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I dont think the final episode, but the producers did say they sent the matched misspellings of BEVERLEY HILLS on both notes to law enforcement and I believe that's what potentially caused them to tail him.

When the episode came out, he started pulling out just slightly less than $10k at each ATM about 10 times, had a revolver pistol, and some sort of mask disguise, and started heading East. I think maybe he was hoping to either wear the mask and take a flight, or pay someone on a boat to take him to Cuba.

TXAG 05
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

the weirder thing is that he would have known about the letter for a while, because that interview where they confronted him about it would have been a long time before the episode aired. Maybe he didn't think much of it at the time, but seeing it all presented on tv made him realize he needed to disappear.

Something else that I found interesting, which I don't think was mentioned in the show is that Durst was having an affair with Prudence Farrow(sister of Mia and the subject of the Beatles song, Dear Prudence) Kathie before they were married and after her death. Supposedly Prudence told him she wouldn't persue the relationship while Robert and Kathie were still married, then a month later, Kathie was gone.
TXAG 05
AG
DG-Ag said:

BadMoonRisin said:

I'm a dummy I admit - but did the producers give law enforcement an advance viewing of the final episode?

They said they didn't even know they had that bathroom recording until like 2 years later when they were doing the editing/production for the episode.
Joan Wilder
AG
Durst made a comment to the cops after his first wife's disappearance to the effect of "I didn't expect you to CHECK the alibi I gave you" when they easily discovered he lied. He dismembered his friend and threw him in Galveston bay and got away with it. He was watching the doc every week and probably thinking "I'm so clever no one will pin anything on me." When he saw the notes side by side he finally figured it was time to run.

The supporting cast of weirdos in this story just keeps growing.
DG-Ag
AG
TXAG 05 said:

DG-Ag said:

BadMoonRisin said:

They said they didn't even know they had that bathroom recording until like 2 years later when they were doing the editing/production for the episode.
Must've missed when they said that. The timing of when all the events portrayed happened sometimes confused me I have to admit.
You're from down South,
And when you open your mouth,
You always seem to put your foot there.
20ag07
This is just really hard to watch, compared to other stories of this ilk.

They are relying too much on phone calls, played on top of simulated shots.

They just don't really have anyone to tell the story, which is what usually makes these things work.
OKCAG02
AG
I watched the first season…why did they make a second one? Is there new evidence? Durst is dead now, right?
20ag07
There HAS to be something.

Or I just can't imagine HBO green lighting this.

Jarecki admits, in this episode, to being "obsessed" with this for 17 years. If he's got it, he ain't giving it to us yet,

But HBO isn't known to pay for a nothing burger
TXAG 05
AG
So far, I see this as more of a companion piece to the first season. I would think any great revelation in the case would be public knowledge by now, but who knows. Like you said, there has to be some good reason for this, the original season came out almost 10 years ago, so it's not like they rushed this into production to capitalize on the first seasons popularity.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I have fallen asleep watching all 3 episodes, so that can't be a good sign. But yes, it's basically a rehash told in a much less compelling manner since Durst is only on prison phone and most conversations are just boring chat with his wife. His buddy Nick Chavin is also a loon, but a boring loon.

That said, I'll keep watching since sunday night tv sucks right now anyway
AJ02
AG
I didn't follow this case at all in real time, so I honestly have no clue what happens. Didn't know a thing about the Galveston murder. I didn't live in Houston at the time. I've made it a point to stay away from anything on the internet about Robert Durst.

So for me the documentary is pretty exciting. Not knowing what boneheaded thing he's going to slip up and say/do, or how badly the DA is going to fumble a case and let him walk.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.