Zach Snyder's Rebel Moon

8,872 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by fig96
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Silvertaps said:

YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

Netflix is stupidly trying to manufacture the whole Snydercut thing by releasing a neutered version of the movie now, then the proper version with an hour of additional footage at some point before Part Two drops in April. Also, for some reason, they're telling everyone ahead of time that this is the strategy. When, by all accounts, they should have just released the longer edit now. This version sounds so bad, in fact, that I have a non-refundable ticket to see it in a super nice theater tonight, and I've decided not to go. At this point I'd rather just wait for the proper edit, if I ever even bother to see it at all.

Ridiculous. Are they actually trying to make "The Snyder Cut" a marketable strategy with all of his movies now?

I had read a few days ago Snyder's story was the R rated version, yet Netflix pushed back with requiring it to be PG-13. Snyder has stated it's practically 2 different movies (didn't even sound like he was a big fan of the Netflix version). Curious to see the comparisons between the 2 versions.

In what world does Netflix care that much about an R rating? That sounds like bull**** from Snyder or both of them so they can manufacture demand for "The Snyder Cut".

Meanwhile, I'm watching hyper violence, sex, and nudity in Blue Eyed Samurai.
Silvertaps
AG
YouBet said:

Silvertaps said:

YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

Netflix is stupidly trying to manufacture the whole Snydercut thing by releasing a neutered version of the movie now, then the proper version with an hour of additional footage at some point before Part Two drops in April. Also, for some reason, they're telling everyone ahead of time that this is the strategy. When, by all accounts, they should have just released the longer edit now. This version sounds so bad, in fact, that I have a non-refundable ticket to see it in a super nice theater tonight, and I've decided not to go. At this point I'd rather just wait for the proper edit, if I ever even bother to see it at all.

Ridiculous. Are they actually trying to make "The Snyder Cut" a marketable strategy with all of his movies now?

I had read a few days ago Snyder's story was the R rated version, yet Netflix pushed back with requiring it to be PG-13. Snyder has stated it's practically 2 different movies (didn't even sound like he was a big fan of the Netflix version). Curious to see the comparisons between the 2 versions.

In what world does Netflix care that much about an R rating? That sounds like bull**** from Snyder or both of them so they can manufacture demand for "The Snyder Cut".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/12/20/rebel-moon-will-suffer-because-of-netflixs-obvious-snyder-cut-stunt/amp/

This is the link I was referring to.
HalifaxAg
AG
Turrible turrible turrible...
LB12Diamond
AG
Average plot. Could have easily made it better. Main character letting the obvious bad guy set her up was the worst.

Did like some of the fight scenes. One in the barn was pretty good.
dmart90
AG
Watched it last night. Decent action. Special effects, in some cases were excellent; in others meh.

OK storyline, but man it felt choppy. Felt like a mismash of Magnificent Seven, Star Wars, The Matrix, and Avatar (probably missing others). And not the great parts of those movies. The script and acting was not great. I found myself disinterested quite a bit.

Won't watch again and probably won't watch part 2.
javajaws
AG
I liked it. Fairly derivative of other sci-fi so nothing really groundbreaking and yeah I thought the plot was somewhat simplistic and predictable. But pretty well done overall and none of that stopped me from enjoying it.

It actually got me a little excited about what a future Warhammer series might look like from Cavill as not only do you get hints of Star Wars from this but also Warhammer. I think the people who don't like it probably don't like space opera sci-fi in general but rather only stuff like Star Wars since its so pop culture. I'll watch the longer version when it comes out obviously.
javajaws
AG
dmart90 said:

Watched it last night. Decent action. Special effects, in some cases were excellent; in others meh.

OK storyline, but man it felt choppy. Felt like a mismash of Magnificent Seven, Star Wars, The Matrix, and Avatar (probably missing others). And not the great parts of those movies. The script and acting was not great. I found myself disinterested quite a bit.

Won't watch again and probably won't watch part 2.
I noticed some bit of choppiness as well and wonder if that's related to this being the shortened version? Guess we'll find out in a few months.
double aught
AG
Quote:

Guess we'll find out in a few months
Only from reading about it, personally.
TCTTS
AG
maroon barchetta
Wife and I watched it last night.

Agree with a lot of the things already said in this thread. Way too much slow motion fighting action.

Definite call backs to LOTR, Avatar, Star Wars, and probably some others.

Overall I enjoyed it. They did a good job of making the bad guys pretty fearsome considering they have no regard for life.
Max Power
AG
Tried watching this yesterday but frankly it's unwatchable. It's just a bunch of derivative garbage, it's not smart enough to be an homage to anything. The dialogue sounds like it was written by a middle school student. It's almost all exposition, and what it explains is stupid. The fact this is an edited version of something else doesn't help this film, nor does it excite me for the Snyder cut, which after justice league I thought we were done with. I quit about halfway through, I just couldn't take more than that.
TCTTS
AG
Eliminatus
AG
Max Power said:

Tried watching this yesterday but frankly it's unwatchable. It's just a bunch of derivative garbage, it's not smart enough to be an homage to anything. The dialogue sounds like it was written by a middle school student. It's almost all exposition, and what it explains is stupid. The fact this is an edited version of something else doesn't help this film, nor does it excite me for the Snyder cut, which after justice league I thought we were done with. I quit about halfway through, I just couldn't take more than that.

