2024 Books Read

21,278 Views | 235 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by YouBet
Wolfpac 08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finished Game of Thrones (book 1 ASOIAF). Really, really good. Especially considering I already knew what happens, it still kept me on the edge of my seat. I could see it being a more difficult read had I not already been familiar with the characters and settings…but man I can't imagine what it would have been like to read it not knowing the ending.

On to Clash of Kings. This is a long one…I'll see you all on the other side. Winter is coming.

Read in 2024:

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
Fairy Tale - Stephen King
The Shining - SK
A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara
Game of Thrones - GRRM

Up next:
A Clash of Kings - GRRM
BQ2001
AG
I got on an Asimov kick this year reading the 3 Robot books and just about finishing up the 6 Foundation books.

Also read 2 books by DJ Molles (Terminus and Sanctuary) in the Lee Harden series. I've been reading that series a while and always enjoy them. It's a Zombie/post apocalyptic series, but less about the zombie stuff overall now and more of survivors now. Fast, easy reads if you are into that genre.

I think I'm starting the Hyperion series next, always have wanted to dig into that one.
cmk10
AG
Read Flowers for Algernon for the first time... I knew the ending was coming, but man that was sad...
Another Doug
AG
cmk10 said:

Read Flowers for Algernon for the first time... I knew the ending was coming, but man that was sad...
If you need a pick me up watch The "Flowers for Charlie" episode of Always Sunny
cmk10
AG
That is a great episode!
The Marksman
AG
Death of Kings(Saxon Stories Book 6) by Bernard Cornwell
texsn95
AG
Just finished "Holly" by King, not a fan. The political interjections were way over the top.
G.I.Bro
texsn95 said:

Just finished "Holly" by King, not a fan. The political interjections were way over the top.

The Last book in the gwendy trilogy got political. Wish he'd go back to doing cocaine
Another Doug
AG
texsn95 said:

All off his books now show his obsession with Trump, oh look the hero has to stop a political demagogue with his ESP powers so he won't destroy the world. Go back to writing child orgies moran.
YouBet
AG
G.I.Bro said:

texsn95 said:

The Last book in the gwendy trilogy got political. Wish he'd go back to doing cocaine

I miss Cocaine King.
Eliminatus
AG
YouBet said:

G.I.Bro said:

texsn95 said:

I miss Cocaine King.
There are only two authors I have found whose outside opinions bleed enough into their work that I cannot stomach the books anymore. RF Kuang and King. Oh how the king has fallen.
texsn95
AG
G.I.Bro said:

texsn95 said:

I'm a huge SK fan (for the most part) and have never heard of that series, I'll have to add it to the queue.
Bigfootisreal
texsn95 said:

Same thoughts and I so looked forward to that book! No real supernatural stuff but take shots at meat eaters, trumpers, and anti-vaxxers!
Diggity
AG
yeah, the covid stuff was obnoxious and has not aged well.
YouBet
AG
That car accident jacked him up mentally and physically.
HawthornAggie
AG
Finished Dune. Now I am trying to decide whether or not to reread Dune Messiah or try a new book.
YouBet
AG
The Year of Dresden rolls on....

Completed YTD:

Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries #6)
Supernova in the East IV
Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
Dead Beat (The Dresden Files #7)
Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files #8)
White Night (The Dresden Files #9)
Small Favor (The Dresden Files #10)
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files #11)
Changes (The Dresden Files #12)
Side Jobs (Stories from the Dresden Files #12.5)

Ghost Story (The Dresden Files #13) - just finished

Currently Reading:
Brief Cases (The Dresden Files - second anthology of short stories)
Supernova in the East V - Dan Carlin
Lives of the Stoics (The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius) - Ryan Holiday and Stephen Hanselman
13B
I have #17, 18 & 19 left to read on Dresden. How are you liking them?

Started the Raven's Shadow series by Anthony Ryan. Not bad.
YouBet
AG
13B said:

Love them so far. Just a blast of a series.
Eliminatus
AG
13B said:

Really interested in what you think when you get to books 2 and 3. I absolutely loved Blood Song and was keen to dig into the rest of them when some life distractions took over and when I got back to thinking about them, my sister had mentioned her major disappointment with them which led me to never getting around to ordering them myself as I trust her views. I normally never both with reviews and whatnot but peeked around and it seemed to be a general consensus across the board. With some even entering the "WTF happened" realm by the end of the third book. Still think about them from time to time though.
YouBet
AG
Eliminatus said:

13B said:

Really interested in what you think when you get to books 2 and 3. I absolutely loved Blood Song and was keen to dig into the rest of them when some life distractions took over and when I got back to thinking about them, my sister had mentioned her major disappointment with them which led me to never getting around to ordering them myself as I trust her views. I normally never both with reviews and whatnot but peeked around and it seemed to be a general consensus across the board. With some even entering the "WTF happened" realm by the end of the third book. Still think about them from time to time though.

If I recall, I think I read this series or one of his and it started out amazing and then, yes, it absolutely sucked by the third book or so. Pretty sure this is the guy.
The Dog Lord
AG
Stormlight #3: Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
Dawnshard by Brandon Sanderson
Stormlight #4: Rhythm of War by Brandon Sanderson
The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson in-progress

Took me over 2.5 months to read the first 2/3 of this one and then a few days to read the last 1/3. I guess the Sanderlanche got me with that one.

Overall, I enjoyed it as always. This one really sets some major things up, so I'm glad I only have to wait until December for the next one. Going to be a long wait after that though until he does the last 5 Stormlight books, but at least there will be more Cosmere in-between.

Once I finish The Lost Metal, I honestly need to read some summaries/wikis to help me better piece things together. I just took too long reading these to remember everything.

Random thoughts.

Jasnah's handling of Ruthar was awesome, and the storyline with Maya and the Honorspren was great once it got going.

Not Teft!

I definitely didn't expect Taravangian to kill Rayse and then claim Odium's power. I kind of wanted to see where Rayse took things, but it does seem like Taravangian is a more dangerous villain.

Holy **** a seon! I know many find Elantris to be one of his lesser works, but I enjoyed it and definitely can't wait for more Elantris someday.

I don't really need to keep notes anymore on the rest of my reading order, but the final items I had planned are:
  • Other Cosmere short stories
  • Stormlight 5 once it is released later this year

I guess I can read some of the newer standalone as well. Also, anyone read White Sands? I think I saw that a novelization may be released in the future, so I might check it out then.
The Marksman
AG
The Pagan Lord(Saxon Stories Book 7) by Bernard Cornwell
DallasTeleAg
Ghost Story seems to get a lot of negativity from people, but I love such a low-key, personal, introspective story after the epicness of Changes. Every time I go back through Ghost Story, I like it even more.

And then you get the awesomeness of Cold Days and Skin Game.
13B
I'm on it. I'll let you know. Should be done by next week.
YouBet
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Ghost Story seems to get a lot of negativity from people, but I love such a low-key, personal, introspective story after the epicness of Changes. Every time I go back through Ghost Story, I like it even more.

And then you get the awesomeness of Cold Days and Skin Game.

While I didn't love Ghost Story as much as the ones immediately prior to it, it was still really damn good. An interesting take on how he had to make do without his usual bull in a china shop self.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.