It's awful. Just plain awful. This was basically a cut and paste of ideas from other movies tossed in a bin and swirled about and then placed on paper like a crazed ransom note consisting of cut out letters from magazines.

This is what a jr high nerd thinks of when they say they can make a movie. My one thought after it finished was "Why did no one stop Snyder from making this? Where was the voice of reason?"

This was a legit 3.5/10
sanaug
AG
Hmmm... If a movie takes my mind off other stuff then IMO it's a good movie. This one did that.
Madmarttigan
AG
Thought y'all were overreacting until the blood axe dude legit attack a ship with a spear and then his minions "noooooo" scream after he died. That whole scene was horrifically and laughably bad.

As for the story it's been told many times before but I don't think it's any more generic than a lot of other crap I've seen. The problem is all these people just jump into the fight and you have no idea who they are and why the hell they immediately join up.

Maybe the extended version would help with backstory and dialogue but don't think it can fix that terrible climax.
maca1028
None of these reviews surprise me. I haven't seen it yet but when I saw the trailer a few months back my thoughts were, it has two things going against it, it's a straight to Netflix movie, and it's directed by Zack Snyder. I think he is one of the most overrated directors in Hollywood. 300 is the only good movie he's been involved in.
Danger Mouse
AG
C+ to B-
Class of '91 (MEEN)
REMARCH11
AG
I agree this is pretty bad.
My wife is making me watch it again because she hasn't seen it. It's way worse the 2nd time around.

To me,.....this has a really, really bad take on 7 Samurai!! I know ita not based off of that, but I can see the influence, and Snyder is way, way off here.

Here to hoping that none if you have tonsit this through a 2nd time!!

Oh yeah.....and the acting sucks and the dialog is worse!!
God,....I really hate the sips!
KidDoc
AG
I enjoyed it for what it is. Some interesting creatures and the fight with the spider lady was pretty awesome. The amount of slow mo was indeed comical.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bonfarr
AG
How obnoxious is Ed Skrein in this movie? I have received lots of recs from friends to watch but when I saw Skrein in it I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I can't stand the guy and his performance in Midway made we want to puke.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
YouBet said:

Silvertaps said:

YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

Could be budget vs target audience size. PG13 makes it more widely viewable, which you need for really large budget projects. BES doesn't have nearly the same budget, so it doesn't need the same number of eyeballs.
C1NRB
AG
I "tried" to watch it last night. I made it through the whole thing. Barely.
While it was on, I watched MLB and NFL card breaks on my phone. Didn't miss a thing.
1/2 star.
Faustus
The Rebel Moon Part Deux - The Scargiver countdown is on.

Only 10 more days until Netflix (somewhat sheepishly judging by the lack of promos) drops it.

At least we're not dealing with a potential death dealer here.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I just finished part 2. Not great, but is actually entertaining compared to the first one imo. They dialed back the slo-mo 50%. Still too much, but it is bearable this time around.
javajaws
AG
I find most scenes in this movie both impeccably perfect and yet at the same time totally overdone and cliche. Oh and also very smokey. So much smoke everywhere I feel like it's being overused much like lens flare. This movie is like the kitchen sink of sci fi - nothing original, and everything ready to be flushed down the garbage disposal.

2/10
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
It does make me wonder, with his zombie series basically flaming out and now this, how many more chances will ZS get before people are done with giving him hundreds of millions of dollars per movie?
Col. Steve Austin
AG
So part one currently on Netflix, is it the "Snydercut" or the full length version?
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
c-jags
Col. Steve Austin said:

So part one currently on Netflix, is it the "Snydercut" or the full length version?

I think Snyder cut is coming this summer.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
c-jags said:

Col. Steve Austin said:

From what I understood from earlier in the thread, the long version of part one was supposed to drop before part two was released.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
c-jags
Col. Steve Austin said:

c-jags said:

Col. Steve Austin said:

From what I understood from earlier in the thread, the long version of part one was supposed to drop before part two was released.

Quote:

Snyder has provided Forbes with a rough release window for the Rebel Moon director cuts, and of this writing, both versions are still on track to arrive later this year.

"We don't have a hard date but probably sometime in August," Snyder said.

Quote:

The director also said that the violent cut of Rebel Moon will premiere in the summer of 2024, which will be months after the release of Rebel Moon Part II.

I'm not a giant Snyder defender but I enjoyed most of his director cuts more than the theatrical releases . JL as we saw it by Weedon was a 2/10 movie. Snyder's version was a 6 or 7/10. He's a nerd and far from amazing director but I can tell he does love movie making and just making it fun for audiences, not critics.

I will say that from interviews and the JL's cast desire to come back and film his version does genuinely point to him being a nice person. His Rogan interview warmed me a good bit, to just being a film nerd.
fig96
AG
Was looking for the Director's Cut and couldn't find it, was coming to the thread to check if it had in fact dropped because the original plan was for it to come out before Part 2...guess that didn't work out.

Planning to watch Part 2 sometime in the next week or two but thought Part 1 was just kind of bland and formulaic. Some decent action sequences and it looked very cinematic, but it didn't have any characters that I cared much about.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.